SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be cool if they added (B) service on weekends Brighton Beach Express to 96th street/ 2nd Ave.? 

Nooooo , What they need at least is have the (B) run on weekends from Bedford Pk to Second Ave on the (F) , Waiting times on the (D) sucks during the weekends. 

Edited by R62AR33

What they should do is extend the  (G) to Queens Blvd rush hours and the  (M) terminate at Chambers on wkends like it has been doing these past weekends, which I'm very impressed about!

One of the reasons we have been discussing alternate weekend terminals for the (M) is the fact there is CBTC work going on along Queens Boulevard for the next few years that will require at times three lines to be running local along QB.  Among them was mine of once the SAS is going on late nights and weekends having the (M) run to 96th Street and 2nd Avenue since that would give Broadway-Brooklyn riders midtown service at all times AND give those on the Upper East Side (arguably the most densely populated area in the entire country) additional service nights and weekends along the (M), which would run close to the same route as the (Q) until you get south of Herald Square.  

Ok I know this sounds crazy but I like Princes idea. The (M) terminating at Chambers St is actually a good idea, because you free up space at Essex St and with the (M) running Opto 4 cars, why not?

What space? There's no space to free up in the first place. The (M) has its own dedicated track, the (J) has its own dedicated tracks.

Yesterday around 5pm, I was waiting for the (A) at Chambers St and when the R32 (C) came first and left the station, the train made so much noise down the tunnel and everybody including me looked at the train to find out what the wired sound was. It was a very loud screeching noise coming from the rear of the train and everybody thought something had went wrong because the train had slow down and stopped. When my (A) came, the train had to wait at the platform for like 7 minutes due to police activity at Fulton.

I was about to say that but why run it on weekends?

Because during the week 71st Ave has a problem turning 2 trains with reasonable speed (They get backed up frequently). On the weekends it's just the (R) (which sucks) so it will increase local service and provide a great connection. I use the (G) when going to Brooklyn sometimes, and new Brooklyn Residents would have a one seat ride to Queens Center Mall. Even the MTA can't deny that ridership is increasing on the (G).

What space? There's no space to free up in the first place. The (M) has its own dedicated track, the (J) has its own dedicated tracks.

Yes, but the idea is to get the (M) to midtown on weekends so Broadway-Brooklyn riders have a one-seat ride there.  That's why once the SAS opens since because of CBTC the (M) most weekends can't go on QB anyway I would send it to 96th/2nd to supplement the (Q) (and also doing such late nights) since as noted the UES is likely as densely populated as anywhere in the country and where such is likely needed anyway.

Yes, but the idea is to get the (M) to midtown on weekends so Broadway-Brooklyn riders have a one-seat ride there. That's why once the SAS opens since because of CBTC the (M) most weekends can't go on QB anyway I would send it to 96th/2nd to supplement the (Q) (and also doing such late nights) since as noted the UES is likely as densely populated as anywhere in the country and where such is likely needed anyway.

Not that this is a bad idea (I think it's an okay one) but what's the point of having the (M) supplement the (Q) on weekends? With the (Q) being frequent enough to hold things down on its own.

Not that this is a bad idea (I think it's an okay one) but what's the point of having the (M) supplement the (Q) on weekends? With the (Q) being frequent enough to hold things down on its own.

The fact that the UES in not only densely populated, but it's very active at that time.  It's the one part of Manhattan where a supplement like that actually would help a lot (and it would also be late nights) and would more importantly have the (M) serve midtown at all time.  The part of it going to 96th/2nd would really be a bonus for those on the UES but one that I think actually would be needed.

The fact that the UES in not only densely populated, but it's very active at that time. It's the one part of Manhattan where a supplement like that actually would help a lot (and it would also be late nights) and would more importantly have the (M) serve midtown at all time. The part of it going to 96th/2nd would really be a bonus for those on the UES but one that I think actually would be needed.

This is true but wouldn't the (M) just cause congestion on along the Broadway line especially if there is construction?

Why have the (M) switch into the Broadway line when it could follow the (F) to Lexington Ave and before the station there is a switch which can allow the (M) to switch onto the Broadway side of the tracks. Then it could follow the (Q) to 96th Personally I don't see why the (M) needs to run up there. I think one service is good enough. There will only be three stations anyway and you have the M15/SBS as an alternative.