SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

There are always people at Fulton Street (who need the (J) to Brooklyn and/or Queens) that end up at the downtown platform and have to cross over to the opposite direction as soon as the train hits Broad Street.

Instead of the current signs reading "Jamaica Center" and "Broad Street", it should read "Brooklyn & Queens" and "Downtown". This way, riders can at least know the direction of where the (J) is going. It shouldn't be mentioning the other end of the line anyway, unless you're on the (A) in Brooklyn and Queens, where the current signs read "Lefferts Blvd & The Rockaways". Yeah, the (A) is different, because of its three south branches/terminals.

Edited by RollOver

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those signs are "original", by that I mean pre-2010 service cuts. That means the signs likely said something along the lines of "Broad St, and Bensonhurst" for trains bound for the Montague tunnels and "Jamaica Center" for trains via the Williamsburg Bridge. That particular wording was to reduce confusion on where in Brooklyn those trains were going. I wouldn't be surprised if those original signs were simply modified to reflect current service.

(L) train went down earlier. I was on the train heading home, and we stop about 2 cars into New Lots. We sit there wondering what's going on, then they said a stalled train in front of us. After like 10 minutes, the T/O walks by and we eventually start going backwards to Livonia. The doors open and everyone confused as hell. Conductor said there was a broken switch at E. 105 St and nothing was going down to Canarsie. I look in the distance, and I see the train that was in front of mines with the headlights on, so I'm guessing they reversed that train back into New Lots. The doors close again, and the train is still going backwards, uses the switch outside the station and we was on the Manhattan track. We get to Sutter and I get off since they said they were sending everything back to the city.

This guy on the platform asking people is the train going to Canarsie (sign still said to Canarsie on the train). I told him no, so he asks is the train on the other (Canatsie) side going down and I told him nothing is going to Canarsie at this time. Gets mad at me and asks how do I know, and I told him what happened. He goes on the Canarsie side anyway, and the C/R OF that train come over the P/A saying nothing going to Canarsie. I laughed and walked home from there.

In retrospect, I should've just got off at Livonia and walked home from there.

(L) train went down earlier. I was on the train heading home, and we stop about 2 cars into New Lots. We sit there wondering what's going on, then they said a stalled train in front of us. After like 10 minutes, the T/O walks by and we eventually start going backwards to Livonia. The doors open and everyone confused as hell. Conductor said there was a broken switch at E. 105 St and nothing was going down to Canarsie. I look in the distance, and I see the train that was in front of mines with the headlights on, so I'm guessing they reversed that train back into New Lots. The doors close again, and the train is still going backwards, uses the switch outside the station and we was on the Manhattan track. We get to Sutter and I get off since they said they were sending everything back to the city.

This guy on the platform asking people is the train going to Canarsie (sign still said to Canarsie on the train). I told him no, so he asks is the train on the other (Canatsie) side going down and I told him nothing is going to Canarsie at this time. Gets mad at me and asks how do I know, and I told him what happened. He goes on the Canarsie side anyway, and the C/R OF that train come over the P/A saying nothing going to Canarsie. I laughed and walked home from there.

In retrospect, I should've just got off at Livonia and walked home from there.

Did you take a video? As a transit enthusiast I would definitely take a video in that situation

I love when people get mad at me for trying to help. 

Today the very-late (1) train I was on got sent express-on-the-local 72-96-125 - and when this was announced there was a mad rush of people trying to get off at 72. 

This guy comes bolting off a 3 thad just pulled in  is trying to shove through the crowd to get on at 72 and I tell him "Don't bother, it's going express to 125"

He audibly scoffs. "The 1 is the local train, moron. It's on the local track."

I pause for a second "Oh, my mistake". He puts in his headphones and assuredly didn't hear the conductors announcements. I trust he enjoyed his roundabout trip. 

Subway long jump fail

uploaded by: Lei Gong

Idiot.

Just ten minutes or so ago, I was at the Manhattan Bound platform at KG-UT. I was waiting to take either an (E) or an (F). One old man was confused about where the (F) Express was. A few people and I tried to explain to him that the (F) stopped on the Local track, but went to the express track after 75th Avenue. He was really confused, and ended up taking the same (F) I went on. He asked somebody on the train if it ran express, and they pointed to the FIND display. He said that the sign on the platform said that it was running local, which it did not say. 

The confusion stems from what the sign says.

"F Express 71 Avenue to 21 Street – Queensbridge"

The sign doesn't explicitly say that it will run local only to 71 Avenue, but that should be implied, but this guy didn't understand.

I think that the sign instead should say,

"F Stops at 75 Avenue, and then Express 71 Avenue to 21 Street – Queensbridge"

I am curious what people's thoughts on this would be.

This past school year I became a daily rider of the (E) for the first time. That doesn't mean that I didn't go very often on the subway. I have noticed that a lot of people run up the stairs from the (E) and (F) to get the Q10 bus.

How did he not get electrocuted when touching the tracks? Are NYC Subway trains 3rd rail?

they are third rail but those aren't the third rail, the third rail is on the side.

Yeah, but if see the step he takes after the fall, he is stepping on the third rail cover. That cover is the reason he didn't fry, but those aren't really built for human weight and it's never a good idea to test how much they can take.

^ Watched some of those, nice seeing those old R62/A shots.

For those of you that wondered, the movie that featured the R32 with old-style rollsigns at 62nd Street (and fake signs at 62nd and at New Utrecht) is called 'A Most Violent Year.' Interesting film, though pretty specific to NYC.

^ Watched some of those, nice seeing those old R62/A shots.

For those of you that wondered, the movie that featured the R32 with old-style rollsigns at 62nd Street (and fake signs at 62nd and at New Utrecht) is called 'A Most Violent Year.' Interesting film, though pretty specific to NYC.

Ellis Henican's piece was part of a subway stories broadcast for The Eleventh Hour. Here is the full clip, if anyone's interested. More vintage subway shots in here:

The conquestors were on the fan trip today...

Were they arrested??

Looks like the MTA replaced the (4) strip maps again. They took off the B46 and M86 SBS off, and the "black stickers" are not there either.

They should take ALL of the SBS's off. They're really getting into Silver Lie territory, and at least THAT has in-system free transfers!

No (unfortunately) and why are they replacing the strip maps AGAIN? smh...

They aren't replacing the maps again. The current ones on the (4) include the B46 and M86 SBS covered up. All they doing is peeling off the black stickers covering the two lines