SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely ride the (J)...

But I have been so damn lucky when catching the R188's. The first two times, I didn't have to wait for a single R62A to go..... Third time and fourth time I waited around 20 minutes, and recently I didn't have to wait at all...... And all of those times only 1 R188 was running. 

I also remember catching the R62A (6), exactly one year ago yesterday (2/19/2013). Waiting 10 minutes at Brooklyn Bridge to get a ride..... 

And what a coincidence, on that same day I got the R62A (6) I also caught my first glimpse of an R188 at E180 Yard...

Edited by R188 7857

Since you've worked in both divisions are you allowed to bounce back and forth between the two every time the new pick comes up?

Yes. Some folk do it too. Right now I have no motive to return to the A though.

I'm not going out of my way to catch a R188. Eventually that line is gonna be ALL R188's.......

Edited by Snowblock

Yeah those things ain't leaving the (J) anytime soon. Ever since ENY got their R160's back from the (C) they haven't been quite good.

That Explains why R42s have been running much more than they did before the summer swaps and why there is another set R32s on the (J)

Yeah those things ain't leaving the (J) anytime soon. Ever since ENY got their R160's back from the (C) they haven't been quite good.

I don't see how they'd be any different from before. 207th didn't do anything to them during the time they ran on the C.

Heres a random thought:

Just found this article

Bombardier Signs 300-Car Order For
New York City Transit

From Industry News In Metro Magazine

JUNE 4 --Three hundred brand new subway cars will be heading for New York City some time in the next two years now that a contract has been signed with Bombardier Transportation by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). The contract was approved by the company’s Board of Directors on March 28, 2012. The order is valued at approximately $599 million.

And…. the cars are being built in America, at Bombardier’s fully-integrated manufacturing plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y. The facility is located in New York State’s North Country region and is Bombardier’s Centre of Excellence for rolling stock production in the U.S. In operation since 1995, it has produced more than 3,000 passenger rail cars and locomotives now in service across the country.

The R179 cars will be powered by Bombardier MITRAC propulsion equipment with new, energy-efficient inverters. The cars’ onboard systems will be integrated by Bombardier’s industry-leading MITRAC train control and management system with internet protocol technology. The propulsion and control equipment will be supplied by Bombardier’s Propulsion and Controls business unit in Pittsburgh.

Ten cars will be delivered in 2014 and the remaining in mid-2015 and early 2017. Bombardier reports that their subway cars are in service around the world from Boston, New York, Montreal, Toronto and Mexico City to London, Paris, Berlin, Delhi and Shanghai and used by more than seven billion people every year.

It looks like from this our R179s will be R143 clones(propulsion wise)....

New car assignment sheets. 5 R42's on the (J) , 1 R32. The (F) is now going to be 100% R160 on the weekends, which I know will make some people very happy. Also 3 R62 set on the (6) during the week.

I can see why the (F) will be 100% R160's on weekends, both the (E) and (R) (separate GO's) will be going to 179th on weekends due to the CBTC work ( (R) ) and the structural work on archer ave is gonna cause GO's like this to happen along with (F) GO's, that's one reason why I think they're doing that so they can simplify operation, when they did both of these GO's recently on weekends, they barely ran R46's on the (F) and also the R46's MDBF is also a factor

ENY is keeping that R32 until retirement, the reason why the R32 and R42's have ran so much this past week because the R160's have been stored underground (plan 4) during the snowstorm, 207th didn't do anything to the cars, but I do notice how ENY is starting to treat their R160's different, its not normal to see them act up on a daily basis, because when I ride the (J) they used to run great, now its like whatever, but their R32 runs very smooth

Heres a random thought:

Just found this article

Well those things (R142a's/ R143's) Fly so I wouldn't mind. 10 sets of cars delivered this year cha ching! I thought it was only 1 set for pilot testing I'm glad that I'm wrong, and can you link us the article?

Heres a random thought:

Just found this article

I'm glad they're going to use that propulsion, it's by far the best propulsion in the system. 

What I do really hope is that they don't come out as bad as the R142's.... The R142's are plain ugly and horrible. If it would have more of an R143/R160 feel to it that would be nice, in my opinion.