SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Glad I decided to change my route today. Instead of taking the (6) from 138th Street to Bleecker Street, I decided to take the (4) at 125 Street. When I went to cross transfer at 14 Street, the (6) looked like it overshot the platform by half a train length. I assume someone pulled the emergency brakes because how would one be able to overshot a station that has such a tight curve? Now I'm at Brooklyn Bridge as I await an M9 or M22 to take me the rest of the way.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like one of the commuters said, the NYC Subway has become a "zoo". Its almost impossible to ride the trains in peace without having constant disruptions and bull****. This is why I feel bad for the younger generation of kids who are exposed to this type of garbage. Welcome to the MTA people.

But some of the younger generation of kids contribute to the zoo like behavior on subways too.

Like one of the commuters said, the NYC Subway has become a "zoo". Its almost impossible to ride the trains in peace without having constant disruptions and bull****. This is why I feel bad for the younger generation of kids who are exposed to this type of garbage. Welcome to the MTA people.

"Become"? It's probably the best it's ever been, behavior-wise.

Probably been brought up on here many times before, but what is the deal with subway countdown clocks pausing (I believe on purpose) at 5 minutes, when a train is delayed....

Happened to me this morning on the (2) @ Church.... Got there around 5:23 (train usually pulls in at 5:26)... I see about 30 people or so by the MVM's & token booth area waiting for the train, before swiping their metro's & what not (which is a sign that a train is delayed anyway, as people are biding their time to see just how late the train is - if it's too late, they resort to plan B in order to get where they have to go, as to not waste a fare)...... (I) Look up at the countdown clock, and sure enough, at 5:28, it showed as the next train to arrive in, yep... 5 minutes.....

I stay around to 5:30, and the damn thing read "Delay".... At that point, I left the station & took a taxi to LIRR ENY - as the next B12 out would have got me @ Junius after 6:02 (when the next EB LIRR train usually reaches ENY)..... Didn't feel like walking from Church to Clarkson today anyway.....

But has anyone else noticed that about the countdown clocks?

I have seen instances where the thing went from 5 minutes to 2 minutes.... I'm laughing like, really.....

Bottom line is this:

If the train is delayed, just display Delay from jump & get it over with.... Not giving riders false hope like what's currently being done (this is far from just one occurrence, which is why I pose the original question as posted) - showing Delay after waiting 5+ minutes more than the 5 minutes originally shown.....

If by "zoo" you mean an increasing annoyance, then I'd have to concur.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Probably been brought up on here many times before, but what is the deal with subway countdown clocks pausing (I believe on purpose) at 5 minutes, when a train is delayed....

Happened to me this morning on the (2) @ Church.... Got there around 5:23 (train usually pulls in at 5:26)... I see about 30 people or so by the MVM's & token booth area waiting for the train, before swiping their metro's & what not (which is a sign that a train is delayed anyway, as people are biding their time to see just how late the train is - if it's too late, they resort to plan B in order to get where they have to go, as to not waste a fare)...... (I) Look up at the countdown clock, and sure enough, at 5:28, it showed as the next train to arrive in, yep... 5 minutes.....

I stay around to 5:30, and the damn thing read "Delay".... At that point, I left the station & took a taxi to LIRR ENY - as the next B12 out would have got me @ Junius after 6:02 (when the next EB LIRR train usually reaches ENY)..... Didn't feel like walking from Church to Clarkson today anyway.....

I have seen instances where the thing went from 5 minutes to 2 minutes.... I'm laughing like, really.....

Bottom line is this:

If the train is delayed, just display Delay from jump & get it over with.... Not giving riders false hope like what's currently being done (this is far from just one occurrence, which is why I pose the original question as posted) - showing Delay after waiting 5+ minutes more than the 5 minutes originally shown.....

If by "zoo" you mean an increasing annoyance, then I'd have to concur.....

Better yet I have seen trains that were due to arrive in 2 minutes not even show up at all. Worst was when I was on 59th/Lex waiting for an uptown express train (around 9 pm) and a (5) was shown to arrive in 2 minutes. 5 minutes pass and that's still the case, a (5) due in 2 minutes. Next minute that train comes off the screen entirely (having not come into the station) and the next one is shown to be a (4) in 4 minutes. I go on and walk up to the (6) platform and find guess what, a (4) pulling in. If trains are being re-routed from the express to the local track, which was the case, then there should be some announcement letting riders know that instead of having riders stand there thinking these clocks are off on their own accord. One thing riders might not understand is that these times are not based on precise locations but rather the signal blocks the train is passing. If an express hauls ass in between stations it can make the next stop in a shorter time frame than would be guessed based on the distance between the signals. I've seen this happen with (4) trains that were 4 minutes away from 125th NB and then 2 minutes later the train is pulling in. I would have no clue what triggers the 'Delay' being displayed in place of a number.

I am also one who likes to wait at stations in the area before the turnstiles. I started making this a habit commuting from Baruch and the first I would do is check the clocks at the NB platform and take a peek at the SB clocks and decide if I should backtrack (take a SB train to Union Sq for NB service) or just get on a Northbound train. 

