SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Funny thing is I remember when the (N) train was ranked as one of the worst subway lines in the system. The (MTA) worked to improve that line considerably, but the (R) has remained horrendous.

Funny you say that because now that the R160s are gone from the (N) / (W) I think they’ve reclaimed their glory as being the worst subway lines again. Constant mechanical problems on trains, many cancelled headways APART from those caused by crew shortages, the list goes on

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Funny thing is I remember when the (N) train was ranked as one of the worst subway lines in the system. The (MTA) worked to improve that line considerably, but the (R) has remained horrendous.

Would that time been during the Manhattan Bridge project that sent the (N) local via Whitehall full time? 

34 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

Would that time been during the Manhattan Bridge project that sent the (N) local via Whitehall full time? 

I can't recall the exact date, but it had to be in the early 2000s. I was still living in Brooklyn and recall a report that came out about the (N) being the worst train in the system at the time.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I can't recall the exact date, but it had to be in the early 2000s. I was still living in Brooklyn and recall a report that came out about the (N) being the worst train in the system at the time.

It was in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006, with the last two years the (N) sharing the title with the (W). and in 2007, the (W) had the title all to itself.

2003 and 2004's ratings were due to the (N) routing thru lower Manhattan and reduced frequencies. 2005 and 2006's ratings were due to the poor service reliability because of the Ditmars Blvd terminal and poor scheduling of the express (N) service in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The 2007 rating of the (W) was due to the poor service levels and again, Ditmars terminal issues and because trains could not switch on-the-fly between the (N) and (W), meaning the cars had to be treated as separate routes, which made scheduling northbound after 34 St and the merge that much more important. after late 2008 and early 2009, (W) service was increased and (N) / (W) service could switch cars as necessary, which they did A LOT especially during rush hours. In the 2016 (W) restoration, both routes are now grouped as part of the (N).

Edited by darkstar8983

1 minute ago, darkstar8983 said:

It was in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006, with the last two years the (N) sharing the title with the (W). and in 2007, the (W) had the title all to itself.

2003 and 2004's ratings were due to the (N) routing thru lower Manhattan and reduced frequencies. 2005 and 2006's ratings were due to the poor service reliability because of the Ditmars Blvd terminal and poor scheduling of the express (N) service in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The 2007 rating of the (W) was due to the poor service levels and again, Ditmars terminal issues and because trains could not switch on-the-fly between the (N) and (W), meaning the cars had to be treated as separate routes, which made scheduling northbound after 34 St and the merge that much more important. 

Yeah, I just know it was bad & seemed to improve over time.  I had been using the subway during the pandemic, but have stopped almost entirely, save for occasional short trips.  Too much nonsense going on.  Happy that I only have to go to the office a few days a week & not don't have to be in at set time because the service has been less than stellar lately (bus and subway) with the ongoing cancellations & long waits.

6 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

2003 and 2004's ratings were due to the (N) routing thru lower Manhattan and reduced frequencies. 2005 and 2006's ratings were due to the poor service reliability because of the Ditmars Blvd terminal and poor scheduling of the express (N) service in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The 2007 rating of the (W) was due to the poor service levels and again, Ditmars terminal issues and because trains could not switch on-the-fly between the (N) and (W), meaning the cars had to be treated as separate routes, which made scheduling northbound after 34 St and the merge that much more important. after late 2008 and early 2009, (W) service was increased and (N) / (W) service could switch cars as necessary, which they did A LOT especially during rush hours. In the 2016 (W) restoration, both routes are now grouped as part of the (N).

And you can blame the TA for that for trying to please everyone instead of doing what's logical. The (N) should not be stopping at 49th St. Between 2010-2018, the (N) should not have been the Broadway Local when the (W) was lost because that just made things incredibly worse.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And you can blame the TA for that for trying to please everyone instead of doing what's logical. The (N) should not be stopping at 49th St. Between 2010-2018, the (N) should not have been the Broadway Local when the (W) was lost because that just made things incredibly worse.

They pretty much don't have much of a choice because the (R) runs so poorly along Broadway. There are times when I needed local train service along the Broadway line and the waits can be extensive if it's just the (R) alone running and the trains are packed.  In all of these years, it's amazing to me that that line runs so infrequent and poorly. The (Q) is frequent enough that you don't need the (N) per se at all stops. I speak from experience as a user of the line for years.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Between 2010-2018, the (N) should not have been the Broadway Local when the (W) was lost because that just made things incredibly worse.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They pretty much don't have much of a choice because the (R) runs so poorly along Broadway. There are times when I needed local train service along the Broadway line and the waits can be extensive if it's just the (R) alone running and the trains are packed.  In all of these years, it's amazing to me that that line runs so infrequent and poorly. The (Q) is frequent enough that you don't need the (N) per se at all stops. I speak from experience as a user of the line for years.

