SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Track Geometry Car is on the (L) line right now, didn't know they were CBTC equipped. 

I don't think they are but you can run a non cbtc train on a cbtc route. they added back wayside signals on the (L) between broadway junction and 1st ave due to the Carnarsie tube work for work trains to get to and from the work site. so its possible.

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't think they are but you can run a non cbtc train on a cbtc route. they added back wayside signals on the (L) between broadway junction and 1st ave due to the Carnarsie tube work for work trains to get to and from the work site. so its possible.

That is true. I’ve seen r62a/r127/r134 garbage trains along the (7) and I don’t think that those cars are CBTC enabled. I only see CBTC signals though.

It’s ridiculous- waiting at Lexington Av now for the Astoria bound (N) and of the roughly 10 R46 trains that passed, only one of them had all the signs correct (destination and route-wise). Most of the other trains had literally half the train set as (W) and the other half set as (N), and PA system barely audible. I feel sorry for those downtown commuters.

49 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

It’s ridiculous- waiting at Lexington Av now for the Astoria bound (N) and of the roughly 10 R46 trains that passed, only one of them had all the signs correct (destination and route-wise). Most of the other trains had literally half the train set as (W) and the other half set as (N), and PA system barely audible. I feel sorry for those downtown commuters.

Including me. It’s very ridiculous. I made a post about this on the R211 discussion thread. The next (N) train to astoria was in 33 minutes. Outrageous.

13 minutes ago, Storm said:

Including me. It’s very ridiculous. I made a post about this on the R211 discussion thread. The next (N) train to astoria was in 33 minutes. Outrageous.

And after  about an hour of waiting to see if an R160 would magically pop up, I gave up and took a bicycle home.

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

And after  about an hour of waiting to see if an R160 would magically pop up, I gave up and took a bicycle home.

You waited an HOUR for a specific car model that doesn’t serve the (N) line? 

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Lol it is best not to ask any questions and just let him do him because we aren’t going to change his mind. 
I had the same question in mind when I read this last night but if he wants to waste his time and then opt to bike afterward just because of the R46’s than so be it. 

Even though I want the R46’s gone myself I would not trip if I caught one going where I need to go. I used to ride them all the time on the (R) and the line was primarily R46’s for 3 decades. From my observations it seems CI is taking better care of them than Jamaica. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Lol it is best not to ask any questions and just let him do him because we aren’t going to change his mind. 
I had the same question in mind when I read this last night but if he wants to waste his time and then opt to bike afterward just because of the R46’s than so be it. 

Even though I want the R46’s gone myself I would not trip if I caught one going where I need to go. I used to ride them all the time on the (R) and the line was primarily R46’s for 3 decades. From my observations it seems CI is taking better care of them than Jamaica. 

They run way worse on the (N)(Q)(W) than they did on the (R) with the worst cars being on the (Q). I took the R46s on the (F)(R) lines my whole life and when i ride them on the CI routes, They ride a lot worse than when they ran on the (R).

The Pitkin R46s are better than the CI ones.

12 hours ago, VIP said:

Yeah a couple of times (when the R160s were still part of the (N) in 2020 and 2021) I had to wait for the train I had missed at Lexington Av to make its round trip to Astoria, back to CI, and back up to Astoria because there were only three R160s on the line (and the rest of the CI ones on the (Q)), a whopping 2 hours and 25 mins, and the three 160s to my luck were all back to back to back, and nothing but R46s passing me by. 

and the reason I did wait is because a few AM rush hours, there have been surprise R160 trips on the (N) (even though it is a one-off every so often) in the morning oj my way to work. Now what I do is wait outside Ditmars in the AM to see if there are any surprise R160s, and if 30 mins pass and none come, then I bike down 31 St towards Manhattan. Only would get off if ironically there would be an R160 headed up towards Ditmars, park the bike and wait for the train at the closest stop. I used to even ask on twitter when the next R160 would come so that I could plan my afternoon trips, so I would never have to wait that 2 hours and 25 minutes that apparently the (N) takes to make a round trip

the Myrtle-Wyckoff (L) station smells like shit. Like I ran through the station twice today (about 3 hours apart) and both times the station smells like crap and when the  (L) runs through the station it lingers in the car until it hits the next station. 

31 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

the Myrtle-Wyckoff (L) station smells like shit. Like I ran through the station twice today (about 3 hours apart) and both times the station smells like crap and when the  (L) runs through the station it lingers in the car until it hits the next station. 

I rode though there this evening and noticed the same thing. Wonder what the cause is.

3 hours ago, Theli11 said:

I remember Lexington Ave/59th St (N)(R)(W) smelling like vomit for years, even after various projects that took place there. Somehow the smell always managed to stay behind.

9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:
12 hours ago, Theli11 said:

I remember Lexington Ave/59th St (N)(R)(W) smelling like vomit for years, even after various projects that took place there. Somehow the smell always managed to stay behind.

Some things are built on blood, sweat, and tears. NYC’s subway infrastructure is built on piss, shit, ‘n’ vomit. Sounds like they never tiled over the vomit parts.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, R32 3838 said:

They only added 1 signal outside of Morgan Av so there's now 2 signal blocks between Broadway Junction and Lorimer St. Still a hassle, but not as much of a turdfest as it was before

On 6/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, Lil 57 said:

That is true. I’ve seen r62a/r127/r134 garbage trains along the (7) and I don’t think that those cars are CBTC enabled. I only see CBTC signals though.

The 7 still kept its automatic signals for the most part, so conventional block signaling  can still work alongside CBTC. There's still a 2 signal block space between trains.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, Theli11 said:

Myrtle-Wyckoff smelled like shit for years, it stopped at one point , sad to see if continued all over again

On 6/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, R32 3838 said:

They run way worse on the (N)(Q)(W) than they did on the (R)with the worst cars being on the (Q). I took the R46s on the (F)(R) lines my whole life and when i ride them on the CI routes, They ride a lot worse than when they ran on the (R).

The Pitkin R46s are better than the CI ones.

They don’t specifically single out which units perform best/worse and assign the cars for service. Whatever R46 you see on the (N) ends up on the (Q) and the same goes with the (W) what can be done is having the R68/68A’s exclusive to the (Q) while the (N)/(W) swap R46’s