• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting GO's for next month:

(R) to 179 every weekend in August

Franklin (S) shut down for the first 2 weekends

The interesting thing about today is that the (R) is running on the (M) and (D) between Queens Plaza and Dekalb. So anyone that usually uses the (F) can use the (R) all the way to Broadway Lafayette since the (E) and (F) are going local anyway.

So I guess the 160s on the G is not going to happen? The G.O starts tomorrow and no 160s ran on the G today or I'm sure someone would have made a post about it. Would be a PITA to do the entire swap overnight.

Everyone in the railfanning community was on edge waiting to see if this will happen. Apparently Operations Planning cancelled the swap because they foresaw problems with interchangeability at Astoria and cost overruns if they had ran R68's on the N line from the resultant R160 swap.

Another reason was because of the car markers, not all of the stations had proper markers to accomidate 5 car R160 trains on the G. It seems they did install markers on 4th Avenue but then they stopped apparently seeing this as too costly against funds available for operations costs.

So this was not a rumor, RTO Division did have preliminary plans to go through with the swap pending the final decision of the higher ups. But it seems they will not go through with this, should have happened already.

Of course I'm sure they will continue to have R68 put ins on the N here and there as needed, to increase service on the N rush hours.

Edited by realizm

That car marker thing sounds like a load of baloney...

I mean, if a 5 car set of R160s is the same exact length as a 4 car set of R68s and they stop there just fine both OPTO and non-OPTO operations (they use a 4 car R46 conductors board and even that's the same length as the other cars).

But then again, that's just me...

Edited by Fresh Pond

That car marker thing sounds like a load of baloney...

I mean, if a 5 car set of R160s is the same exact length as a 4 car set of R68s and they stop there just fine both OPTO and non-OPTO operations (they use a 4 car R46 conductors board and even that's the same length as the other cars).

But then again, that's just me...

Yeah true, I was asking myself why would CIY do a swap with its own fleets for the sake of one line for five weeks? With all the modifications they would have to do operations-wise its counterproductive. Sounded good at first when the news went viral but logistically it didnt quite add up.

A five car R160 set is one foot longer then a 4 car R68 set. Of course capacity is about the same with the exception of seated capacity, but the R160's as they are five cars experience significantly lower station idle times.

Well its over now anyhow, no swap on the N and G. Life moves on to bigger and better things.

I would have love to ride the 68s on the (N)(Q) and feel the SMEE nostalgia on both lines. Oh well I guess. +1 for this response.  :)

I would have liked to see R68s on the (N) and (Q) too.

So what is going on? Are they using R68s saying special or... what?

did anyone hear that two riders got a ticket for riding the (6) train loop so they can see city hall?

Really!

That is outrageous. That is revenue trackage and the announcements have been changes saying you can. Also TOs say its ok. If a TO said I couldn't I would come out.

Today I saw a (6) that was apparently going to terminate at Westchester Square for whatever reason. The countdown clocks and the R142A displays both confirmed that was going to be the case.

The fact that the R142's are able to be programmed for any random stop before the terminal on the program as the Last Stop and the R160's don't have that capability I'll never know.

I noticed something with the R188s and their interior signs...

On the new sets, the sign reads:

TO FLUSHING

THE NEXT STOP IS

(insert random stop)

...but in the converted sets, they display just like R142/As...

FLUSHING

THE NEXT STOP IS

(random stop)

I know it's probably nothing, but heading home the other night, I noticed it on a converted set (besides the fact that ie was 2 in the morning)

10534693_668173089936316_843695856002683

Credits: Soap Edwards, Facebook.

This is a redbird after being reefed in the Atlantic Ocean over time. Pretty amazing photo if you ask me.

That photo is awesome! I heard the B div SMEEs didn't do to well in the reef program.. Which I guess is true as you never see photos like this of reefed R32-R42 cars. Edited by trainfan22