SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation, It seems that the (F) gets to W4th quicker than the (E) in front of it. There are times where the (F) that I'm on catches up to the (E) before it at W4th. Numerous times when taking the (F) from Queens, once I get to W4th, I transfer tor the (A)(C)(E), sometimes a (E) gets there at the same time, or a shortly after. Or, there will be a several min wait where a (C) or (A) comes first. As there are less stops on the (F), and the 8th ave line is further west which makes the (E) trip longer, it seems logical that the (F) beats the (E) even if they leave Union Turnpike at the same time, where the (E) goes ahead.

There are times where I catch a (D) or (B) (if it's across the platform) to get to W4th quicker, and I may catch up to the to the (E) before the (E) before the (F) that I was on.  :P

Is there any way to improve (F) train service? It is crowded at all times in the day and most of the time, even during the rush, it has absolute garbage headways. When I'm at Broadway Lafayette after getting off the (6), I see the (M) come first followed by a million more (M) 's until an overcrowded (F) finally chugs in. What is wrong with that line? I dread riding the (F) because if you ask me, it was one of the most unreliable. The only line I might consider more unreliable is the (C), but if you ask me, once the R179s come in on the (C), the (F) will be rated the worst line very Headways are crap at all times of the day, they run incredibly inconsistently, they're almost always overcrowded and according to the MTA's delay notifications, the (F) is the most delayed line in the city

I ride the (4)(5)(6) daily and even though they're crowded, at least they show up!

The (F) is scheduled to run 12-15 tph during rush hours, 9-10 tph during middays and evenings, 6 tph on weekends, and 3 tph at night. It runs pretty fine whenever I use it. I highly doubt whatever you two guys are saying is true. The (M) slightly less frequently runs 8-9 tph during rush hours but 6 tph during middays, evenings and weekends, and 3 tph at night. It runs quite fine whenever I use it too but it is nowhere close to being as frequent as the (F). The (F) most certainly is not going to be rated poorly be the Straphangers Campaign in the future. It would likely be the (R) and possibly the (A) too, as the R46s will be the system's oldest cars once the R32s and R42s both are retired. This is exactly why I disagree with pretty much everything you two guys above are saying. Seriously speaking.

The (F) can have crap real-life headways. I've taken the (E) to Union Turnpike, and sometimes 2 more (E) 's will arrive before a  (F) finally shows up.

One more note, yes the (F) is one of the longest lines in the subway system, but it shares tracks with the (E) in Queens, (M) in Manhattan and (G) in Brooklyn. It all depends on the amount of trains that these lines run during which period. I suggest you also factor that too.

Many times I found myself caught up in massive delays because of switch failures on the Bergen Street interlocking. Now that I am thinking about it, this could be another reason why we are seeing these erratic patterns of service on the (F) . A sudden halt in Brooklyn service can be disasterous on the Queens side of the route let alone Manhattan.

Does the M run the full route on Saturdays??

Well basically what Fresh Pond said, it runs as a shuttle during weekends on the Myrtle Ave El. But now that it is coming to mind, this should change next year when they extend service to Essex Street in Manhattan on the weekends as they implement service increases on other lines. Late night service will probably stay as is with the shuttle service.

One more note, yes the (F) is one of the longest lines in the subway system, but it shares tracks with the (E) in Queens, (M) in Manhattan and (G) in Brooklyn. It all depends on the amount of trains that these lines run during which period. I suggest you also factor that too.

I doubt you're a daily (F) rider. Any rider who takes the (F) every day knows exactly what I'm talking about.

One day, say, 5PM rush hour, you could see two (F)'s within the span of 5 minutes. The very next day, at the same time, with NO alerts from the MTA, there will be no (F) trains in the span of 20 minutes while multiple (B)(D)(M) 's pass by. The inconsistency on the (F) is absolutely maddening.

Late nights and weekends it will run to/from Essex St. Now if it will still run OPTO on weekends is another question...

It'll remain OPTO unless it's extended past Essex St. Also, the M will run to Essex St during the daytime and evening hours on weekends. Service will continue to terminate at Myrtle Av during the overnight hours.

