SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

If you ask me, Corona should be taking of those stickers or any remnants of the (7) before transferring them to Westchester yard, since Westchester for some reason has an abnormal reputation of bad maintenance, they probably figure that's extra work for them to deal with from somebody else doing at the moment. At the same time, the R62As fleets for years have been passed around like "hot potatoes" to were even now you have 240th St (1) sets running on the (6). Stickers are not a big deal when it comes to having enough trains to make up service on a certain subway line.

They FINALLY got around to updating the strip maps on the (2) & (5) R142 sets, so who knows maybe they'll divert there attention to some of the nonsense of the stickers or maps or whatever on the R62As.

I don't know why the R62/62A have their stickers when they don't mean shit anymore. It's different on the eastern division when some of their R160's have those Orange stickers. (83xx sets)

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why the R62/62A have their stickers when they don't mean shit anymore. It's different on the eastern division when some of their R160's have those Orange stickers. (83xx sets)

Believe me, that's a situation I wouldn't waste my time or breath on. It is what it is and it's not affecting subway operations.

When there are issues on the Express tracks why do they send all trains local as opposed to sending the express trains "express on the local" to mitigate delays and increase throughput on limited track space?

For example, if there is an issue on Queens Blvd, instead of sending all trains local. Hold the (R) train and send the (E) and/or (F) express in front of it so they can be on their way. The (R) can follow them and make all local stops, and now you've had 3 trains get through in less time, with less cascading delays.

When there are issues on the Express tracks why do they send all trains local as opposed to sending the express trains "express on the local" to mitigate delays and increase throughput on limited track space?

For example, if there is an issue on Queens Blvd, instead of sending all trains local. Hold the (R) train and send the (E) and/or (F) express in front of it so they can be on their way. The (R) can follow them and make all local stops, and now you've had 3 trains get through in less time, with less cascading delays.

I was caught in the delay and my train ran local from QP to 74 St, and then ran express via the local to 71, and then switched to the express track before 75th.

Well, good news for transport in the newly created Grand Paris Region. The Grand Paris Express, as of today, is fully funded. 200 Kilometers of track and over 60 new stations for the suburbs of Paris. This will include extensions of the existing Line 14 in the north and south. The northern section began construction on September 9th, 2014. The (first) eastward Line 11 extension has also begun. Completely new, automated, lines 15, 16, 17, and 18 will be constructed as well. Meanwhile in the New York Metropolitan area, we are still begging for funds to keep the MTA transit systems in shape. What does it take for this city, state, and country to seriously invest in transit?

Sometimes they do that, but one has to be careful with this approach. Remember, express-on-the-local trains still have to slow down rather dramatically at each station, so the additional throughput isn't quite that much. Furthermore, by holding that (R) train, the local platforms along the way are now filling up - Now when you're trying to send the next E/F pair Exp-on-the-Lcl, they're behind an already delayed R train that is dwelling longer than normal at each station and they'll quickly be right on it's tail. What's the sense in running express on the local if you're holding outside every station for 30 seconds waiting for the mid-platform-signal to clear. 

In my experience they'll usually start with express-on-the-local service adjustments, but once the conga line forms, better to have everyone stop everywhere. 

Well, good news for transport in the newly created Grand Paris Region. The Grand Paris Express, as of today, is fully funded. 200 Kilometers of track and over 60 new stations for the suburbs of Paris. This will include extensions of the existing Line 14 in the north and south. The northern section began construction on September 9th, 2014. The (first) eastward Line 11 extension has also begun. Completely new, automated, lines 15, 16, 17, and 18 will be constructed as well. Meanwhile in the New York Metropolitan area, we are still begging for funds to keep the MTA transit systems in shape. What does it take for this city, state, and country to seriously invest in transit?

Total car-pocalypse. I'm starting to think thats the only thing that'll get peolpe out of their cars...

Sometimes they do that, but one has to be careful with this approach. Remember, express-on-the-local trains still have to slow down rather dramatically at each station, so the additional throughput isn't quite that much. Furthermore, by holding that (R) train, the local platforms along the way are now filling up - Now when you're trying to send the next E/F pair Exp-on-the-Lcl, they're behind an already delayed R train that is dwelling longer than normal at each station and they'll quickly be right on it's tail. What's the sense in running express on the local if you're holding outside every station for 30 seconds waiting for the mid-platform-signal to clear. 

