SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

You mean zone switch and partial close?

All trains at terminals that don't involve a relay do it. All trains zone switch at terminals regardless (except the R32/42)

the (7) does not close it doors at terminals do to large crowds pretty much throughout the day. And I wouldn't be surprised if the (E)(J)(Z) during rush hour did the same.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a date on when 5th/53rd was renovated?  In 1964, it still had the classic IND tile on the wall but by the 1980s it was gone.

I only ask because the cover for Simon & Garfunkel's debut album was taken in 1964 and you can clearly see IND tile.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Does anyone have a date on when 5th/53rd was renovated?  In 1964, it still had the classic IND tile on the wall but by the 1980s it was gone.

I only ask because the cover for Simon & Garfunkel's debut album was taken in 1964.

Sometime between 1985-1988. The lettering on the walls is in Akzidenz-Grotesk, which was out of favor by around 1988/1989, but I can place it as unrenovated until at least 1984.

The good news is, like most stations treated to those tiles in the 1970s and 1980s (see the whole BMT Broadway Line and in Brooklyn), the old tiles are generally alive underneath.

Edited by MHV9218

Sometime between 1985-1988. The lettering on the walls is in Akzidenz-Grotesk, which was out of favor by around 1988/1989, but I can place it as unrenovated until at least 1984.

The good news is, like most stations treated to those tiles in the 1970s and 1980s (see the whole BMT Broadway Line and in Brooklyn), the old tiles are generally alive underneath.

You don't know how much I want those refrigerator tiles gone...

I can only hope that the IRT stations that got hit hard in the '70s (Bowling Green!) are the same in that regard.

I'm not too sure about the more recently "renovated" stations like 34th/6th and 42nd/8th, though.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The (R) train is very slow local throughout its entire route. I wonder if there is a way the MTA can speed up its route because it crawls and goes like 10-15mph in the tunnels at times and that just adds up. I got on the (R) at 9:19pm at 14th street and didn't get to Forest Hills-71 Ave until 10:15pm. Only good part is that we zoomed right into Forest Hills instead of waiting at 67th or in the tunnel for a train to leave the station.

Weird story to today's commute...

Had to go into the city today with my girlfriend up to Washington Heights. Naturally we took the (L) from my house to the last stop and caught the (A) from there. We get to 14 St and miss the train. So we hop on the (E) to 42 St and waited for the (A) there. As we were approaching 23 St, we see a (C) train on the uptown track and wonder what was going on. Get to 42 St, and miss that train as well.

Fast forward to 168 (caught the (A) behind that train), and we get held at the station. We get to 175 St and see firefighters walking from the front of the platform and smelled like something was on fire. Got to 181 St, and the platform was smoky for some reason.

the (7) does not close it doors at terminals do to large crowds pretty much throughout the day. And I wouldn't be surprised if the (E)(J)(Z) during rush hour did the same.

Thanks for reminding me...

The (7) does not zone switch as well. Uses the same cab in either direction of travel.

I can only hope that the IRT stations that got hit hard in the '70s (Bowling Green!) are the same in that regard.

I'm not too sure about the more recently "renovated" stations like 34th/6th and 42nd/8th, though.

42nd and 8th is possible. Remember that Canal Street is simply a set of new tiles over old tiles, which is why you can see the old tiles in some places where the news one break off. That said, the MTA has shown very little interest in preserving original IND tiles, despite their elegant art deco look. 34th and 6th I wouldn't be so sure about, as that was a 1990s renovation before much care was given to keeping old designs. 79th St and 86th St have the extension tiles that predate that station (same as 103rd St on the Lex, which is having its old tiles restored), and at least some of the old tiles are definitely there underneath. Bowling Green was from a whole new philosophy of refurbishment (a la 49th St. on the BMT), so I'm not quite as sure--those tiles might have replaced the old ones, whereas the tradition with the Broadway BMT stations was just to tile over them. 

The tile on the uptown platform at BG is original tile.  The only really old original tile at BG is on the shuttle platform and small areas of the downtown platform I believe,  

You have to remember the uptown platform at BG was only built in the 1970s to reduce overcrowding on what originally was the island platform.