Agreed, remember earlier this year when the (W) was suspended for pandemic related shortages. They kept the (N) running express in Manhattan and (R) service was piss-poor, especially due to the pandemic related shortages. Unless reliability and/or frequency is improved on the (R) there has to be another local service on Broadway.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Agreed, remember earlier this year when the (W) was suspended for pandemic related shortages. They kept the (N) running express in Manhattan and (R) service was piss-poor, especially due to the pandemic related shortages. Unless reliability and/or frequency is improved on the (R) there has to be another local service on Broadway.

Too much usage at stations like 49th & 23rd for example to just have the (R) running to them with the service it has at all times, so something has to run to provide supplemental service.

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I have no sympathy for these clowns 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdpwskxM/?k=1
Just saw this tiktok where these subway surfer kids hijack the PA system and make bomb/shooting threats. According to the caption the whole train had to be stopped and the rider had to get an Uber because of this. This stuff is getting way out of hand.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I have no sympathy for these clowns 

Few months ago someone subway surfing fell from the top of the 7 train...Just last dec im riding the J Just to see someone riding on the outside of the door not just one station either...From Essex to Gates...Im like this guy insane but held on....Where these kids get the guts to do such a dangerous act...

There was a video at Flushing-Main St around yesterday morning. There were two NYPD officers that received a message that an arriving (7) train at Main St had two surfers in the back. Crew notified them from Willets Point from a MTA worker waiting for another (7) train behind to start their shift. As soon as the (7) arrived and stopped, two cops pulled the two teens out the train and was brought upstairs to receive their summons. Details unknown after that. 

Edited by Calvin

53 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There was a video at Flushing-Main St around yesterday morning. There were two NYPD officers that received a message that an arriving (7) train at Main St had two surfers in the back. Crew notified them from Willets Point from a MTA worker waiting for another (7) train behind to start their shift. As soon as the (7) arrived and stopped, two cops pulled the two teens out the train and was brought upstairs to receive their summons. Details unknown after that. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdsYbbJF/?k=1
Is this it? Just saw it on my fyp on TikTok.

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Yep, that's the one. There was one on facebook but, didn't know if it'll pop up on here. 

My fyp is full of these subway surfer videos. I feel like it's starting to become some sort of trend to ride on the back/on top of trains, break into the train cabs, change rollsigns on moving trains, etc... (not a good one).

It's even expanding to other transit systems in the area. I remember seeing a video of someone surfing an NJT train on the Northeast Corridor. 

Edited by Lil 57

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

My fyp is full of these subway surfer videos. I feel like it's starting to become some sort of trend to ride on the back/on top of trains, break into the train cabs, change rollsigns on moving trains, etc... (not a good one).

It's even expanding to other transit systems in the area. I remember seeing a video of someone surfing an NJT train on the Northeast Corridor. 

Yeah, it's been a trend for a good few months already. I've been seeing lots and lots of videos of people sneaking into laid up trains such as ones in lower level City Hall, Crown Heights, and anywhere else along with breaking into train cabs, train surfing, rollsign, and vandalism for a few months. 

22 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Yeah, it's been a trend for a good few months already. I've been seeing lots and lots of videos of people sneaking into laid up trains such as ones in lower level City Hall, Crown Heights, and anywhere else along with breaking into train cabs, train surfing, rollsign, and vandalism for a few months. 

There is a pair of hooligans on the Fulton line kicking out the R46’s cab windows. 3 sets of R46’s out of service yesterday! Causing gaps in service. Whoever on this website knows of these people, REPORT them. 

24 minutes ago, VIP said:

There is a pair of hooligans on the Fulton line kicking out the R46’s cab windows. 3 sets of R46’s out of service yesterday! Causing gaps in service. Whoever on this website knows of these people, REPORT them. 

Transit Tech High School kids (and surprisingly, 85% of them are railfans who has pages on Instagram), they come out of school everyday around 2:30 PM to do stuff like this.

Edited by DaPr03

This is something. 

R. Kelly and accused subway shooter Frank James form friendship in Brooklyn jail – New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-r-kelly-accused-subway-shooter-frank-james-friends-mdc-jail-20220515-2xuxmnlxdfc7hitwp4irw4bru4-story.html?fbclid=IwAR3WBKxyGYu9YVWxEPsl2yjJ2hYhEvVk52sdaP5uUVNXWH7rl7lB8f-8YZo

MTA need to get their station agents on the same page regarding shuttle buses. 

Don't tell me I don't need a block ticket and "just ask the agent to get back into the station" (or GO ticket as what they are called now), and at the same time have the agent at the other end yell at me and other passengers for thinking "he's stupid enough to fall for our silly tricks".

If I didn't want to pay the fare, I would've just hopped and not come to his window and asked. Thank god a passenger opened the gate, because it was absolutely ridiculous,and I was not about to pay twice

Edited by Mtatransit