In my experience they'll usually start with express-on-the-local service adjustments, but once the conga line forms, better to have everyone stop everywhere. 

They said that sending the (R) past 71st Ave is expensive, but can't they just run it express to 179th so that they can get them (R) 's out of the way, then turn them back to 71st Ave? Or are they worried about the extra mileage?

They said that sending the (R) past 71st Ave is expensive, but can't they just run it express to 179th so that they can get them (R) 's out of the way, then turn them back to 71st Ave? Or are they worried about the extra mileage?

I mean, I think sending the R past 71st is expensive as a regularly scheduled service - the issue with doing it in response to an unplanned change is different: Even on an express run, it's a 20-25 Minute round trip to 179 from 71.

So, what about southbound service? This train is already delayed, mind you, by the express on the local scenario described - so unless you have trains and crews waiting at Jamaica Yard ready to pinch-hit (spoiler alert: you don't) 

What will easily happen is there will be a 45 minute gap in Southbound R service, and all hell breaks loose. And I'm not just talking about queens. Crowding on platforms will impact the N/Q/D/ trains which will ripple to the B the F - the M is probably already suspended under this scenario, so the J is overtaxed as it is. 

So, extending the R to 179 is not quite a viable "quick fix" option for delays on QBL. 

But, you could just turn the thing on the express tracks at union turnpike assuming the trouble zone isn't that far back and there aren't any trains laid up there. 

Total car-pocalypse. I'm starting to think thats the only thing that'll get peolpe out of their cars...

I agree. And you know what makes it more amazing? None of the new lines go into the city. It's solely for the suburban region around Paris itself. Transit lines to make Suburban commute easier as well as provide new routes into the city.

Maybe Daniel L. Turner was right. A Metropolitan Transit System to connect the outlying suburbs with the many business centers in the region. I still want to know where the State's contribution to the Capital Program is coming from.

Walking transfer at 63rd St.

It’s about as available as 57 Street–7 Avenue from 7 Avenue/53 Street—maybe even less considering the depth of the platforms and how inconvenient it is to even move between the platforms and the surface.

I mean, I think sending the R past 71st is expensive as a regularly scheduled service - the issue with doing it in response to an unplanned change is different: Even on an express run, it's a 20-25 Minute round trip to 179 from 71.

So, what about southbound service? This train is already delayed, mind you, by the express on the local scenario described - so unless you have trains and crews waiting at Jamaica Yard ready to pinch-hit (spoiler alert: you don't) 

What will easily happen is there will be a 45 minute gap in Southbound R service, and all hell breaks loose. And I'm not just talking about queens. Crowding on platforms will impact the N/Q/D/ trains which will ripple to the B the F - the M is probably already suspended under this scenario, so the J is overtaxed as it is. 

So, extending the R to 179 is not quite a viable "quick fix" option for delays on QBL. 

But, you could just turn the thing on the express tracks at union turnpike assuming the trouble zone isn't that far back and there aren't any trains laid up there. 

Union turnpike would help at least.

Perhaps they could send the (R) express on the local to 71st Ave,and the (E) and (F) local behind it. By going express but still terminating at 71st Ave people will get off and wait at Roosevelt for a local train, so it will be quick to clear the train at 71st and get it out the station.

The main issue isn't local service for me, it's the delays and congestion combined with sitting behind terminating (R) trains.

There have been times where all trains are going local on the weekends and you'll have  Manhattan bound (E) and (F) trains held at 75th Ave because of a (R) train sitting at 71'st Ave.  <_< 

I will admit that at least once I've seen (E) and (F) trains through routed while (R) trains dwell on the Express track until it's ready to leave. Now, THAT is a reasonable solution because the (R) is not holding up service, if they simply do things like that, people would hate the MTA less. Get us to where we're going, chill with the "train traffic". Put up nets/barriers to stop the "slow zones".  

For me, i'd prefer they shut lines down and get the work done as opposed to 20 weekends and weeknights of 10mph, local, and delay riddled service.

