SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone else think the (MTA) is doing to much with the R142A’s…these LCD advertisements look tacky and just not needed.

I would imagine that the MTA is attempting to make the NTT fleet more uniform with the same features. The R62/R62A’s will probably be here for at least another decade so the IRT lines would lack those new features.

Plus it’s definitely a cost cutting measure because they don’t have to pay for printing ads and posting them up. The MTA has been putting up those punching bags.. I mean digital screens on station platforms as well and it can cycle through way more information than a printed advertisement could. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone else think the (MTA) is doing to much with the R142A’s…these LCD advertisements look tacky and just not needed.

It'll definitely bring more ad revenue for the MTA being that it can cycle dozens of different ads at a time, I'm sure that's what they were going for.

How hard would it be to connect the platforms/stations on 7th Avenue (B)(Q) and Grand Army Plaza (2)(3), as well as connecting DeKalb Avenue (B)(Q)(R) and Nevins St (2)(3)(4)(5)? They're absurdly close together and seem like very promising connections, and these connections could relieve the not-so-close-together Atlantic Avenue platforms at least a little.

2 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

How hard would it be to connect the platforms/stations on 7th Avenue (B)(Q) and Grand Army Plaza (2)(3), as well as connecting DeKalb Avenue (B)(Q)(R) and Nevins St (2)(3)(4)(5)? They're absurdly close together and seem like very promising connections, and these connections could relieve the not-so-close-together Atlantic Avenue platforms at least a little.

Both of those station connections you suggested are longer than the existing one at Atlantic Avenue.

Though at 7 Avenue, one might simply be able to knock down the wall and call it a day. The (2)(3) run right by the (B)(Q) platforms. Because of elevation differences though, they may have to do the same thing they did for the (R) at DeKalb Avenue and have one half of the platform be at a different height to match the track profile.

Edited by CenSin

2 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

I don’t know if it would be worth it to connect those stations.

Instead I would try to connect the (G) at Fulton Street to Atlantic Ave/Barclay Center. That would be beneficial to way more riders than connect Dekalb & Nevins St or 7th Ave & Grand Army Plaza. Besides that transfer already exist at Atlantic Ave. 
Another set of stations that should be connected is Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza. This would allow riders from along Queens Blvd and Southern Queens to have access to Astoria. Currently one has to transfer from the (N)(W) to the (7) to the (E)(F)(M)(R) and possibly to whatever connecting bus.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:21 PM, trainfan22 said:

If you think NYCT is bad, an old MBTA subway train caught fire on an bridge, a rider jumped off the train into the river below! IIRC the Orange line new cars are delayed for some reason. I rode those old Orange line subway cars in dec 2020, they make the 2022 R46s look like an Maybach in comparison.

mbta-orange-line-train-fire-1658422137.p

To be honest, MBTA's maintanence is very bad when it comes to the 15, 16, 1700s, 1800s, and 1200s. The 1200s-1700s are all on their last legs, and the MDBF seems like its getting lower every month with these cars. Yes it may have been 90 degrees, but MBTA hasn't been thinking with logic when it comes to the activity of the subway cars. The 1200s have been ran to the ground every time the T takes the 14s OOS. They only need to take the troubled train out, not the whole fleet. As it creates delays, long headways, etc. But luckily, MBTA is running weekend services on the subway, so the 1400s *sixth* grounding isn't so affecting to Orange riders. This proves that CRRC shouldn't build the rest of the 1400s, and the 1900s for the red line. MBTA needs to get their shit together.

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Eh... they're doing little to the R142As imo... the entire fleet needs to be refreshed. Jerome isn't doing such a great job with the R142As.

1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

Eh... they're doing little to the R142As imo... the entire fleet needs to be refreshed. Jerome isn't doing such a great job with the R142As.

The Jerome crews pretty much became the old Westchester crews…

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

To be honest, yes. When the (6) had 7211-7670, they were falling apart with the screeching brakes and buckings on those cars. 

Well, screeching brakes should be the least of a trains problems. Our R62As, R142A, R143s, R160s, and R188s all do have screeching brakes. along with some R46s.

Westchester has R62As now and the cars are in good shape. R188s which is just an R142A with CBTC runs the same as they did when Westchester had them and the MDBF jumped up  then dropped though the floor, IIRC the Bombardier R142s now have an higher MDBF than the both the 2013 built R188s AND the converted sets.

If Jerome is to blame for the 142As condition then why aren't the Bombardier R142s there having the same problems?

Maybe just maybe, the R142A/188 is just a shitty subway car:lol: I like them but they are easily the worst of the NTT car classes.

BTW I don't think individual maintenance shops get to choose to have digital ads installed on their tech trains, I would imagine someone higher in the NYCT rankings makes those decisions. Some of the R143s also has those digital ads.

22 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Instead I would try to connect the (G) at Fulton Street to Atlantic Ave/Barclay Center. That would be beneficial to way more riders than connect Dekalb & Nevins St or 7th Ave & Grand Army Plaza.

