SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

We gave them shuttle buses when the Culver project started.

they didn't use the shuttle buses.

We stopped running them.

and then they started complaining about not having a shuttle bus they didn't use in the first place...

So, politics as usual? LMAO.

I've been looking into the yard stickers + other designations that the (MTA) has used on the R62A fleet over the years and I've generally been successful at finding out what certain stickers meant. However, there are two designations that have stumped me:

img_30464.jpg

In this picture of 1954, I know that it was Livonia (3) based, but that orange diamond in the sticker confuses me. It can't be the brake valve modification since that happened later on when the car was based out of Corona, and not all of the Livonia singles received that orange diamond.

img_108622.jpg

In this photo from the early 90s, both 1889 and 1805 have a green dot. Multiple Pelham cars received the green dots inside their sticker (at least seven of them), but again, not all units received them.

If anyone has an idea on what the green dot and orange diamond mean, help would be appreciated.

Edited by MeeP15-9112
clarification

2 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Do you know the fleet number car assignment for each yard that had the R62As ?

For the (3) and (6) No, but the (1) line mostly had the same R62As it does now, with a few sets and transferred to and from 240th yard over the years.

Edited by trainfan22

the (3) had most of the 1900's, 2000 and half of the 2100 series. The (3) was all 9 cars until i would say 2002 is when it went full length and those cars started going to the (7) starting in February of 2002. The R62s from the (4)  started displacing the R62As in mid 2002. The (3) briefly had some R62As from the (6)  before going to the (7). the (3) kept 2 sets of R62As until March of 2009 when the (1) got 10 cars and the (7) got the other half and the last 2-3 sets of R62s from the (4) were sent to the (3)

The (6) had 1651-the early to mid 1900's (this group started out on the (1) until 1986-87 when they started to move over to the (6)) then those got sent to the  (7) starting in February of 2002 with a set or two going to the (1) as well

The (1) is still the same minus some cars that came from the (6) and (3) line

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

the (3) had most of the 1900's, 2000 and half of the 2100 series. The (3) was all 9 cars until i would say 2002 is when it went full length and those cars started going to the (7) starting in February of 2002. The R62s from the (4)  started displacing the R62As in mid 2002. The (3) briefly had some R62As from the (6)  before going to the (7). the (3) kept 2 sets of R62As until March of 2009 when the (1) got 10 cars and the (7) got the other half and the last 2-3 sets of R62s from the (4) were sent to the (3)

Few corrections: The (3) started Full Length right after 9/11 and the R62s didn't start transferring from the (4) to the (3) until 2003. The first day a set ran on the (3) was May 9 2003.

23 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Few corrections: The (3) started Full Length right after 9/11 and the R62s didn't start transferring from the (4) to the (3) until 2003. The first day a set ran on the (3) was May 9 2003.

Correct. Right after 9/11 the line ran ten car trains as (1) New Lots to Van Cortlandt Park , iirc.

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

I thought the (3) didn't start getting R62s until late 2002, I didn't pay attention to the IRT that much at the time when i was only focused on the redbirds

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Correct. Right after 9/11 the line ran ten car trains as (1) New Lots to Van Cortlandt Park , iirc.

Yeah up into around september of 2002 is when it returned to south ferry.

I know that R44s from NYCT were retired early than the R32 due to conditions of the fleet that's worse than the R32s. My thought is that: were the LCDs saved and be put in use for the R46s in-case of damage or so? 

Edited by Calvin

On 7/2/2023 at 12:14 AM, MeeP15-9112 said:

I've been looking into the yard stickers + other designations that the (MTA) has used on the R62A fleet over the years and I've generally been successful at finding out what certain stickers meant. However, there are two designations that have stumped me:

img_30464.jpg

In this picture of 1954, I know that it was Livonia (3) based, but that orange diamond in the sticker confuses me. It can't be the brake valve modification since that happened later on when the car was based out of Corona, and not all of the Livonia singles received that orange diamond.

img_108622.jpg

In this photo from the early 90s, both 1889 and 1805 have a green dot. Multiple Pelham cars received the green dots inside their sticker (at least seven of them), but again, not all units received them.

If anyone has an idea on what the green dot and orange diamond mean, help would be appreciated.

Ok I can explain that. But before I continue, lemme give you a rundown on the IRT sticker labels under the number plates:

(1) 240 St Yard use 🔴 labels, still in use today

(2) 239th St Yard used 🟢 labels until 1994 then went to

(3) Livonia-Lenox Yard 🔵 labels until 2002

(4) Jerome Yard 🟠 labels until 2002 

(5) Unionport Yard ️ labels until the 1994 swap with 🟢

(6) Westchester Yard 🟡 labels until 2001. They now use 🟢

(7) Corona Yard had 2 labels: ️ 9307-9477 🟡 9558-9769 until 2003, they use 🟣 until 2011. 

In 1993, the (NYCT) was adjusting all the doors on the R62 class cars. So all the pops that you was hearing was eliminated. The orange diamonds provided what subway cars were adjusted. the green dot on several R62As mean open width cabs before the 1996. The ones on the (1) were converted to 5 car linked. So they were doing this because of OPTO coming to both the (S) 42nd St and (5) Dyre Ave Shuttle. 

I was looking at the 63rd St project and most of this work will be done overnight on both tracks and one track at all other times. The (M) is shortened to 57th St-6th Ave and will use a live track, while the other one is dead 

(F) will run it’s pre-2001 routing 

(E) will also be reduced slightly. 

(R) will be increased 

(S) will be used on one live track from 63rd to 21st Queensridge except overnights

shuttle buses will operate from 21 to 36 to connect to (R)
there is 🚫 service from 57th St & 6th Ave when you’re sleeping. 

Passed by Coney Island Yard today in the passenger seat point of view and saw that majority of them held as spares from the weekday service is the R46s than the R68 and R68A. There were at least 7 R46 trains counted while both R68 and R68A were 3 each making it 6. 

Edited by Calvin

18 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What is with these NYPD announcements? They are doing way to much with the announcement programs these days.

If you mean that the NYPD is at the subway stations or platforms, conductors and one person operators on the Shuttles, weekend G and M trains announce this message to ensure safety to passengers to one another. Also, looking for help like Union Square, they have a NYPD station itself close to the subway exit where the turnstiles are at.  

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What is with these NYPD announcements? They are doing way to much with the announcement programs these days.

They want us to do it. We get yelled at if we don’t do it enough. We literally have TSSs at certain stations watching us. One even shoved a clip board with the announcement script in my face mid way through my normal announcements (this is a ____ bound…. (Clipboard appears) Let me finish…)

27 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

They want us to do it. We get yelled at if we don’t do it enough. We literally have TSSs at certain stations watching us. One even shoved a clip board with the announcement script in my face mid way through my normal announcements (this is a ____ bound…. (Clipboard appears) Let me finish…)

That’s my point, they are doing way to much.