Also, I heard somewhere that sometimes they have to do more frequent repair work because they don't allow enough time for the track bed to cure before re-instituting service?

Union turnpike would help at least.

Perhaps they could send the (R) express on the local to 71st Ave,and the (E) and (F) local behind it. By going express but still terminating at 71st Ave people will get off and wait at Roosevelt for a local train, so it will be quick to clear the train at 71st and get it out the station.

The main issue isn't local service for me, it's the delays and congestion combined with sitting behind terminating (R) trains.

I feel your pain on the terminal delays, but - if we're talking about an UNPLANNED reroute, E/F local, R express-on-the-local is about the worst possible solution. All the riders expecting the R to stop locally will have to move to the E and the F and the E and F riders will foolishly mob the R with the promise of express service. 

There have been times where all trains are going local on the weekends and you'll have  Manhattan bound (E) and (F) trains held at 75th Ave because of a (R) train sitting at 71'st Ave.  <_<

I will admit that at least once I've seen (E) and (F) trains through routed while (R) trains dwell on the Express track until it's ready to leave. Now, THAT is a reasonable solution because the (R) is not holding up service, if they simply do things like that, people would hate the MTA less. Get us to where we're going, chill with the "train traffic". Put up nets/barriers to stop the "slow zones".

I haven't seen anything that bad in a while. When they do full-local-queens-blvd weekends, which are pretty rare, recently they've been sending the R to 179. That's a viable solution for a PLANNED reroute because you'll have the 2 extra trains required by the longer route ready to go. There were a lot of complaints of the conga-line weekends where the delays stacked from 71st all the way to northern blvd, and I haven't seen anything quite like that in a while. 

The manhattan bound situation you describe might not be (R) trains SITTING at forest hills. When all services are local, I've never seen that. But, if the E or F train is at 71 ave as an R train is coming out of the yard, by the time it traverses the yard leads, gets into the station, boards, and clears the blocks - you're sitting at 75 for 2 minutes. 

The bottom line is, 71st is a terrible terminal, always has been. I think thats the only place in the system where you have a service terminating on the local tracks and then through service on the express tracks. it would be nice to build a new terminal for local services on a spur of the line but that's not gonna happen anytime soon or ever. 

I wish they'd change that "Train Traffic" announcement. People hear Traffic and they think of the context "Traffic Jam" and not the intended context of "A train is in the block in front of us, or crossing ahead of us". I think "we've stopped momentarily for a red signal" would be psychologically better but, eh. 

I feel your pain on the terminal delays, but - if we're talking about an UNPLANNED reroute, E/F local, R express-on-the-local is about the worst possible solution. All the riders expecting the R to stop locally will have to move to the E and the F and the E and F riders will foolishly mob the R with the promise of express service.

I haven't seen anything that bad in a while. When they do full-local-queens-blvd weekends, which are pretty rare, recently they've been sending the R to 179. That's a viable solution for a PLANNED reroute because you'll have the 2 extra trains required by the longer route ready to go. There were a lot of complaints of the conga-line weekends where the delays stacked from 71st all the way to northern blvd, and I haven't seen anything quite like that in a while.

The manhattan bound situation you describe might not be (R) trains SITTING at forest hills. When all services are local, I've never seen that. But, if the E or F train is at 71 ave as an R train is coming out of the yard, by the time it traverses the yard leads, gets into the station, boards, and clears the blocks - you're sitting at 75 for 2 minutes.

The bottom line is, 71st is a terrible terminal, always has been. I think thats the only place in the system where you have a service terminating on the local tracks and then through service on the express tracks. it would be nice to build a new terminal for local services on a spur of the line but that's not gonna happen anytime soon or ever.

I wish they'd change that "Train Traffic" announcement. People hear Traffic and they think of the context "Traffic Jam" and not the intended context of "A train is in the block in front of us, or crossing ahead of us". I think "we've stopped momentarily for a red signal" would be psychologically better but, eh.

168 St & Euclid Av have the same setup (local terminating/express thru service), and Utica Av & Brighton Beach have the opposite setup (express terminating/local thru service)