42nd and 8th is possible. Remember that Canal Street is simply a set of new tiles over old tiles, which is why you can see the old tiles in some places where the news one break off. That said, the MTA has shown very little interest in preserving original IND tiles, despite their elegant art deco look. 34th and 6th I wouldn't be so sure about, as that was a 1990s renovation before much care was given to keeping old designs. 79th St and 86th St have the extension tiles that predate that station (same as 103rd St on the Lex, which is having its old tiles restored), and at least some of the old tiles are definitely there underneath. Bowling Green was from a whole new philosophy of refurbishment (a la 49th St. on the BMT), so I'm not quite as sure--those tiles might have replaced the old ones, whereas the tradition with the Broadway BMT stations was just to tile over them. 

I'm willing to bet the bathroom tile at Canal will break just like the wall at Jamaica Center.  I remember talking about this some time ago here - a photo showed that the original IND tile at Canal was covered TWICE.  At the same time, the MTA renovated Broadway Junction with an exact* replica of the old IND style walls.

*The BROADWAY JUNCTION writing does look slightly larger than the old size but it's better than what they did with Canal and 34th/6th.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The (R) train is very slow local throughout its entire route. I wonder if there is a way the MTA can speed up its route because it crawls and goes like 10-15mph in the tunnels at times and that just adds up. I got on the (R) at 9:19pm at 14th street and didn't get to Forest Hills-71 Ave until 10:15pm. Only good part is that we zoomed right into Forest Hills instead of waiting at 67th or in the tunnel for a train to leave the station.

Theoretically the R train that leaves 14th st at 9:18 gets to forest hills at 9:57, so your train was subject to some sort of 20 minute delay. 

Was this over the weekend? Service was slow over the weekend because all services were local. 

If it was a weekday, might I suggest walking 1600 feet west of union square and getting on the F at 14th? The savings of the express run more than offset the walk.

Would you be able to increase train frequency if you classified some relay tracks as revenue? Just wondering because it might save time otherwise spent fumigating

For all the lines that relay, there's no other way to turn trains around back without blocking everything else up

In the news today:

Amazon caves, pulls Nazi insignia campaign off (S) 42nd shuttle: http://gothamist.com/2015/11/24/amazon_nazi_ad_deniers.php

--Read the original article from Gothamist, complete with these gems from MTA and Outfront:

Lisberg said the advertising campaign was arranged through OUTFRONT Media. Neither the MTA nor OUTFRONT Media would disclose financial terms, and Lisberg defended the campaign as meeting new MTA standards adopted in April.

“The updated standards prohibit political advertisements. Unless you’re saying that you believe Amazon is advocating for a Nazi takeover of the United States, then it meets the standards. They’re advertising a show,” Lisberg said.

Pressed that the Nazi Reichsadler eagle—Hitler’s adaptation of the Roman and Holy Roman Empire’s imperial standards—isn't a work of fiction but carries personal and historical resonance, Lisberg added, “I’m not trying to be cute. Despite your, or my, or anyone’s feelings about a particular ad, we have to be guided by the ad standards we put forward.”

A spokesperson for OUTFRONT Media tells us they have received no complaints about the ads, and noted that the campaign also passed the company’s internal review, which adheres to standards “close to the MTA’s.”

Those MTA advertising standards also call for the agency to “Maintain a safe and welcoming environment for all MTA employees and customers.”

Well that didn't go too well.

--AND--

Customers upset as (6) rider openly smokes crack/meth during lunchtime trip: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3332601/Lunchtime-passengers-horrified-NYC-subway-fumes-spread-car-commuter-smoked-drugs.html

Wonder what'll come out of the mouth of an MTA stooge regarding this.  Or is this just the "new normal" of life in NYC?

Like one of the commuters said, the NYC Subway has become a "zoo". Its almost impossible to ride the trains in peace without having constant disruptions and bull****. This is why I feel bad for the younger generation of kids who are exposed to this type of garbage. Welcome to the MTA people.

Like one of the commuters said, the NYC Subway has become a "zoo". Its almost impossible to ride the trains in peace without having constant disruptions and bull****. This is why I feel bad for the younger generation of kids who are exposed to this type of garbage. Welcome to the MTA people.

^I couldn't agree more.

You got crazy ladies screaming at the top of their lungs at nothing, to subway performers, to subway fights, to crazy people...

Shall I go on?

It's still better than the 80's. 

Though I think there ought to be increased enforcement of the no performers on trains rule. 

It's still better than the 80's.

Though I think there ought to be increased enforcement of the no performers on trains rule.

I wasn't alive in the 70s & 80s to witness all that but I've heard stories so yea I would imagine lol.

But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we would retort back to those days.

Edited by jon2305