SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Well, there was a pilot program to install cameras on subway trains that happened back in 2010-2012. It was the pilot program that included the folded seats as well on a specific R160 car, along with cameras but it failed. Correct me If I'm wrong.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was a pilot program to install cameras on subway trains that happened back in 2010-2012. It was the pilot program that included the folded seats as well on a specific R160 car, along with cameras but it failed. Correct me If I'm wrong.

i remember the folded seats! Also I saw one set, I think that one, with straphangers.

I'm pretty new to this forum so I'm not fully up to snuff with the lingo. What's an RFW and a G.O.? I googled them but apparently nyc transit enthusiasts are a small community (who would've thought /s/). Any other terms I should probably know?

RFW=railfan window, like when you look out of the r32's storm door on the first car as if you are driving a train

G.O.=general overhaul, like when a part of a line is suspended and needs to be repaired for the time being.

And welcome to the forums.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I'm pretty new to this forum so I'm not fully up to snuff with the lingo. What's an RFW and a G.O.? I googled them but apparently nyc transit enthusiasts are a small community (who would've thought /s/). Any other terms I should probably know?

Welcome to the forum, RFW means Rail Fan Window-front or back view of the train which are and were normally found on the older train models (in retrospect there's no motorman cab in the way and a clear view of the tracks inside or outside.)

A G.O. means General Order, when a line is diverged to a certain track or subway route during time of contruction or maintenance work. For example, the (5) travels on the (2) in manhattan or the (1) running express btw 96th & 145th street instead of running its normal local route or when the (7) its cut btw 34th St hudson yards & queensboro plaza.

Another term is CBTC, Communication-Based Train Control is when the exact position of a train is known more accurately than with the traditional signaling systems. It makes use of the telecommunications between the train and track equipment for the traffic management and infrastructure control. The goal is having trains running "closer" together to reduce waiting times and heavy crowds on platforms during rush hours. This system is already implemented on the (L) and currently being installed on the (7), hence the G.O. term and eventually on the Queens Blvd line.

Edited by jon2305

I was on a (4) train the other day that got held up at 149th for some reason, and I'm guessing when the C/R went to put the "train traffic" announcement on he reset the whole route program by mistake. There's nothing like hearing "The next stop is Franklin Avenue" while you're in the Bronx  :lol:

Interesting, I'd like to see these on the R142s.

It's been a long time coming actually, especially after they started mixing the (2) and (5) sets around...

I'm not sure if this deserves another thread but I've been stuck on this for quite a while now,

img_24036.jpg

I thought that when the blue stripes were removed off the R44's that they left a metal stripe in it's place since the metal couldn't be taken off, however, in this photo there's a R46 with the same stripe, but the metal stripe wasn't there on the current R46's. Can someone explain this for me please?

* From yesterday, sample strip maps were seen at Barclays Center as part of a survey for the (2)(5) lines

map.jpg

I thought they already have the double strip maps on some (2) and (5) R142's. I haven't been on the (2) and (5) in a long time but I feel like I seen it before because everytime I get on the now (5) I'm looking for those unique strip maps. I thought they had both the (2) and (5) and it would light up for whatever route is was using.

I thought that when the blue stripes were removed off the R44's that they left a metal stripe in it's place since the metal couldn't be taken off, however, in this photo there's a R46 with the same stripe, but the metal stripe wasn't there on the current R46's. Can someone explain this for me please?

Can you rephrase the question? That photo is of a pre-GOH R46 with its original blue stripes, which have retained some of the graffiti that was acid-washed off of the stainless steel section.

Not really my speed, but hard to beat $1 for these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-New-York-City-Subway-Signs-Vintage-1990s-Trains-Transit-Service-Notices-/191752999407?hash=item2ca55e91ef:g:Dy8AAOSw0HVWDUG1

Edited by MHV9218

So the R44's and R46's used different body's which is why the R46 dosen't have that metal stripe like the R44's did?

I honestly don't know how to phrase this question :P

Every car after the R38's including the R32's are stainless steel.

The difference between the R44 and R46 is that the R44's had a carbon underbody which deteriorated so they had to be taken out of service and retired. All that graffiti in the 1970's and 1980's took its toll on the body of the R44's. I believe they used a special type of acid to get rid of the graffiti off the cars. The R46's don't have that and that is why they are still holding up.