SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The (Z) cannot terminate at Metropolitan Avenue. Metrop. cannot handle 2 lines terminating and it will confuse many passengers.

The (Z) in this format would be the late night/weekend train to Metropolitan and to 95th Street, eliminating all shuttles along those lines (no (M) from Metropolitan during those hours).  The (M) would still be solo at Metropolitan the rest of the time.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I have almost nothing when I comes to memorabilia(its sad).Costs too much money...

I still want one of the R68 rollsign boxes when they retire...Saving up for that LOL

I even have the perfect spot for it in my bedroom window,I'd just have to add lights to that sucker...

I wanna know where all the old R68 rolls went. The MTA just got rid of the old signs around 2002-2003, and you've gotta think at least some of them were kept. I loved the look of those: two-line Akzidenz destinations top and bottom, and then the wacky off-center Akzidenz bullets. Shame those idiot conquestor criminals tore apart the last cars that kept them.

I wanna know where all the old R68 rolls went. The MTA just got rid of the old signs around 2002-2003, and you've gotta think at least some of them were kept. I loved the look of those: two-line Akzidenz destinations top and bottom, and then the wacky off-center Akzidenz bullets. Shame those idiot conquestor criminals tore apart the last cars that kept them.

They started replacing them from 2000-2002. There's one set that still has the original Bullet

Simple, goes via the (4) after Utica, which means it goes via Lex.

Here's what they SHOULD do:

Take out the program's that RARLEY happen and store them on a hard drive in a yard or something like that, that way you save space.

And you do know what this means right? If the MTA is trying to save space, that means the R188's have all of the other routes other then the (7).

Question, how exactly is Queensboro spelled? Is it QueensBORO or QueensBOROUGH?

Take out the program's that RARLEY happen and store them on a hard drive in a yard or something like that, that way you save space.

And you do know what this means right? If the MTA is trying to save space, that means the R188's have all of the other routes other then the (7).

Hard Drive? You have to be kidding me.

Queensboro

Edited by Fresh Pond

Everybody does it Daniel. Think about it,

How do programs get into the R142/R142A's in the first place? They are first made in a hard drive, and then downloaded into the R142's.

So reverse the process, that way you would be saving space and not confuse passengers.

Everybody does it Daniel. Think about it,

How do programs get into the R142/R142A's in the first place? They are first made in a hard drive, and then downloaded into the R142's.

So reverse the process, that way you would be saving space and not confuse passengers.

Some of the things you say make me laugh lol

Question for those of you that mock Javier -

how do you imagine that destination signs programs are made? The vast majority of destination signs are made on computers and stored on harddrives, then uploaded to the control units on board the vehicles. Luminator signs on buses use USB sticks with the option of info upload via wifi, and because that's how the (MTA) is, R142/As use floppy disks.

then just label it as a (4)! The (4) already runs that route during late nights!

So today on the (D), someone pulled the emergency brake on my train, and the train was left in the middle of the tunnel for 15 minutes. Not sure why, maybe some kids messing around and pulled the brake, but eh. It happened in between 170th and 167th in the AM rush at around 8:30.

So you're not sure and you assume it a kid 

Edited by IAlam

Anyone else wonder about/know why the R46s have a LONG ISLAND RR rollsign program?

MTA is always known putting useless destinations such as a (D) to Far Rockaway, (A) to Coney Island and so on. I'm thinking maybe there was a plan back in 1990 that the R46s would be able to run on the LIRR in a real emergency. I'm not really sure. I know in 1973 the R44's did speed testing on the Main line LIRR tracks in Queens between Jamaica and Woodside I think?

MTA is always known putting useless destinations such as a (D) to Far Rockaway, (A) to Coney Island and so on. I'm thinking maybe there was a plan back in 1990 that the R46s would be able to run on the LIRR in a real emergency. I'm not really sure. I know in 1973 the R44's did speed testing on the Main line LIRR tracks in Queens between Jamaica and Woodside I think?

Quote from one of the users from Railroad.Net:

"I found out later last night from a friend in NYCT that he heard the LIRR and MNRR route signage was there in case of a strike on either railroad. He said he never recalled the signage in use, but in theory if say the LIRR had a strike by crews, the lines that have connections with LI bus service -- or otherwise come closest to Nassau County -- such as Parsons-Archer ( (E) , (J) ), Jamaica-179 (F) , and Far Rockaway (A) would have occasional trains (every other train?) with the 'LIRR' designation so that LIRR customers using the subway (some for the first time) would know that if they got on that train it would get them the best service to get home."

Interesting find so I wonder if such code is found on the R142A/R188's for the (7) or even on the R160's. So It would say Long Island RailRoad if they ever went on strike and this would basically let people know that this is the best service to offer to get them closer to their destination. However now a days this signage is pretty useless and is forgotten about. I wonder where you can find all R46's, R160 and R142/A codes from.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Anyone else wonder about/know why the R46s have a LONG ISLAND RR rollsign program?

For what it's worth, I know the R44's were speed-tested along the LIRR mainline and got up to 77mph. This was before the LIRR third rail was converted to 750vdc though. I wonder if, when the rollsigns were ordered, there was thought of consolidating the fleets to one car class. 

Lord knows the commuter rail riders would have gone bonkers over this though. 

Actually, I heard that the reason why LIRR was on the R46's was because NYCT was planning to restore service on the Rockaway Branch as the LIRR, and when something happened the (A) would always get re routed back to Far Rockaway, although this plan was rejected.