This is an idea that I still don’t understand why the MTA hasn’t considered… Even if no direct connection/passage is built, at least making an OOS transfer could be useful. The transfer between the (R)and (F)(G) at 4th Avenue/9th Street doesn’t help much, and for any riders riders going between Brooklyn and Queens or northern and southern Brooklyn, even with the small walk, going from the Atlantic complex to Fulton St (G) shaves at least 5 minutes off of commutes (Google Maps displays this well if you set the start location to Atlantic-Barclays and the end location to any station you can transfer to the G with).

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Westchester has R62As now and the cars are in good shape. R188s which is just an R142A with CBTC runs the same as they did when Westchester had them and the MDBF jumped up  then dropped though the floor, IIRC the Bombardier R142s now have an higher MDBF than the both the 2013 built R188s AND the converted sets.

If Jerome is to blame for the 142As condition then why aren't the Bombardier R142s there having the same problems?

Maybe just maybe, the R142A/188 is just a shitty subway car:lol: I like them but they are easily the worst of the NTT car classes.

BTW I don't think individual maintenance shops get to choose to have digital ads installed on their tech trains, I would imagine someone higher in the NYCT rankings makes those decisions. Some of the R143s also has those digital ads.

Just to point out, seems like maybe Westchester finally decided on removing the LED cirlcle/diamond lights from the side signs. Theres a handfull of R62As on the (6) already without them.

On 7/31/2022 at 3:59 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t know if it would be worth it to connect those stations.

Instead I would try to connect the (G) at Fulton Street to Atlantic Ave/Barclay Center. That would be beneficial to way more riders than connect Dekalb & Nevins St or 7th Ave & Grand Army Plaza. Besides that transfer already exist at Atlantic Ave. 
Another set of stations that should be connected is Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza. This would allow riders from along Queens Blvd and Southern Queens to have access to Astoria. Currently one has to transfer from the (N)(W) to the (7) to the (E)(F)(M)(R) and possibly to whatever connecting bus.

That could be done as a MetroCard/OMNY transfer.  Same for the (2) / (3) to the (B) / (Q) between Grand Army Plaza and 7th Avenue.   

I actually suggested my doing such a MetroCard transfer between the (G) and the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) at Atlantic-Barclays when the (L) was supposed to be shut down as a way to prevent overcrowding at Court Square on the (7)(E)(M) lines. 

On 7/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, Calvin said:

To be honest, yes. When the (6) had 7211-7670, they were falling apart with the screeching brakes and buckings on those cars. 

Comparatively, the 62A's assigned to the 1 Line look absolutely filthy. Some of those cars look so brown covered in that heavy layer of thick dust... It's the crews at the yards that are partly due to the problem, many of them couldn't care less...

1 hour ago, Prospect said:

Comparatively, the 62A's assigned to the 1 Line look absolutely filthy. Some of those cars look so brown covered in that heavy layer of thick dust... It's the crews at the yards that are partly due to the problem, many of them couldn't care less...

You do realize that trains go through an automatic car wash. I don’t remember any individuals cleaning the equipment by hand. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You do realize that trains go through an automatic car wash. I don’t remember any individuals cleaning the equipment by hand. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?

I know he meant that the (1) train's R62As outside appearance is very bad b/c of the dirt and brown covered dusts on the bonnets. Although, most of the cars never got a deep wash even though 239 St Yard on the (2) has one. R62s on the (3) and R62As on the (6) can be seen "Not In Service" for a wash but not often for the (1) . I did see 1851 on the (1) and that one had the bonnets painted all silver that the dirt and dust wasn't visible. 

Totally random thoughts and observations from last week’s news and posts 

The (MTA) is kicking the R68 /68A cars to the curb? What’s going to happen with the equipment? The R62/62A cars are older but we’re keeping them?

The NY Penn Station upgrade plans with the new office towers smells like a real estate scam , IMO. The federal government doesn’t want to fund it and left it out of any future plans.

Read about the (MTA) long term wishlist. Reactivating the old Rockaway Beach line ? Interborough rail line? An agency that can’t get past Parsons-Archer? SAS ? Utica Avenue study ? Luckily the clowns that come up with a list like this aren’t in safety sensitive positions like the hourly B/O or train crews. We’re subject to drug testing 😀

Seems like the State Comptroller is the only one living in the real world. He flat out stated that the (MTA) financial plans for the future are unrealistic and not even fully funded no matter how much they juggle with the numbers. 

Just my take on things after reading the Times, Daily News, Newsday and the Washington Post over the last week. Carry on.

23 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I know he meant that the (1) train's R62As outside appearance is very bad b/c of the dirt and brown covered dusts on the bonnets. Although, most of the cars never got a deep wash even though 239 St Yard on the (2) has one. R62s on the (3) and R62As on the (6) can be seen "Not In Service" for a wash but not often for the (1) . I did see 1851 on the (1) and that one had the bonnets painted all silver that the dirt and dust wasn't visible. 

Haven’t been keeping track of the wash procedure but at one time  the (1) got washed at 207 st, the (3) at 239 and Westchester had it’s own wash for the (6) trains. Guess things are different these days. Thanks for your reply. Carry on.