SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

For those interested, the R32s are coming back for a special round trip Saturday, September 14th. Tickets are on sale August 9th on Friday. Two round trips from 96 St-2 Av: 10 AM and 2 PM

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 31.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure Borough Hall (4) (5) has been under renovation for a while. The white tiles have been removed for a couple months now, to get the new tiles eventually and new elevators being installed on the (4) (5) platforms. Theres loads of blue construction walls around the platform and iirc, on the surface too.

17 hours ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Pretty sure Borough Hall (4) (5) has been under renovation for a while. The white tiles have been removed for a couple months now, to get the new tiles eventually and new elevators being installed on the (4) (5) platforms. Theres loads of blue construction walls around the platform and iirc, on the surface too.

i haven't been there in a long time and now noticed what you mentioned. thanks.

The (D) versus any other train to Coney Island is probably one of the few situations where “take the first train to arrive; the train that’s moving is better than the one that isn’t here yet” should be ignored.

It’s insufferably slow.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

The (D) versus any other train to Coney Island is probably one of the few situations where “take the first train to arrive; the train that’s moving is better than the one that isn’t here yet” should be ignored.

It’s insufferably slow.

The (F) feels even slower...

The (N) used to feel the fastest, but given the slog 4th Av seems today, I think the (Q) is the most consistent 

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

It’s insufferably slow.

I know equipment is a talk that sometimes is frowned upon in this forum, but in all honesty comparing the R68 to an NTT, it's kinda day and night at least from my experience. Reason I say this is because every time a line has to be rerouted via West End and they involve NTT's, I felt like going between stations were a bit quicker compared to the R68's. I mean they were and still are known as hippos. Even when the (F) is rerouted and operators aren't used to being on West End, it still feels a little quicker.

I guess the next time an (F) is rerouted and I happen to catch it, I'll just compare the timing.

an R68 weights 92,720 lb

each car has four 115 hp motors.

an R160 weights 85,200 lb

each car has four 147.5 hp motors on the Alstom powered units and 161 hp motors on the siemens sets. 

a full length train of R68s is 741,000 lbs with 3680 hp.

that means each horsepower of tractive effort needs to move 201lbs, each motor, responsible for 23,156lbs

A full length, 10 car train of R160s is 852,000 lbs but has between 5,900 HP and 6,440 HP.

this means each horsepower only needs to move 144lbs, each motor 21,300lbs. 

TLDR: The ride IS quicker because an R160 has more power.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/faulty-ac-units-on-nycs-1-train-put-riders-on-fast-track-to-hell/

It's said that the (1) train's R62/A fleet has most of their subway cars feeling the heat. 

I can confirm this, I had to take the (1) last Friday due to the massive delays on the southbound (A)(B)(C)(D) that afternoon and the car I entered was so hot that I had to switch to the next one.

11 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

The (N) used to feel the fastest, but given the slog 4th Av seems today, I think the (Q) is the most consistent

Yup. If you are targeting averages, the (N) wins. If you want to minimize disappointment, the (Q) is your bet. You won’t get there faster than N minutes, but you also don’t have to budget as many cushion minutes for interlining delays and the random but frequent unannounced switch to local along 4 Avenue.

I’m also surprised it’s taken me this long to make the connection from my IT experience: in the enterprise, it’s all about consistency and reliability. But consumers always get the marketing crap about “look how fast these benchmarks for our new product are!” Yeah… how often can anyone actually hit those high numbers?

The parallels are interesting:

• Abandonment Rate: Percentage of calls abandoned while waiting to be answered. A corresponding SLO may be: the abandonment rate of all the calls over the last 30 days should be < 30%.
  • ASA (Average Speed to Answer): Average time (usually in seconds) it takes for a call to be answered by the service desk. A corresponding SLO may be: the ASA of all the calls over the last 30 days should be < 20 seconds.
  • TSF (Time Service Factor): Percentage of calls answered within a definite timeframe, e.g., 80% in 20 seconds. A corresponding SLO may be: >90% of the calls over the last 30 days should be answered within 20 seconds.
  • TRT (total resolution time): Total time taken to complete a certain task.
  • MTTR (Mean Time To Recover): Time taken to recover after an outage of service.
  • Abandonment rate ~ percentage of trips that are skipped (don’t run)
  • Average speed to answer ~ average wait time to board the train you need
  • Time service factor ~ percentage of trains that actually show up at scheduled intervals
  • Total resolution time ~ trip time including getting to the station and all the transfers
  • Mean time to recover ~ time taken to restore normal scheduled service
Edited by CenSin

the common mistake people make is to assume we've turned the heat on. we can't. the HVAC system has an on button and an off button on the SMEEs and a toggle switch on the NTTs. the only place we have any control of the temperature is actually in our cabs. 

They then assume the heat is on because hot air is coming out of the vents, making a second mistake... the heaters on subway cars are under the seats. all the HVAC system is doing is pulling hot air from the tunnel and pumping it into the train without cooling it. 

6 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

all the HVAC system is doing is pulling hot air from the tunnel and pumping it into the train without cooling it.

Ditto for humidity.

It’s a lottery, and if you get on a train that’s just getting warmed up … lol.

Edited by CenSin
Pardon the pun. It was unintended at the time of writing.

14 hours ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I can confirm this, I had to take the (1) last Friday due to the massive delays on the southbound (A)(B)(C)(D) that afternoon and the car I entered was so hot that I had to switch to the next one.

It's been an issue every summer for years and nothing has been done about it.

22 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It’s called “buying new trains…”

the 62s are going on 40 years old, after all…

Right when he posted that yesterday, I was actually on an (F) train (R160), and had to skip cars because two of them had crappy air conditioning.

In any case, I’d place my bets on a NTT having working air conditioning.

Edited by CenSin

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

Right when he posted that yesterday, I was actually on an (F) train (R160), and had to skip cars because two of them had crappy air conditioning.

In any case, I’d place my bets on a NTT having working air conditioning.

i mean, with an NTT, you just need to swap out the HVAC module. can't do that with a SMEE.

8 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

So apparently the MTA might be considering doing something with Rogers Junction (possibly deinterlining?) based on the recent capital program presentation (skip to 46 mins in). What do the RTO folks on here think

Video was removed, but if I had to guess, it might have been something relating to the IRT Study from 2019? Only saying that cause it was also featured recently again in the Needs Assessment report.

So the ERA newsletter Calvin shared suggested they’re demolishing the old Marcy Avenue tower…

if they are doing it… they’re moving at an absolute snail’s pace.

so far, to my “passes that thing multiple times a day” eye, all they’ve done is take the door off the bottom floor.

i am off the next three days (bereavement leave, my grandmother passed on Saturday), this weekend, there is another GO cutting service back to Hewes… like last weekend…

if the tower looks exactly the same on Monday as it did today, I am seriously calling that report into question…

15 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Video was removed, but if I had to guess, it might have been something relating to the IRT Study from 2019? Only saying that cause it was also featured recently again in the Needs Assessment report.

Not sure, but they mentioned in the video that they were looking at a a major reorganization of lines through the junction that was supposed to save times for all trips