SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

A Train operator is not a good source, Things can change at any moment. Jamaica is losing about 40% of their R160's. Those have to go somewhere. CI could still keep the (B). It going to concourse is just a rumor. A train operator told me in 2008 that Jamaica was getting R38's even though they never got them back (Jamaica had R38's from 1966-1972 or later) .

I mean the change could be wrong. Unless if Jamaica wants to give concourse some R160's than that one them. They can take part of the R211A's or some sorts. 

If Concourse does become fully R211. Then the open gangway r211's coming to Jamaica will just transfer it's R160's to CIY.

If the gangway order comes in with the R211A heading to Concourse at the same process it can be a chance that a few R160's (Can be more due to CBTC services) can lead to the hands of concourse. we still don't know its future assign order to the yards.

I can see the R68 from concourse along with the R68A's that CIY can replace some 46s in their possession or with the R211/160's will completely replace them.

but we'll see how concourse will go along 

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, Jacob said:

Either way it's stated by a D train operator I've talked to that Concourse is going to be fully R211A's. No R160's were planned to be in touched with Concourse yard. Even they can send spare 90 cars more like you said. Taking R160s out of Jamaica for (B) service when it's supposed to be assigned fully R211 doesn't make any sense.

New techs on the (D)? I wish. The (D) having R211's would be cool, but Concourse takes good care of the R68's. I think the 68's should be kept there for now tbh. Besides, the (A) is going to be priority for the initial R211 order anyway. After that, we'll see how far along they are with CBTC installations.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, R32 3838 said:

Jamaica is losing about 40% of their R160's. Those have to go somewhere.

I would think that those R160's are going back to CI.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, R32 3838 said:

CI could still keep the (B). It going to concourse is just a rumor.

Concourse needs to rearrange how they store their trains before anyone even discusses moving the (B) over there.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:06 PM, paulrivera said:

New techs on the (D)? I wish. The (D) having R211's would be cool, but Concourse takes good care of the R68's. I think the 68's should be kept there for now tbh. Besides, the (A) is going to be priority for the initial R211 order anyway. After that, we'll see how far along they are with CBTC installations.

The (D) will be having New Tech. 6th Ave/CPW CBTC is planned once 8th Avenue gets their CBTC active. Along with  (B) trains. They might move out to CIY during early 2023.

Loving the N/Q/W lines right now, 100% SMEE, a lot more 68/68As on broadway since they aren't used on the (G) anymore.  Love those old SMEEs, it's cool outside so the only flaw the cars have from a passenger prospective, the crappy A/C, won't be an issue for the next few months.

Rode an R68A (N) up to Astoria as the sun was setting, good vibes.

4 hours ago, Jacob said:

The entire R211 order can wipe out the SMEE entirely. But its the MTA's choice if they want to do it in one go.

can't, You'll still have about 20% of the r68/ the whole r68A fleet leftover. They have to keep a good chunk of cars anyway for phase II 2nd ave service unless they do option III R211's to replace the remaining R68's and entire r68A fleet.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Loving the N/Q/W lines right now, 100% SMEE, a lot more 68/68As on broadway since they aren't used on the (G) anymore.  Love those old SMEEs, it's cool outside so the only flaw the cars have from a passenger prospective, the crappy A/C, won't be an issue for the next few months.

Rode an R68A (N) up to Astoria as the sun was setting, good vibes.

The R68A's run better than the R68's and R46's on the (N)(Q). I just wish they stop being stubborn and put the R46's on the (B) already, It would increase their reliability. The (N)(W) could still be mainly R46's, Just take em off the (Q) and replace them with more R68's.

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

They should just order enough cars to outright replace all non-NTT cars in one go.

I would Agree but I doubt it, They'll just do a new order. CI will be nothing but R68's unless they don't move the (B) then it'll be R68/R160's with the (B) being 100% R160.

10 hours ago, Jacob said:

I mean the change could be wrong. Unless if Jamaica wants to give concourse some R160's than that one them. They can take part of the R211A's or some sorts. 

If Concourse does become fully R211. Then the open gangway r211's coming to Jamaica will just transfer it's R160's to CIY.

If the gangway order comes in with the R211A heading to Concourse at the same process it can be a chance that a few R160's (Can be more due to CBTC services) can lead to the hands of concourse. we still don't know its future assign order to the yards.

I can see the R68 from concourse along with the R68A's that CIY can replace some 46s in their possession or with the R211/160's will completely replace them.

but we'll see how concourse will go along 

It depends, (MTA) Isn't going to want a brand new subway car on a part time line. They could make concourse a mixture of R160B (Siemens) and R211A or R211T's (which i wouldn't mind).

These cars would benefit the (E)  (F) because they are the busiest lettered lines in the system.

But Option Order II could be all concourse (except the 32 cars for ENY) or they can get most of option Order I while Jamaica get Option order II (which i see happening) 207th could get the first 140+of  R211 option order cars to kill off the remaining R46's that would be on the (C) to make it completely full length tech trains this would also move the 130 full length R179's to 207th. Then most of the cars to concourse which would be 400 cars which is enough to for full (D) service plus 5 additional sets in total of 40 sets. This would push out the R68's to kill off their R46's. The last 100 cars plus 405 option II could be Jamaica.

Edited by R32 3838

18 hours ago, paulrivera said:

New techs on the (D)? I wish. The (D) having R211's would be cool, but Concourse takes good care of the R68's. I think the 68's should be kept there for now tbh. Besides, the (A) is going to be priority for the initial R211 order anyway. After that, we'll see how far along they are with CBTC installations.

