SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

As it transpires, the plan now is to make a stopover in New York on the way back from my family vacation in Florida, which begins Friday. So, some questions:

• At which times during the weekday will I find the smallest crowds on the Times Square (S)?

• I've noticed that on certain lines, trains stop with the lead car at the very end of the platform, and on others the tail car is at the very end of the platform. This makes it difficult to get pictures. On the following lines, at which end of the platform would it be ideal to stand at for good pictures? I suck at motion shots underground, so those are out of the picture. I'm on a time limit and with a set amount of things I want to see (effectively a day to cover the important stuff, such as R62As on the (7) so I can't really afford to troll around the outdoors stations in the outer boroughs - mostly Manhattan, my forays onto the (J) and (7) being the exception.

(B)

(D)

(J)

(3)

(6)

(7)

• R42s at middays: yes or no?

• If the answer to question #3 is no: where is a good place to photograph (J)(Z) line layups? I presume I'd find an R42 in that area.

• Which R62A cars have the alternate style of front rollsigns, with the destination written below the route number?

3) Yes.

4) Broadway Junction on the Mantthan bound platform.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught an R68A at 9;00 at W4 going back to 207st and Rode it till 168st... it arrived likely at 9:35ish so it should be back in the yard right now

There needs to be a definitive time for when the R68 and R32 (A) runs so it can be caught. I tried going to 207th a day last week and waited for an hour(between 6 and 7PM) and nothing came. I also hear the 32 shows up in the morning.

There needs to be a definitive time for when the R68 and R32 (A) runs so it can be caught. I tried going to 207th a day last week and waited for an hour(between 6 and 7PM) and nothing came. I also hear the 32 shows up in the morning.

Someone on FB got a picture of both of them today during the oncoming storm.

Edited by GojiMet86

The R68A for the (A) always leaves 207st at 6:53 Pm and does one round trip and then goes back to the yard... as for the R32 i caught it yesterday at around 7:15 pm at 42st going to 207st and that motorman was having fun on that express track lol.

Edited by R62AR33

I missed this: why does an R68/A run on the A for that one trip?

It was explained by Snowblock that the (A) has to borrow a set from the (B) since it needs more trains for the PM rush and due to the R46s receiving SMS, not enough spares are available. It makes a round trip from 207 to Lefferts and back to 207 since it has to be back at Concurse Yard for the morning rush. That's why it only goes to Lefferts and not Far Rockaway. Same reason it borrows an R32 set from the (C).

I hope this answers your question. I think I might have over-explained it.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

The R68A for the (A) always leaves 207st at 6:53 Pm and does one round trip and then goes back to the yard... as for the R32 i caught it yesterday at around 7:15 pm at 42st going to 207st and that motorman was having fun on that express track lol.

What about the morning for the 32? Also, I will try again for the 68 at 6:53, but it wasn't there the last time I was.

And another question, if I may... where along the (J)(Z) lines would it be best to wait for an R42? Thanks!

Chauncey Street on the Mantthan bound platform, especially If you get there as the put ins for the PM rush start coming into service.

Also at that station you can see when a Queens bound train is coming long before it actually gets to the station.

I would wait there 45 minutes before the first Z train departs Broad Street in the PM Rush.

Edited by trainfan22

Chauncey Street on the Mantthan bound platform, especially If you get there as the put ins for the PM rush start coming into service.

Also at that station you can see when a Queens bound train is coming long before it actually gets to the station.

I would wait there 45 minutes before the first Z train departs Broad Street in the PM Rush.

Thanks. I'll probably be pushing it for time, but hopefully I can get at least one good R42 shot.

And now another question, because I don't bother to organize my thoughts before posting (that would result in multiple questions in one post)... in general, how good is the northbound platform at Times Square - 42 St 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-1_svg.png75px-NYCS-bull-trans-2_svg.png75px-NYCS-bull-trans-3_svg.png and any platform at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-6_svg.png in terms of space at the end of platforms for photos? Those are pretty much the only unclear ones at this point, and I don't fancy my chances with trying to take a motion shot underground. Thanks.

Also, anyone have the departure time for the R68/A (A) train southbound from 42 St - Port Authority? Thanks.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

why would they do that?

From what iv been told Westchester yard don't want to maintain the R142As anymore that will stay , so they will give their remaining R142As to the (4) for extra service , in return it will get R62As from the (1) to replace the R142As its giving up and as for the (1) to replace the R62As it will give to the (6) will get R62s from (3) , seams like they are starting to do that already.

Edited by R62AR33

From what iv been told Westchester yard don't want to maintain the R142As anymore that will stay , so they will give their remaining R142As to the (4) for extra service , in return it will get R62As from the (1) to replace the R142As its giving up and as for the (1) to replace the R62As it will give to the (6) will get R62s from (3) , seams like they are starting to do that already.

Can 240th yard even maintain R142As?

Can 240th yard even maintain R142As?

Nope its not equipped to maintain Ntts and wont be till those R62As retire , i think u misread , the remaining R142A's from the (6) are going to the (4) for extra service . To replace those R142A's from the (6) that are going to the (4) will be R62As from the (1) , Now to fill the void of the missing R62As on the (1) will be R62s from the (3) .

Edited by R62AR33

Nope its not equipped to maintain Ntts and wont be till those R62As retire , i think u misread , the remaining R142A's from the (6) are going to the (4) for extra service . To replace those R142A's from the (6) that are going to the (4) will be R62As from the (1) , Now to fill the void of the missing R62As on the (1) will be R62s from the (3) .

How many R62s will be taken from the (3)? Regardless of how many are taken from the (3), wouldn't there be a negative impact on car availability resultant of that?

too bad r68 cant go to far rockaway. it still got time on the clock to go back to the yard.

It's because the gap crew which is assigned to the layup has their lunch at Lefferts so they won't be able to take it from Far Rock. And they need to be on that 68 going north so it can IMMEDIATELY head to Concourse from 207.