SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The (6) has been a lot more unreliable in recent months than it was in previous years i've used it. Is there anything going on with the line or is it just the MTA overall getting worse?

It's just been shit. You've got a combination of pressure from above to decrease the number of runs and skips affecting headways badly, you've got the 62As which are slower in the rush because of the narrower doors, and then you've got a lot of the usual incidents that always mess things up. It's been bad though recently, I've started leaving the house 10 minutes earlier because my daily train (which was basically on time for about four years) is now late every day. 

A better question would be "which sets don't use the "Manhattan-bound" announcement in Manhattan?" If I'm not mistaken, it's a glitch in the software that leads to this happening on the trains. I don't think it's really limited to any particular sets, unlike when someone catches a train with older transfer announcement files or old strip maps.

In R110A and R110B news:

According to this post on Subchat : http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1263521

The R110B cars 3001-3003 are currently in the shop, as they've been chosen to be used by the NYPD at Floyd Bennett Field. They're replacing the R33ML Redbird 9156-57 that used to be there and are now gone (no idea if this will also replace the R32GE pair 3594-95 there, that's for anyone else to find out).

Also in that same thread, regarding the R110A 8006-8010 that was sent recently to 207 Street Yard, it seems only the B-cars (8007, 8008, 8009) will go through the conversion to pump cars at this time. What plans are for 8006 and 8010 are unknown at this time.

Post about the R110A here: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1263549

I like to reinforce the points made in this post as fact with a source on the recent status of the R110A's from the archives of NYCTF. It will be interesting how RCD will put these legendary cars to use. (Credits to Dan05979): http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39660-r-110a-coming-back/

There making a comeback after 21 years but not for the passengers. Converting them into Pump Trains @ 207 Street shop.

Photos I took 2.14.13

R-1108005207StreetShop7_zps4dd60fe7.jpg

Gutted A car interior

R-1108005207StreetShop5_zps1fffb314.jpg

R-1108005207StreetShop4_zps8e59ea8c.jpg

R-1108005207StreetShop3_zps643b09a7.jpg

R-1108005207StreetShop2_zpsed724e30.jpg

R-1108004207StreetShop_zps25df1bbc.jpg

R-1108005207StreetShop1_zps0bc48e79.jpg

R-1108004207StreetShop3_zpsf2ab65d6.jpg

R-1108004207StreetShop2_zps2929de1f.jpg

R-1108004207StreetShop1_zps0c883b99.jpg

A few of the R68s that regularly run on the Sixth Avenue are parked on the Broadway express tracks tonight, just like last year.

And as of today its snowing. 1-3 inches only though .http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Brooklyn+NY+11209:4:US

I guess what that means is that superintendents are ordering trains to be parked underground indicating that Plan 3 is in effect with snow fighting equipment  on standby, *but* yard moves underground which is odd as they usually do yard moves underground if a plan 4 is activated if its more than 5 inches of snow as pointed out earlier. Thats unusual. Guess I'll find out as I begin my day.

Edited by realizm

There's a few (4) trains parked between Franklin & Utica Avs. My (4) to work went local after leaving Utica then went express after Franklin

I was on the (D) this morning and there was confusion between the T/D and T/O as to whether to let the R68 set run express or not at 59th Street- Columbus circle to 125th. They were supposed to split the (D) service but that got cancelled. (I believe to let the 6th Ave express tracks clear for storage). 

Maybe this was the pending activation of plan 3?

There was.

Not cool.

The deal is that New York City can be a extremely emotionally stressful place with all the problems this city has for many many reasons. The suicide rate is high as a result. There are days I will say right now where In come home from work or whatever with my stomach turned in knots, when reading the newspaper shaking my head ant the absurdity of the serious crimes committed and I am not talking about stupid weed possession. I mean murders the racism, the greed not to metion families in trouble due to a hash economic enviorment.... it can get to people.

I blame that for the rise in 12-9's.

The (2) and (3) - Speed its the 7th Ave Line trademark. One of the last trunk lines without the repetitive timers albeit with notable exceptions. The R62's and R142's flies after Chambers. IRT Lex isnt that bad if the conditions are right and the T/D hooked up the T/O with all greens. Queens Bvld Line Jamaica Bound is a killer. The (7) Express on the El, another one. Also under the right conditions 4th Ave N/B 36th to Pacific, the T/Os love killing it on that stretch.

Nothing beats the 14 Street - Canarsie and 60th St tubes hands down. Moving past 55 MPH for sure.

Another fast point: (D) , Grand Concourse between 145th and 161st Yankee Stadium as it moves through an underground tube at that point. 50 MPH zone. Otherwise slow.

Edited by realizm

I think there was a 12-9 on the Uptown (R) line today at 14 Street-Union Square station about around 11:50am-12:15pm? Can anyone confirm this?

Not cool.

The deal is that New York City can be a extremely emotionally stressful place with all the problems this city has for many many reasons. The suicide rate is high as a result. There are days I will say right now where In come home from work or whatever with my stomach turned in knots, when reading the newspaper shaking my head ant the absurdity of the serious crimes committed and I am not talking about stupid weed possession. I mean murders the racism, the greed not to metion families in trouble due to a hash economic enviorment.... it can get to people.

I blame that for the rise in 12-9's.

I just want to clarify that this guy was completely fine. It sounds like he fell accidentally, but he knew about the space in the trackbed so he rolled under and the train never hit him.

I just want to clarify that this guy was completely fine. It sounds like he fell accidentally, but he knew about the space in the trackbed so he rolled under and the train never hit him.

Ok in that case my condolences to the family. But now the question arises: Did he be careful to not go over the yellow floor strip? I see to it I do not because who knows who may try to shove you into the tracks.

Man falls onto subway tracks, survives by hiding between the rails.

screen-shot-2013-12-14-at-9-25-55-pm1.pn

21 hours ago
by Alyssa Zauderer
Comments
Share Update

Screen shot 2013-12-14 at 9.25.55 PM

NEW YORK (AP/PIX11) — A man who fell onto the tracks on front of a subway train survived by diving deep in between the rails as the train passed over him.

Police say Ralph Mercado was hospitalized in stable condition with only a bruised hand after Saturday’s incident at the Union Square subway stop.

Witnesses saw Mercado screaming for help as the train rolled toward him. Suzannah Troy told the New York Post there wasn’t enough time for onlookers to act.

It’s unknown how Mercado ended up in front of the northbound R train.

Read more: http://pix11.com/2013/12/14/man-falls-onto-subway-tracks-survives-by-hiding-between-the-rails/#axzz2nXZQTkWr Edited by realizm

Wait a second, the (M) shuttle was 8 cars today. Is that the norm, or just because of conditions outside or something?

In the forecast of ice storms, sleet and/or freezing rain or several feet of snow (Plan 3 and 4) protocols requires that all trains has to be recoupled into full length trains as necessary even if it is OPTC with snowfighting equipment deployed and on standby throughout the system.