SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 9/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

It would make more sense to run the train up to the 59th Street spur on the (6) in my opinion. That would allow the crews the opportunity to take a comfort relief at GC and let the operator or the supervisor change ends and wait for a lineup to go south. When there’s an opening for the train to go south they can pick up the whole crew at GC and go on their merry way. Just speculation on my part. Carry on.

The weekend of 10/26-27 will have the southbound Lexington Local between 125th and Grand Central out with the SB 6 running express, therefore the Low Vs will be unable to turn at 59th between runs.

• Replies 31.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2024 at 5:33 PM, Kamen Rider said:

No. 

Firstly, is the 3, which runs express between TSQ and 96th at all times.

Then, one could also argue the Q over the bridge all times is also a form of "express",

and the late-night F express will hopefully be back when QBL East CBTC work is over. Cause the Fox does not need to be a two hour slog any more than it already is...

I forgot about the late night (3) . I wouldn't consider the (Q) going over the bridge express. If it got back it's Broadway express service then yeah. So the (F) overnight local is temporary

9 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Are the (E)(F) express between Roosevelt Avenue and Queens Plaza/21 Street not express then?

They are since stops are still being bypassed, however the topic at hand only applies to Routes that run Express during the late nights.

Normally, the (F) between 21st-QB and 71-Continental would be Express but due to the G.O. pertaining to CBTC East of Union Turnpike, (F)‘s (as you know) are running local in that stretch.

50 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I was stating from my opinion, I wouldn't consider the (Q) going over the bridge express. 

But what criteria separates express from not express?

51 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

They are since stops are still being bypassed

Tryna get at what constitutes “bypassing” a stop here

45 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

The Q, by taking the bridge, bypasses about six stops, by taking a shorter route.

the E and F bypass 5 stops, three of which they are also on a shorter route several blocks away.

in all honesty, there is no reason for the Q to use the bridge overnight save for the congestion Whitehall street can sometimes cause.

I agree, everything should be running via Lower Manhattan overnight.

I do however want the (A) and (D) to swap places on CPW Express overnight, the (A) is simply to long and having it be express would at least save 10 minutes.

52 minutes ago, JasonTrain2010 said:

Don't know if this is a Railroad question but just to ask why Is the MTA Usuing light rail for IBX?

Lutheran-All Faiths Cemetary. 

The New York Connecting Railroad cut is wide enough for four tracks (in theory) for much of it's length, but the area where it crosses under the cemetery is a tunnel only wide enough for 2. So they had two options, build a second tunnel or route the line around the cemetery via the streets.

Heavy rail trains are not going to cut it in the streets, so light rail was the only rail option left, and they don't want to dig the tunnel and possibly have to pay to move a mausoleum. 

more so since that part of the line is CSX property as the Freemont Secondary.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I agree, everything should be running via Lower Manhattan overnight.

I do however want the (A) and (D) to swap places on CPW Express overnight, the (A) is simply to long and having it be express would at least save 10 minutes.

swapping on CPW would mean all trains have to arrive on the local tracks and be routed as needed, all trains will need to cross in front of each other, or the A runs express to/from Canal and only the E stops at Spring, 23 and 50th overnight. (we have enough problems with people waiting on the Charlie level for the Echo at 50th... more so tourist heading to the airport who don't know better.*)

or they find a way to add switches between 50th and 59th like how the E and F have between 71st and 75th. 

... basically. the current set up allows service to run without 59 Master really having to do anything and gives the possibility of a cross-platform connection between the two at 59 and 125.

*( R179 PA manual announcement BING!** "Attention passengers, as a reminder, this platform is only for uptown C service to 168th street in Upper Manhattan. For E train service towards Queens and the airports, please use the lower-level platform of this station. the stairs are back by the main entrance turnstiles. Once again, THIS platform is for C train service only, E trains are downstairs..." all that effort and not ONE of them so much as budges...)

**NGL, I actually prefer the ones that have the M7/M9 style two note sound when I turn on the PA. 

Edited by Kamen Rider

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Lutheran-All Faiths Cemetary. 

The New York Connecting Railroad cut is wide enough for four tracks (in theory) for much of it's length, but the area where it crosses under the cemetery is a tunnel only wide enough for 2. So they had two options, build a second tunnel or route the line around the cemetery via the streets.

Heavy rail trains are not going to cut it in the streets, so light rail was the only rail option left, and they don't want to dig the tunnel and possibly have to pay to move a mausoleum. 

more so since that part of the line is CSX property as the Freemont Secondary.

Ah! Thank you

had a student with me today, first I called in what turned out to be a sticking brake cylinder on my 1 truck of my position (smell was horrible) ... and then I get turned at 2nd because a tree fell on the tracks at Fresh Pond.

I took over for my student because she was not ready to be tossed to the angry lions just yet. 

Edited by Kamen Rider

Zabar's deli partners with NYCT and NYTM for the 120th anniversary with $1.20 bagels and $2.90 bagel/coffee combo. Bagels will be wrapped in bagel and subway-themed paper with drawings of stations, cars, signage, and more. Zabar’s will offer promotional “commuter special” bagel deals beginning Thursday, Oct. 24, through Sunday, Oct. 27, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. On Tuesday, Oct. 22, New York City Transit (NYCT) workers will distribute hundreds of Zabar’s famed Black and White cookies to lucky subway riders at four subway stations in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. 

“Zabar’s has been a proud part of New York’s fabric for 90 years, and there’s no better way to celebrate than by partnering with another iconic institution, the MTA, on their 120th anniversary,” said Zabar’s Senior Executive Ann Zabar. “Both Zabar’s and the MTA have helped shape the culture of this city, and together, we’re honoring the past while looking forward to the future of New York.”

“A lot may have changed over 120 years like new train cars and stations, but New Yorkers’ reliance on the system has remained the same,” said NYC Transit Interim President Demetrius Crichlow. “While riders enjoy their bagel and schmear, we’ll continue to work to improve the rider experience with more reliable and efficient service.”

“120 years ago, New York’s first subway helped create the Upper West Side, Zabar’s home for the past 90 years,” said New York Transit Museum Director Concetta Bencivenga. “The Transit Museum is delighted to celebrate such NYC institutions and encourages everyone to grab a nosh and head to Brooklyn to experience our newest exhibit “The Subway Is.” 

19 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

had a student with me today, first I called in what turned out to be a sticking brake cylinder on my 1 truck of my position (smell was horrible) ... and then I get turned at 2nd because a tree fell on the tracks at Fresh Pond.

I took over for my student because she was not ready to be tossed to the angry lions just yet. 

Do you get a claim/bonus payment for having a student?

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Until the 211’s displace all the 143’s on that line.

They have the same door configurations, Hence why the those barriers are wide instead of matching to door size of a traditional 60 foot subway car. So even an R211 would match up with those barriers.

Each R211 car length is still 60ft, like the R143, R160 and R179s. So even with wider doors all of those NTTs can still use the same PSDs and barriers. As long as the opening is designed for wide doors ofc. 

Tokyo Metro Tozai line and a few other japanese rail lines operate a mix of standard and wide door trains and they've been using platform screen doors comfortably for a little while now.

This is not new, as prior 60' cars experimented with wider doors. R27/R30/R32/R38 had 3'-10" door widths, increased to 4'-2" on the R40 and R42. This led to reduced seating capacity as R40/R42 could seat six on the bench between doors vs. seven on R32/R38 (refer to here).

Edited by BlueArrowProductions