I doubt you're a daily (F) rider. Any rider who takes the (F) every day knows exactly what I'm talking about.

One day, say, 5PM rush hour, you could see two (F)'s within the span of 5 minutes. The very next day, at the same time, with NO alerts from the MTA, there will be no (F) trains in the span of 20 minutes while multiple (B)(D)(M) 's pass by. The inconsistency on the (F) is absolutely maddening.

Well isn't it also maddening that there are multiple (E) and (F) trains passing by with no (M) or (R) coming. These things happens alot of times.

It'll remain OPTO unless it's extended past Essex St. Also, the M will run to Essex St during the daytime and evening hours on weekends. Service will continue to terminate at Myrtle Av during the overnight hours.

The TWU Local 100 might want to have a word with you on that one....

So I was on a work-related trip to the Transit Museum this afternoon and among checking out the cars, I noticed that R15 car 6239 has a couple of mean dents upper mid-body, one right over the middle door of the car, and the other to the upper right of said door. Also noticed one window was cracked and fixed up with some scotch tape and part of the rubber frame supporting that window was popping out. Check out this photo and see what I mean:

Photo by Nicholas Noel - 5/12/13

img_139463.jpg

Also, the R44 5240 received one of the old school New York City Transit logos, and looks really good on the car. And the French Connection R42 pair look very sharp.

So when it is suppose to start running to Essex St on Weekends?

We are still waiting for the final approval of the 2014-17 Financial Plan so the exact date will not be known until we wrap it up for the New Year. The weekend (M) service to Essex/Delancey Street in Manhattan should be starting though in the Fall of 2014 pending approval from the board committee.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/2014_MTANYCTransitServiceEnhancementProposals.htm

tkn2.jpg

i will just leave this here 

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Subway-Assault-Riders-Subdue-Ranting-Man-Emergency-Brake-Train-Video-234841081.html

snowblock if your reading this, was this your train?

Damn that's nuts! Wonder what time exactly this happened because I was on the (B) around 10 and everything was fine before DeKalb!

What's the procedure after they (the cops) take the man off the train? Does the train go back to normal service?

Damn that's nuts! Wonder what time exactly this happened because I was on the (B) around 10 and everything was fine before DeKalb!

What's the procedure after they (the cops) take the man off the train? Does the train go back to normal service?

From what I've personally experienced (Long story, was on the (N) when this guy came up threatening to shoot me only to be walked off the train in handcuffs instead, etc etc. )  the cops would make the arrest and then the train resumes its normal service pattern.

Edited by realizm

Why was there an (E) train going to 179 St today. I thought they were only on weekdays. It sure got several passengers @ 71 Av confused. I also saw an (F) to Ave X. I also thought these trips were only on weekdays.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

No (F) between Ave X and Coney Island, and every other (E) running today and tomorrow runs to 179.

I was on the holiday train today and a transit worker who works at 207th St answered many of my questions:

Concerning the preservation of R1 #103;

I just put it in the shop to get repainted

Car assignment changes?

Besides the R62As to the (6) and the R188s to the (7) nothing else.

CLASSIFIED INFO

R110A set 8006-8010 from 239 St has been moved to 207 St to be converted to pump cars like the other set.

Repainting of R36WF 9586-9587;

Probably going to be repainted red not blue and white like 9306.

R143 #8277-8280 at 207;

Getting repaired, will take some time

R17/R21 @ Concourse;

Probably going to be scrapped at some point later; hoped they could be saved

Scrappings?

Nothing being scrapped at the moment

R179 Car assignment

Not sure yet, possibly the (A), but problem with the power from LIPA in the Rockaways like the R160s had. Possibly in service to Lefferts, but it would be a problem if the train had to be rerouted.

How would later car orders work out?

Possibly with different power

Are the R12/R14 @ 207th going to be preserved?

I think so

With the R156s coming will the older locomotives be scrapped?

Probably not, the R156s aren't working out that well , they can't pull that many cars, maybe a few flatbed cars?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk