SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is there no better way to do these CBTC work zones? Every (F) on the weekends is getting to their terminals 15-17 minutes late.

the work zones in and of themselves do nothing more than enforce the existing flagging rules. If TOs encounter workers on the track it's automatically restricted speed under wayside rules, all CBTC does is say "Computer, hold the train to no more than 10 MPH", instead of relying on the train operator to properly maintain their speed manually. 

It has bitten me in the rear on one occasion. Back last spring, just after normal QBL service resumed, they were replacing the northbound platform at Northern Blvd. So, work zone in effect. we go past, the work zone is cleared from out screen, so the train beings to accelerate back up to normal line speed, only for the zone to suddenly re-engage momentarily and the train goes CBTC BIE because the system thinks we're now speeding in a work zone we were no longer actually in. 

The Culver line's issue right now is the entire corridor on weekends (and a lot of weekdays as well) is a work zone since you can have crews working just about anywhere, replacing the tracks and removing the old wayside signal hardware. 

On 9/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, Calvin said:

Their express service is very short but I do agree what you mean. It'll take at least the end of next year to be back on track.  

The <7> skips 10 stops and the (B) skips 8 stops. I’d hardly say a short express section. But yeah I heard the <7> won’t be restored for at least another year, with the (B) likely resuming express service next summer