SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Is the R32 (A) not running anymore? I was up at Dyckman today around 5 and figured I'd wait a little longer to see if I could catch the RFW, but there were no Brightliners to be found. 

The R32  (A) can come out anytime in the p.m rush. It could come out earlier or later. I remember catching the R68A  (A) at Fulton earlier too. 

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late 1970s/Early 1980s. Was due to Manhattan Bridge having problems (Mainly on the North Side) and first they did that reroute then they split the line with Trains from the Bronx turning at West 4th Street (Later changed to 34th Street) with trains from Brooklyn via Broadway.

The (D) Train via Essex Street actually happened in both directions. Trains toward Coney Island Bound went to Essex Street via the cut, had Train operator changed ends going through Montague tube. Trains heading towards 205th Street went via Montague to Essex Street, changed ends and went via the cut to Broadway-Lafayette Street

I heard the trains did went via 6th Avenue local to avoid switching delays at West 4th Street.

You know, when I was a young boy, around that time I did remember seeing a set of R42 (D) trains moving through Chambers Street. Never knew why either

Just saw Cuomo's rendering for the USB ports on subways ( :huh: ).Any chance the strip maps on this "train" are the new design for the R179 and R211?

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/thumbnails/image/WirelessHotspot_USBChargingStations.jpg

^Just put this in another browser window.The rendering is waaay too big to post here.

He also announced renovations of 30 station (my home station is one of them :drool: )

The MTA will revamp the design guidelines for subway stations to improve their look and feel, then put them in place at 30 stations across the entire system which will be completely renewed. These cleaner, brighter stations will be easier to navigate, with better and more intuitive wayfinding, as well as a modernized look and feel.

The MTA will use design-build procurement to deliver the projects more quickly, at a lower cost and with better quality, as a single contractor will be held accountable for cost, schedule and performance. Stations will be closed to give contractors unfettered access with a singular focus – get in, get done and get out.

Work on the majority of these 30 stations will be completed by 2018, and all will be finished by 2020, with timeframe for redevelopments from start to finish being reduced by more than 50 percent. On average, station redevelopments are expected to take between six and 12 months. Comparatively, under the previous piecemeal approach, station redevelopments relying on night and weekend closures could take two to three years or more to be completed.

The stations are:

in Brooklyn:

Prospect Av, 53 Street, Bay Ridge Av (R) 

Flushing Av and Classon Av (G)

Clinton-Washington, Van Siclen and Kignston-Throop on the (C)

In the Bronx:

174-175 Sts and 167 St on the (B)(D)

Westchester Sq, 3 Av-138 St, Brook Av and Hunts Point Av on the (6)

Pelham Pkwy (5)

In Staten Island:

Richmond Valley and Arthur Kill

In Manhattan:

163 St (C)

110 St, 86 St and 72 St (B)(C)

23 St (F)(M)

57 St (F)

145 St (3)

28 St (6)

In Queens:

30 Av, Broadway, 36 Av and 39 Av (N)(Q)

Parsons Blvd (F)

67 Av(m) (R)

Northern Blvd (M)(R)

One more thing: Get rid of the refrigerator tiles when you redo Bay Ridge Avenue, please!

Just saw Cuomo's rendering for the USB ports on subways ( :huh: ).Any chance the strip maps on this "train" are the new design for the R179 and R211?

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/thumbnails/image/WirelessHotspot_USBChargingStations.jpg

^Just put this in another browser window.The rendering is waaay too big to post here.

My list of transit requests:

1) better service

2) a full length 2nd Ave subway (Bronx to Brooklyn)

1,491) a charging port for my phone.

I'm glad Cuomo has his priorities straight.

They better not replace good tiles with something that's ugly as hell, like they did to 49 Street and 4th avenue.

Although, it would be nice if 57 Street got some real tiles and not something that looks like it was left while under construction.

Edited by P3F

Those charging ports on the subway sound great on paper, but a horrible idea in practice. Vandalism, robberies, need I go on?

IMHO those charging ports should stay on MNRR/LIRR and the express buses.

I agree. I can only imagine people missing their stops because they are too busy charging their phone.

Why is the n/b 8 Av express so slow?

Timers, timers and more timers.

Just saw Cuomo's rendering for the USB ports on subways ( :huh: ).

And one year (if that long) after these trains go into service it'll be all over the news that someone figured out how to put a bug (virus) into these ports and BOOM, security risk, just like those chargers in the parks.

Not true! That is generally the put-in it follows. At least, that has been the practice--just like the 18:53 R68/A. Those are exceptions to the rule more than the practice.

Only the R68/A follows it. The R32 does not. They don't always do the Dyckman Street put in. They have made the R32 start earlier or later and I've caught it at different times. Hell there was a good amount times when it went to Far Rockaway for the Rush instead of Lefferts.

And btw the R32 (A) Train Thursday left 207th Street around 7;00 PM doing a round trip to Lefferts. 

And Friday it was 7:15 or something it left 207th Street. 

Caught it both days out of nowhere.

Edited by Daniel The Cool