SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just blew the picture up in Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition and its most likely real.

The train in the frame is leaning a little bit to the left.If it was flipped the LEDs would lean towards the right and the rubber casing would appear 'cut' or wouldn't line up properly.I don't see that here.

There's that and the glow also wouldn't line up properly with the rest. This has to be real. My question is why was there a (9) on the (6) line to begin with.

I just blew the picture up in Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition and its most likely real.

The train in the frame is leaning a little bit to the left.If it was flipped the LEDs would lean towards the right and the rubber casing would appear 'cut' or wouldn't line up properly.I don't see that here.

Then somebody must be REAL good with photoshopping/pixels and really put the effort to make this look realistic. Edited by Priincenene

I would say it was a 10% chance of being a sign change, none of us know if there's any program for a (9) still.

The MTA has various codes that aren't even used at all anymore. If they can have a "Bx26 to Fordham Center" code for their buses that's still programmable to this day (even though that routing was discontinued a long time ago), then surely there can still be a (9) program still in existence.

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Theres no damn (9) on the (6) . Someone posted this on FB then YOU took the photo and shared it on here.

Two things:

1. I said why was there a R142A (9) on the (6).

2. You heard what AroundtheHorn said. No body would waste their time to fake this.

The MTA has various codes that aren't even used at all anymore. If they can have a "Bx26 to Fordham Center" code for their buses that's still programmable to this day (even though that routing was discontinued a long time ago), then surely there can still be a (9) program still in existence.

Just like how there's still a (V) to Canarise. I have a question though, that SDS Visual Test that the R142A's have, does that also count for the front signs to?

I have a question though, that SDS Visual Test that the R142A's have, does that also count for the front signs to?

Nope. If I'm not mistaken (which I don't think I am) the SDS test only happens on one car of the entire train, while all the other signs (on other cars and the front / back) are set to whatever program the T/O sets it to.

It really is a shame that they are converting the half-width cabs to full - width cabs.

I'm just going to say this, Westchester is HORRIBLE at maintaining their subway fleet. I have not once seen a R62A on the (7) look as dirty as it did on the (6). Corona takes care of their subway cars, the factory sets STILL look good until this day. Even the signs aren't as glitchy as they were on the (6). Half of Coronas converted R188 sets have messed up signs, which is a direct fault of Westchester. And the R62A's on the (6)? They don't even BOTHER to take off the old maps or the old stickers. It really is appalling.

Question, from riding MN everyday to the city, I always notice that there is at least 1 R142A car on a flatbed that isn't a "C" car (unless I got my car numbers mixed up again). Does anyone know if this is just a regular "B" car?

It really is a shame that they are converting the half-width cabs to full - width cabs.

I'm just going to say this, Westchester is HORRIBLE at maintaining their subway fleet. I have not once seen a R62A on the (7) look as dirty as it did on the (6). Corona takes care of their subway cars, the factory sets STILL look good until this day. Even the signs aren't as glitchy as they were on the (6). Half of Coronas converted R188 sets have messed up signs, which is a direct fault of Westchester. And the R62A's on the (6)? They don't even BOTHER to take off the old maps or the old stickers. It really is appalling.

Question, from riding MN everyday to the city, I always notice that there is at least 1 R142A car on a flatbed that isn't a "C" car (unless I got my car numbers mixed up again). Does anyone know if this is just a regular "B" car?

Yes.There are technically two C cars in each 11 car train.One is new(7900 series) the other is converted from a B car.

Long time ago (1980s likely), before the line had R68s.

Late 1970s/Early 1980s. Was due to Manhattan Bridge having problems (Mainly on the North Side) and first they did that reroute then they split the line with Trains from the Bronx turning at West 4th Street (Later changed to 34th Street) with trains from Brooklyn via Broadway. 

The (D) Train via Essex Street actually happened in both directions. Trains toward Coney Island Bound went to Essex Street via the cut, had Train operator changed ends going through Montague tube. Trains heading towards 205th Street went via Montague to Essex Street, changed ends and went via the cut to Broadway-Lafayette Street

I heard the trains did went via 6th Avenue local to avoid switching delays at West 4th Street.

If you ask me, Corona should be taking of those stickers or any remnants of the (7) before transferring them to Westchester yard, since Westchester for some reason has an abnormal reputation of bad maintenance, they probably figure that's extra work for them to deal with from somebody else doing at the moment. At the same time, the R62As fleets for years have been passed around like "hot potatoes" to were even now you have 240th St (1) sets running on the (6). Stickers are not a big deal when it comes to having enough trains to make up service on a certain subway line.

They FINALLY got around to updating the strip maps on the (2) & (5) R142 sets, so who knows maybe they'll divert there attention to some of the nonsense of the stickers or maps or whatever on the R62As.