SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/13/2022 at 10:10 PM, DaPr03 said:

Transit Tech High School kids (and surprisingly, 85% of them are railfans who has pages on Instagram), they come out of school everyday around 2:30 PM to do stuff like this.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:04 AM, Around the Horn said:

How they haven't shut the school down by now is beyond me...

As someone who graduated from there, I wouldn't even consider those kids to be railfans by a long shot when they're doing stupid shit like this, not to mention when I went, 90% of the students didn't give a shit about transit at all. Also from what I've heard, Transit Tech has been moving away from the "Transit" part of the name as of recently. IDK how true this is cause I haven't been there in a while

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

A robbery happened yesterday on the (N) line at Queensboro Plaza, Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. 4 teenagers knocked down and stole a pair of keys that's part of TA property. 

https://www.facebook.com/NYPDTips/videos/412789867091271/

That's not right; this is grounds for a cab break in or even worse!

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Good that means that the foamers can't run wild

Even if it a smee train, The idiots couldn't run wild regardless. I went on the TOMC <7> train trip when conquestors were running wild and the trip was peaceful and none of them were on the trip. Paid Trips are just better. It's only when they run any museum trains in normal service you would have some type of drama.

I'm glad the trips are back and I'm grateful but it's the usual Low V's and R1/9's. They couldn't even use the pre-war BMT equipment for the CI trip.

It sucks that the TOMC doesn't come out as much. But I think the TOMM will be out on the parade of trains if they do one this year.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, trainfan22 said:

Summer fan trips are back using the museum cars, Low V for the one IRT trip, and the Arnines for the two B div trips

https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/nostalgiarides/

Priced tickets for NYTM Rides? This is new but anything to stop Foamers from Ruining these trips

3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Priced tickets for NYTM Rides? This is new but anything to stop Foamers from Ruining these trips

It went up after the lockdown happened in 2020. I remember purchasing the Train of Many Metals round-trip between 96 St/2 Av and Coney Island on the (Q) line, it was 40 dollars for non-members. At least, 35 for NYTM members. Currently, non-members get the 20 dollar jump. 

Edited by Calvin

24 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

There have been priced tickets for the summer fan trips since forever. I remember buying an ticket for an TOMC trip in 2008. There was the old March of Dimes fan trips which you also had to buy an ticket to ride. Never been on an March of Dimes trips but I seen photos from them and they was awesome. 

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

I saw R142A #7312, and it got refitted with LCD advertisements.yGVECCu.jpg

That is an R188, however I did see an R142A on the (4) (forgot the number) tonight with the screens.

Edited by Lil 57

21 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder how the (M) trains rotate from full length trains to 4 cars on a Friday, weekends and Mondays. Do they separate the full-length trains at Metropolitan Av or at the Yard? 

In the (real) old days in the IRT in the midnight's. Guess the process is system wide.

(1) cut 5+5 at VC

(2) cut 5+5 at New Lots

(3) cut 4+5 at Lenox 

(5) cut 5+5 at Dyre

All trains were added up after the midnight tour ended,  usually with the original mate. No need to enter the yard. Carry on. 

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder how the (M) trains rotate from full length trains to 4 cars on a Friday, weekends and Mondays. Do they separate the full-length trains at Metropolitan Av or at the Yard? 

They do it at Metropolitan ave

Lefferts Shuttle, They cut the trains at Lefferts blvd as well.

Edited by R32 3838

The Atlantic Av-Barclays Center station, Lafayette Av and Clinton-Washington Av (both C and G lines) were flooded with customers around midnight up to morning or so on. Release of the Biggie Smalls Metrocard: 50,000 units total projected. 

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2022/05/21/fans-swamp-brooklyn-subway-stations-for-limited-edition-biggie-metrocard/

Edited by Calvin

There were two guys smoking on the Pelham Bay Park (6) Local that I got on of in car #1916. They got off at East 177 Street so fast, i couldn't even tell the conductor what happened on her car when they left. Based on this, I came close to believing that the interval was going to blow up. The connecting set was to 1670 as the south lead to Brooklyn Bridge and north lead to Pelham Bay Park.

I wonder if this has happened before, but I cannot believe I let that go so easily.

59 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

There were two guys smoking on the Pelham Bay Park (6) Local that I got on of in car #1916. They got off at East 177 Street so fast, i couldn't even tell the conductor what happened on her car when they left. Based on this, I came close to believing that the interval was going to blow up. The connecting set was to 1670 as the south lead to Brooklyn Bridge and north lead to Pelham Bay Park.

I wonder if this has happened before, but I cannot believe I let that go so easily.

In recent months, people smoking on the subway seems to be an common thing. I see it regularly. 

Don't beat yourself up over not reporting it as most riders ignore it or move to a different part of the car.

Edited by trainfan22