SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Ok now I am realizing that the set which ran on the Q yesterday morning was actually a R68, not a R68A. They were two sets borrowed off the G linked together, something I never expected. Seems CIY is having a field day with this.

some time i would love just going to a station like brighton beach or Coney Island and write down the car numbers.

It is interesting. This is the only case that they do that today. In the 70s and earlier it was liked this all the time.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some time i would love just going to a station like brighton beach or Coney Island and write down the car numbers.

It is interesting. This is the only case that they do that today. In the 70s and earlier it was liked this all the time.

True, this seems to be the year of unusual moves in car assignments. I'm no expert on this but I would say that either Coney Island or Astoria in Queens would be the ideal place to keep track of the R68/R68A put ins on any of the South Brooklyn BMT lines. 

I would like to mention however that if they lay up the two sets overnight they will usually do so in Astoria on the middle tracks or in Manhattan.

True, this seems to be the year of unusual moves in car assignments. I'm no expert on this but I would say that either Coney Island or Astoria in Queens would be the ideal place to keep track of the R68/R68A put ins on any of the South Brooklyn BMT lines. 

I would like to mention however that if they lay up the two sets overnight they will usually do so in Astoria on the middle tracks or in Manhattan.

OK thanks, its too bad that I don't have too much time to do that.

I thought this train did not run on 8/14. This is the inside of a R68 car on the G, scrawled with grafitti by an artist named Shaina Stigler in a recreation of the 1980's:

10614206_10154463847720291_3135299716983

Anyone know what the hell happened on the 7av-Broadway lines (1)(2)(3) apparently there were people on the tracks and they turned off power. Also (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(M) are delayed terribly

I think it was due to a customer injury at 34th Street/Penn station, that might be why the AM rush was so screwed up. I have no idea what the current status of that situation is. Earlier in the week we had that rail condition at 96th Street producing similar delays. Not a good week for commuters who are dependent on the IRT 7th Avenue Line.

Way too clean and bright to be an accurate depiction of the '80s in the subway.

Yeah good point, the subway system was utter chaos during that time, nothing like what we see here I'm sure. I mean look they even got indoor AC! 

*Nevermind we had AC in the 1980s, its not that way back in the past lol, I should have done my homework.

Edited by realizm

Yup its really hard to predict. Sometimes they will run those sets during the AM rush only then put the sets back on the B, while other times they ran on both specifically the AM and PM rush. Someone saw an R68A on the B earlier this afternoon so that might be the Q you saw earlier. They tend to throw the sets on the N and/or Q at random on the weekdays as needed.

I just learned a set of R68As ran on the Q..... at 3:00AM! Looks like the fat girl on Broadway is on her route late nights too now!

Edited by realizm

The (A) was a mess today. I was waiting at Penn Station for an uptown (A) and let a few pass since I wanted a seat. Next thing I know "After an earlier incident, (A) trains are running with delays. The next 207 Street bound (A) train is at least 20 minutes away". At that point I got pissed (I couldn't take the (C) since I had to go to 207 Street). I got to the platform at 5:30 PM and got on the train at 6:27 PM. 

This isn't the first time this is happened too. About a week ago I missed an uptown (A) at Penn Station and then hear there are delays in uptown (A) and (C) service (due to a stalled train at Canal Street). I go to take the (E) to 7 Avenue/53 Street for the (B) or (D) , and then find out there are delays in uptown (B) and (D) service as well. The MTA really needs to stop screwing me over when I take the (A) .

Speaking of the (A) line, they grinded the rails on the SB Express track from 125 Street to around 103 Street. It now makes that whining noise. I guess they are doing this to rails to have better traction (not too sure how this works). 

Quick question: Does anyone know when the next pick starts for the subway? I heard the R68/A and R32 (A) are only for this pick. I better get a full length video before it's gone.

The (A) was a mess today. I was waiting at Penn Station for an uptown (A) and let a few pass since I wanted a seat. Next thing I know "After an earlier incident, (A) trains are running with delays. The next 207 Street bound (A) train is at least 20 minutes away". At that point I got pissed (I couldn't take the (C) since I had to go to 207 Street). I got to the platform at 5:30 PM and got on the train at 6:27 PM. 

This isn't the first time this is happened too. About a week ago I missed an uptown (A) at Penn Station and then hear there are delays in uptown (A) and (C) service (due to a stalled train at Canal Street). I go to take the (E) to 7 Avenue/53 Street for the (B) or (D) , and then find out there are delays in uptown (B) and (D) service as well. The MTA really needs to stop screwing me over when I take the (A) .

Speaking of the (A) line, they grinded the rails on the SB Express track from 125 Street to around 103 Street. It now makes that whining noise. I guess they are doing this to rails to have better traction (not too sure how this works). 

Quick question: Does anyone know when the next pick starts for the subway? I heard the R68/A and R32 (A) are only for this pick. I better get a full length video before it's gone.

From what I initially heard, the R68 and R32 will remain until December (don't quote me on that).

Can't wait for the (A) / (C) full line review to come out sometime next year, according to the (MTA).

Hope to see what they say about ridership and that any potential of "more frequent" service (according to the many complaints I've already heard/seen) should be made.

The (A) was a mess today. I was waiting at Penn Station for an uptown (A) and let a few pass since I wanted a seat. 

Just a reminder: the peak load point on northbound (A) and (D) trains in the PM Rush is Columbus Circle. It's hard to find a seat during rush hour on any line at the peak load point and/or near the peak load point. You were better off just taking the first (A) that showed up and avoiding any delays in the process. I'm quite sure that the (A) you've finally boarded was loaded to the gills.

Edited by RollOver

Just a reminder: the peak load point on northbound (A) and (D) trains in the PM Rush is Columbus Circle. It's hard to find a seat during rush hour on any line at the peak load point and/or near the peak load point. You were better off just taking the first (A) that showed up and avoiding any delays in the process. I'm quite sure that the (A) you've finally boarded was loaded to the gills.

Nope. The (A) behind the (A) that was 20 minutes late was actually quite empty. It's not hard finding a seat on the North end of the (A) .

Now the (E) will go to 179 next weekend. With shuttle trains operating between Jamaica Center and Union Turnpike...I wonder if the finds will be updated

I remember the last time they did that G.O with R32s. Those were good times.

Edited by MTA Bus