SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I went to storage to get rid of some old stuff and I totally forgot I have this: (7) station sign with a ruler on the back

7%20train%20sign%20front_zpsyivlnvoy.jpg7%20train%20sign%20back_zpscijwl3yq.jpg Subway%20map_zpssjpx2ik8.jpgSubway%20service%20guide%201_zpsb3jhxpgfSubway%20service%20guide%202_zpsp4ekdybfSubway%20service%20guide%203_zpsjr7jqaz2

Subway map © 2004. I used to carry the subway map in school when I was in 4th or 5th grade.

Oh man....the good old days of Shea Stadium (7)<7> the Brown (M)(V) and (W) !

Seems the weather has calmed down so I don't know whats the MTA's plan for this weekend..... But I see all GO's and Fastrack has been canceled.

Edited by Priincenene

Something interesting I noticed perusing some wildly expensive eBay signs... The MTA sign shop must have simply had a strange version of Akzidenz-Grotesk in their collection, as the early signs they produced with the upper-case letter "s" all had the same weird irregularity. I knew this was true for the black on white signs, but judging from this mid-1970s Cortlandt St. (R, I believe) sign, this occurred for the white on black ones too:

$_57.JPG

ktorreg photo

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say this particular sign was hand-painted. You'll notice that both capital Cs look slightly different, with the first more resembling the Helvetica typeface. A thing to remember is, along with the standard silk-screening process of printing the sign text, the Bergen Street sign shop also used hand stencils at times which sometimes led to interesting results, of which I think this is one of them.

On a side note, the Cortlandt St IRT station did have pillar nameplates that alternated between Cortlandt St and World Trade Center.

img_207.jpg

Cortlandt St (IRT 7th Avenue Line)

2/27/1999

Photo by: Wayne Whitestone

Courtesy: nycsubway.org

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say this particular sign was hand-painted. You'll notice that both capital Cs look slightly different, with the first more resembling the Helvetica typeface. A thing to remember is, along with the standard silk-screening process of printing the sign text, the Bergen Street sign shop also used hand stencils at times which sometimes led to interesting results, of which I think this is one of them.

On a side note, the Cortlandt St IRT station did have pillar nameplates that alternated between Cortlandt St and World Trade Center.

Cortlandt St (IRT 7th Avenue Line)

2/27/1999

Photo by: Wayne Whitestone

Courtesy: nycsubway.org

I noticed that after you posted -- I think you're right, this must have been hand-stenciled. Reminds me of this irregular sign near Grand Central, which given it describes a 1980s program, seems oddly late not to have a unified font. Note the alternative Helvetica and Akzidenz Es, along with a crooked S. 

MLS_0669_zpshpyyomhw.jpg

As for the Cortandlt signs, you're right that they alternated, but that was the second generation of signs. Those were 1990s Helvetica signs, and the earlier Akzidenz signs read: 

Cortlandt

Street

W.T.C.

As per one of my favorite YouTube archives, NYCSubwaySystem:

Those are usually (but not always) trains that go to the yard after the morning rush. After Parkchester they typically go straight to the yard as opposed to going to Pelham Bay and reversing direction to go to the yard.

The (4) goes express from 167 to Burnside and terminate after the AM *and* PM rush and the (5) from 3rd Avenue to East 180th Street and terminate (AM rush only) for the same reason. The (4) and (5) would actually have to change directions twice to get from Woodlawn/Dyre to their respective yards, but from Burnside and E180 they can just go straight in without reversing.

The (4) and (6) started this in like 2010, I'm not sure how long the (5) has been doing it.

Edited by paulrivera

Has anybody ever seen one of the 1968-color front rollsigns for the IRT fleet in tact? They seem to be as hard to find as the side signs:

C-23.jpg

transferpoint photo

The sign above somehow lasted until the mid-2000s, which is impressive given it was out of date even by 1979.

Some photos come from the legendary prankster/motorman/photographer Steve Zabel, who would carry a personal signbox on some lines and pop it in--this is a faded orange 7 on the former BMT #7 Shuttle. 

img_40913.jpg

credit unknown, likely Steve Zabel

img_39032.jpg

Doug Grotjahn photo

One SubChat member recalled about 10 years ago when the Transit Museum would sell these colored rolls for $10 a pop. He says he sold his for $25! Those must have been the days.

That destination sign is an equally hard-to-find roll with condensed Akzidenz-Grotesk lettering, as some R17 signs had.

Edited by MHV9218