On a side note, the Lexington Av/59th station is a safety hazard at this point. The stairs leading to/from the (N)(Q)(R) platforms to the Lex platforms are far too narrow for the masses that make that transfer. The last thing I want to do is to have to walk along the damn edge of the platform where any random nut could push me on the tracks to move around a station and I have to do that a lot at 59th/Lex to make the transfer there.

Bottom line is this:

It's a distance thing. If the train isn't moving, those clocks aren't changing. I see this frequently at 51 St while waiting for the uptown (6).

Better yet I have seen trains that were due to arrive in 2 minutes not even show up at all. Worst was when I was on 59th/Lex waiting for an uptown express train (around 9 pm) and a (5) was shown to arrive in 2 minutes. 5 minutes pass and that's still the case, a (5) due in 2 minutes. Next minute that train comes off the screen entirely (having not come into the station) and the next one is shown to be a (4) in 4 minutes. I go on and walk up to the (6) platform and find guess what, a (4) pulling in. If trains are being re-routed from the express to the local track, which was the case, then there should be some announcement letting riders know that instead of having riders stand there thinking these clocks are off on their own accord. One thing riders might not understand is that these times are not based on precise locations but rather the signal blocks the train is passing. If an express hauls ass in between stations it can make the next stop in a shorter time frame than would be guessed based on the distance between the signals. I've seen this happen with (4) trains that were 4 minutes away from 125th NB and then 2 minutes later the train is pulling in. I would have no clue what triggers the 'Delay' being displayed in place of a number.

I am also one who likes to wait at stations in the area before the turnstiles. I started making this a habit commuting from Baruch and the first I would do is check the clocks at the NB platform and take a peek at the SB clocks and decide if I should backtrack (take a SB train to Union Sq for NB service) or just get on a Northbound train. 

On a side note, the Lexington Av/59th station is a safety hazard at this point. The stairs leading to/from the (N)(Q)(R) platforms to the Lex platforms are far too narrow for the masses that make that transfer. The last thing I want to do is to have to walk along the damn edge of the platform where any random nut could push me on the tracks to move around a station and I have to do that a lot at 59th/Lex to make the transfer there.

Thankfully that has never happened to me. The clocks may get "stuck" at two minutes way more often than I'd prefer, but I've never lost a train.

I can concur with the assessment of Lexington Av/59 St. The Broadway platform in general is too narrow for the riders that station gets. Unfortunately, it's yet another one of those stations that can't be modified without a complete rebuild.

I can concur with the assessment of Lexington Av/59 St. The Broadway platform in general is too narrow for the riders that station gets. Unfortunately, it's yet another one of those stations that can't be modified without a complete rebuild.

Side platforms for exiting. That wouldn't be a complete rebuild, but it'd still be very difficult (and expensive) with the buildings and tunnels over and under.

Glad I decided to change my route today. Instead of taking the (6) from 138th Street to Bleecker Street, I decided to take the (4) at 125 Street. When I went to cross transfer at 14 Street, the (6) looked like it overshot the platform by half a train length. I assume someone pulled the emergency brakes because how would one be able to overshot a station that has such a tight curve? Now I'm at Brooklyn Bridge as I await an M9 or M22 to take me the rest of the way.

I do remember I was on the (A) and it overshot the platform at N. Conduit Av and only the first car was not at the platform. Also years ago, I was with my mom on the (6) and the train just left the station and all the sudden the train stopped. Someone most likely pulled the e-brake. Minutes later, I saw workers on the right side of the train and then the train finally got moving.

Had a huge blast on the (7) today lol. Haven't rode the line since the so-called R188s began running on the line (and at the same time, R62As getting their half-width cabs converted to full-width cabs). But l was glad, the R62A train I took had an RFW on the Flushing-bound side, unlike the Manhattan-bound side.

Did a little experiment today. I took the (B) from Kings Highway to Newkirk Plaza after getting off the (Q). From that station, the (B) and (Q) left at exactly the same time. I got off the (B) and waited for the (Q) at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center. The (Q) took 4~5 minutes to arrive. Either the slow order along the open cut slowed down the (Q), or the (B) actually saves that much time over a full-speed (Q). I'll have to do this again next time.

Did a little experiment today. I took the (B) from Kings Highway to Newkirk Plaza after getting off the (Q). From that station, the (B) and (Q) left at exactly the same time. I got off the (B) and waited for the (Q) at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center. The (Q) took 4~5 minutes to arrive. Either the slow order along the open cut slowed down the (Q), or the (B) actually saves that much time over a full-speed (Q). I'll have to do this again next time.

Slow order is in effect.

Slow order is in effect.

Only seemed to affect the (Q) the past few weeks. The (B) makes a quick dash between Prospect Park and Newkirk Plaza in both directions, only slowing down when descending the ramp at Avenue H. I wonder if the slow order affects a longer length along outer tracks.

Only seemed to affect the (Q) the past few weeks. The (B) makes a quick dash between Prospect Park and Newkirk Plaza in both directions, only slowing down when descending the ramp at Avenue H. I wonder if the slow order affects a longer length along outer tracks.

Every (B) I've taken slows down around Cortelyou so it's not only the (Q) that's in effect.