SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

57 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

All these subwaydle complaints, i don't think it's supposed to be the most logical of routes, just any routes in the realm of possibility.

That’s the problem.

Technically you could do (4) to 161st to (D) to (2) at Barclays. But why (Q) to TSQ to (A)?

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Deucey said:

That’s the problem.

Technically you could do (4) to 161st to (D) to (2) at Barclays. But why (Q) to TSQ to (A)?

I don't think there needs to be a logical reason out side of, this is a route that 

1) Doesn't go through a station twice, and 
2) Doesn't hop back and forth between express-local (like a (4) to Barclays,  (3) to Franklin Av and (5) to Brooklyn College solution), 
"Multiple routings may be possible to make the trip, but your goal is to find the one routing that matches the puzzle of the day. The solution may or may not be the fastest or efficient routing."

24 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

I don't think there needs to be a logical reason out side of, this is a route that 

1) Doesn't go through a station twice, and 
2) Doesn't hop back and forth between express-local (like a (4) to Barclays,  (3) to Franklin Av and (5) to Brooklyn College solution), 
"Multiple routings may be possible to make the trip, but your goal is to find the one routing that matches the puzzle of the day. The solution may or may not be the fastest or efficient routing."

That doesn't even remotely excuse unreasonable itineraries.

I think what would make the whole Subwaydle less irritating, is if it gave a hint or small detail about one of the stations that one would either pass or transfer at. 

This way, the issue of there being a plethora of technically correct options could be avoided.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Just be glad it's not for buses. 

Oh gawd if it was buses I would’ve thrown my phone already.

Although that woman at Apple SoHo’s Genius Bar was bangin, so a broke iPhone would be a good excuse  to go back for another repair and holler at her.

I've been coming out of the (1) train stop at 50th street recently on weekend evenings, and I see there's some sort of fancy looking bar/club in one of the storefronts within the station, on the staircase, where there is also (I believe) a now defunct barber shop. Some bouncer was checking IDs, but there was no sign or anything other than a small "open" sign. I only saw what it was when the door opened. Must be pretty soundproof, because I didn't hear a peep with the door closed. Anyone know what this place is?

Is it me or the R160s heat is trash? That's one area where the R179 was an improvement over the R160s, R179s are nice and toasty where's the R160s are chilly.

R160s have GREAT A/C in the summer but the heat is weak.

Bombardier R142s also have great heat, I think that's one reason the (2) is so popular with the homeless during the winter despite the fact that the (2) spends well over an hour outside in the BX (round trip).

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Is it me or the R160s heat is trash? That's one area where the R179 was an improvement over the R160s, R179s are nice and toasty where's the R160s are chilly.

R160s have GREAT A/C in the summer but the heat is weak.

Bombardier R142s also have great heat, I think that's one reason the (2) is so popular with the homeless during the winter despite the fact that the (2) spends well over an hour outside in the BX (round trip).

Thats one area were the R179s thrive on, when it comes to there heating system and the quality audio announcements. If by some chance I'm ever in the Rockaways or at Howard-JFK waiting for an (A) in frigid cold weather Im damn sure hoping for a R179 lol. 

Those R68s are NOT my go to trains during the winter only and I'd assume some of you know why.

The heating on the R142s are toasting no doubt about that, so it doesn't surprise me the amount of homelessness sheltering on those trains.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, trainfan22 said:

I know. I was talking about before the R160s came. Back then the R143s only ran on the (L) and the weekend (M) . The mixed (L) and (J) strip maps is a recent thing. I rode the (J) regularly in 03-05 and only R42s ran on the line. 

I never understood the point of them running 4-car R143s on the weekend <M>.  But then, things were strange in general on the post-WTC J/M/Z lines.  R40Ms on the (J) going to 4th-95th, R40 Slant <M> trains going to Coney Island.  Quite a detour.

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah people keep complaining along Astoria that trains are arriving with the wrong signage and causing massive confusion at 57th St. 

There's also R68/As on the (N): Almost every (N) train I've seen with this class fleet, there's 1 out of the few or more that either has another terminal stuck in its sign or that it's missing. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah people keep complaining along Astoria that trains are arriving with the wrong signage and causing massive confusion at 57th St. 

I arrived at Coney Island on a Broadway local “(W)”. The R46 train was actually an (N) but the electronic signage read (W).

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

What units have the 96th St reading? Most R68's I've been on all say 57th St/7th Av.

2772-2775, 2776-2779, 2832-2835, 2844-2847, 2856-2859, 2888-2891, 2896-2899, 2908-2911 for now, from Youtube. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Just wondering when did the <7> service stop running from 12:25pm-10:15 pm? You can see those hours on a torn service sign at the 5th Ave station.

<7> midday service stopped running sometime in 2009. If you use the Wayback Machine, you can see the midday express on the Spring 2009 timetable, but by the December 13, 2009 timetable, it was gone. They trimmed some more of the service hours since 2009.

The combined frequency though remained the same for the most part. 

10 hours ago, CenSin said:

I arrived at Coney Island on a Broadway local “(W)”. The R46 train was actually an (N) but the electronic signage read (W).

It's a serious problem. TA really rushed things with Queens Blvd CBTC instead of just waiting for the base order of the R211's to get here.