SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Speaking of beeper alarms, half of the subway emergency exit doors don't beep at all when opened, and some are even always unlocked from the outside.

They have been removing the beeper alarms where there is someone watching because far to many people use the emergency doors, and the beeping is getting annoying, especially when there is an agent watching right there.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth or not, it does have some merit. Keep in mind that it's not just any door that allows entry and exit into the system - it's marked an "emergency exit", which explains the alarm that was in place. Yes, you will have customers using the door illegally, but the overwhelming majority of the cases are legal or permitted uses that are nowhere near an "emergency". This means the alarm has practically lost its meaning and usefulness, and mainly serves as pain in the ears for customers and the agent.

Truth or not, it does have some merit. Keep in mind that it's not just any door that allows entry and exit into the system - it's marked an "emergency exit", which explains the alarm that was in place. Yes, you will have customers using the door illegally, but the overwhelming majority of the cases are legal or permitted uses that are nowhere near an "emergency". This means the alarm has practically lost its meaning and usefulness, and mainly serves as pain in the ears for customers and the agent.

Not every station is as such...

The emergency exits in all the stations double as service exits so people can exit the station. Larger stations/complexes (I.e. JFK Airport) have separate gates that are solely for emergency exits.

Edited by Fresh Pond

I think it can be compared to the "faulty" car alarms. I'm ready to pull the plug on both, but better safe than sorry.

Would it be helpful to connect the SIR to the rest of the subway Subway via 4th Ave , and extend the Southern portion through to NJ to the NEC perhaps Metro Park Station?

I have a plan for the North Shore Line in SI to be connected to the subway and go to NJ, the problem would be FRA so it would be part of a regional rail plan.

Saw an R160 R this morning.

On tuesday on the way back from the bus fair, I had one of the best subway experiences I have had. The TO on the (R) left the cab door open part way and I had ridden it from Court St to 71 Av so I saw all of the bell mouths. I didn't realize how sharp the curves are around City Hall.

I have a plan for the North Shore Line in SI to be connected to the subway and go to NJ, the problem would be FRA so it would be part of a regional rail plan.

Saw an R160 R this morning.

On tuesday on the way back from the bus fair, I had one of the best subway experiences I have had. The TO on the (R) left the cab door open part way and I had ridden it from Court St to 71 Av so I saw all of the bell mouths. I didn't realize how sharp the curves are around City Hall.

Nice! But which cab are you talking about?