I would think that those R160's are going back to CI.

Concourse needs to rearrange how they store their trains before anyone even discusses moving the (B) over there.

I can agree, but they use about 8-11 tracks to store (B)'s, but they had the R32s in one specific area, but they moved some of them to the southeastern side, when some is on the southwestern side. Then they use about 6 tracks to store the (4) trains for the weekend. Though there is a sign on the barn saying "Home of the (B)(D)," yet there hasn't been a single (B) in the  shop yet, so when there is one, then it is safe to say that the (B) has officially moved to Concourse.

2 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

I wonder how different the subway would be today if the Ashland Place connection was built instead of the Chrystie St connection every single day.

Maybe they might have at least left the Fulton Street elevated in operation from Franklin Avenue to the Ashland Place connection? And the Franklin Avenue shuttle line would be upgraded to accommodate 10-car trains? And we would have a longer stretch of segregation between the Brighton express and local trains. The unfortunate thing is that there would be only 2 routing choices:

1. Merge the Fulton and Brighton trains north of Atlantic Avenue and recreate the same bottleneck at Parkside Avenue; or
  2. Send Brighton express trains local via the tunnel and Brighton local trains express over the bridge for the sake of avoiding a one-station bottleneck.

Neither would make sense from a passenger perspective.

Edited by CenSin

Wow, THREE trips on SIR cancelled during the PM Rush due to trains with mechanical problems.

Anyway, first time I see them post something like this for any MTA railroad on their various twitter pages. I've been lurking the twitter pages when R142s crap out at Flatbush terminal messing things up but they never post the specific run or runs that got canceled. With the MTA commuter railroads I've seen plenty DELAYED leaving a terminal due to an mechanical problem but never an outright cancelation. Then again the MTA commuter railroads barely have any "old" cars. Not complaining just an observation. 

Edited by trainfan22

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Wow, THREE trips on SIR cancelled during the PM Rush due to trains with mechanical problems.

Anyway, first time I see them post something like this for any MTA railroad on their various twitter pages. I've been lurking the twitter pages when R142s crap out at Flatbush terminal messing things up but they never post the specific run or runs that got canceled. With the MTA commuter railroads I've seen plenty DELAYED leaving a terminal due to an mechanical problem but never an outright cancelation. Then again the MTA commuter railroads barely have any "old" cars. Not complaining just an observation. 

This shows how completely shot those R44's are. No amount of SMS will make them work. Can't wait for the R211S to put them out of their misery. 

Ever since the 42nd St Shuttle was expanded to 6-cars each 2 trains, the crowding wasn't as heavy like all seats and standing areas full in 3 or 4 cars during the rush. It also gave extra room to passengers on-board, for example, getting on the Shuttle around 5 PM to Times Square, some seats were occupied but standing room gave a 6-feet apart rule to others. The headways 7-days a week falls to the  number 5. 

There's also an blue elevator icon at Grand Central. There maybe one by the former track 3, could be another guess at that. 

Edited by Calvin

On 11/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, Lawrence St said:

It doesn't HAVE to, but (MTA) being MTA...

I think it’s because of the 49 St ridership (pre-pandemic). It would be more ideal to have the (N) continue express to 57 St-7 Av and then cross over, but there are issues:

1. the 34 St crossover has a speed restriction of 13 mph (although some (N)s have crossed over almost approaching 20mph - this was with the R160s though, not sure now since they have left)

2. At 34 St, yes the (N) gets a cross platform transfer to the  (R) and (W) but the scheduling delays all four routes when the dispatcher at Times Square decides which train to proceed first. If it’s the local, then the (N) has to wait and the  (Q) train behind gets held at 28 St (Express track). If the express goes first, the locals get held at 34 St and in the tunnel between 34 St and 28 St.

3. at 57 St-7 Av, the signal composition now prohibits express trains bound for Queens to be at the station at the same time as the local. Meaning if the (N) is at 57 St on the express track and is ready to cross over to Queens, the local train cannot enter 57 St-7 Av. This was the case when the (Q) was still going to Astoria and there were select  (N) / (Q) trains terminating in manhattan during rush hours. The first pair of (N) / (Q) trains would move from 57 St-7 Av after discharging their passengers. The (Q) would turn and go towards Coney Island (in-service) and the  (N) would cross over to the local track to run to Astoria not-in-service and park on the Astoria Express track right outside Astoria Blvd until the train was needed in case of a major delay. During the crossing over, if there was a train about to enter the station, it had to sit outside until the (N) finished crossing over AND the switches were realigned. A timer signal was installed northbound at 57 St for this very issue. Long story short, no cross-platform interchange at 57 St

4. The described issues apply to downtown trains as well, and of course the (N) would come in on the local track at 57 St, then have to cross over once having made the stop, preserving the (N)(Q) cross platform change. 

i have used 49th st pre pandemic and post pandemic for years and i'll say the (N) doesn't need to stop there.

BTW be safe riding the subway, yesterday someone got fatally stabbed at 34th Penn station on (2) train. Saw the aftermath of the whole thing, Suspect is still on the loose.

21 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

i have used 49th st pre pandemic and post pandemic for years and i'll say the (N) doesn't need to stop there.

BTW be safe riding the subway, yesterday someone got fatally stabbed at 34th Penn station on (2) train. Saw the aftermath of the whole thing, Suspect is still on the loose.

:blink::blink: Sheesh