SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

A lot of the Gun Hilling has to do with congestion around Nereid. Discharging (5)s on the mainline can get nasty, especially if the railroad is already running behind or bunched. It's a tradeoff, but putting those (5)s up the middle and discharging at Gun Hill does prevent delays for riders later on -- whether they be people on northbound (2)s who'd get bogged down waiting for the (5) to clear, or people waiting for a southbound (2) late out of the terminal because it got delayed by discharging (5)s. 

If there’s a (5) to Nereid pulling into E180 on the express track alongside a (2) pulling in at the same time on the local track, that (5) is going to stay on the middle track and go express to Gun Hill 99% of the time.

The (5) literally can not be held at E180 because you’ll have a bottleneck on the express track (the (5)‘s combined service to Nereid and Dyre are more frequent than the (2) iinm) BUT it also can’t go on the local track in front of a (2) because (to your point) then Wakefield bound trains will bottleneck from 233rd on down as those 5 trains are discharging and laying up.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

If there’s a (5) to Nereid pulling into E180 on the express track alongside a (2) pulling in at the same time on the local track, that (5) is going to stay on the middle track and go express to Gun Hill 99% of the time.

The (5) literally can not be held at E180 because you’ll have a bottleneck on the express track (the (5)‘s combined service to Nereid and Dyre are more frequent than the (2) iinm) BUT it also can’t go on the local track in front of a (2) because (to your point) then Wakefield bound trains will bottleneck from 233rd on down as those 5 trains are discharging and laying up.

Is there even a need/requirement to have (5) 's continue all the way to Neried? I dont ride WPR north of 180th St so sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

But having all these (5) 's all over the place just makes the (2) ridiculously late for no reason. You got express Dyre (5) trains crossing in front of (2) trains, you got express Neried (5) trains crossing in front of Dyre Av (5) trains, its a mess!!

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I gotta question about them shuttle buses..do they run all night, or do they start at 5AM, or..is there something I'm missing?

Are you talking about the overnight buses that are meant to replace the subways? Specifically, the M99, B99 and Bx99? They're only running at night between the hours of 1AM-5AM.

Edited by danielhg121
added a period

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Are you talking about the overnight buses that are meant to replace the subways? Specifically, the M99, B99 and Bx99? They're only running at night between the hours of 1AM-5AM.

I'm pretty sure the question was about the bog-standard bustitution practice (a certain section of the subway is closed for work and depots from all over NYC pitch in to transport passengers to/from areas near the affected stations).

9 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Nah, legitimate shuttle buses, like the (L)shuttle bus, or like this weekend, with the (1)shuttle bus.

4 hours ago, NBTA said:

Nah, legitimate shuttle buses, like the (L)shuttle bus, or like this weekend, with the (1)shuttle bus.

I think whenever there is work being done that requires a portion of the subway to be closed off completely, they'll provide shuttle buses. It's usually stated on the MTA website and I'm pretty sure they run throughout the night if the work is throughout the full weekend (including nights) and not just during midday hours. 

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm sure this was mentioned before, but whatever happened to the new subway cars on the (Q) line? I have used it twice in the last few weeks, and only see the really old, decrepit cars. Which line were they sent to and why? 

Almost all of the 15-year old younger cars (R160s) have been displaced from the (N) / (W) and (Q) to the (R) for CBTC work on the Queens Boulevard Line. In exchange, the 45-year old cars (R46s) that were previously used on the (R) are now on the (N) / (W) and (Q). You’ll also see some R68s (same trains that run on the (B), (D), and (G)) on those three Broadway lines as well.

There are still a few leftover R160s on the (N) / (W) though.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm sure this was mentioned before, but whatever happened to the new subway cars on the (Q) line? I have used it twice in the last few weeks, and only see the really old, decrepit cars. Which line were they sent to and why? 

The R160s went to Jamaica for CBTC. Only some sets remained, and those were swapped out with slightly newer R160s.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Almost all of the 15-year old younger cars (R160s) have been displaced from the (N) / (W) and (Q) to the (R) for CBTC work on the Queens Boulevard Line. In exchange, the 45-year old cars (R46s) that were previously used on the (R) are now on the (N) / (W) and (Q). You’ll also see some R68s (same trains that run on the (B), (D), and (G)) on those three Broadway lines as well.

There are still a few leftover R160s on the (N) / (W) though.

35 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

The R160s went to Jamaica for CBTC. Only some sets remained, and those were swapped out with slightly newer R160s.

They must've re-did the floor on them because they were so lumpy and worn out before. Felt like you were going to fall through the car. I keep forgetting that the (Q) lost the new cars when I have taken it. Not thrilled to take the old ones considering how long they had the ones with the loud hizzing noise. The chiming bell on these cars are incredibly loud. Couldn't deal with that every day.

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They must've re-did the floor on them because they were so lumpy and worn out before. Felt like you were going to fall through the car. I keep forgetting that the (Q) lost the new cars when I have taken it. Not thrilled to take the old ones considering how long they had the ones with the loud hizzing noise. The chiming bell on these cars are incredibly loud. Couldn't deal with that every day.

Yeah. I’m not thrilled to see those 45-year old junks on the (N) / (W) and (Q) either. They’ll be gone sooner or later though...if the R211 option order cars get purchased...that is...

Right now, it’s only the R211 base order cars that are coming along. Unfortunately though, because of the pandemic, the first test train has been pushed to a later date. But let’s see how it goes.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah. I’m not thrilled to see those 45-year old junks on the (N) / (W) and (Q) either. They’ll be gone sooner or later though...if the R211 option order cars get purchased...that is...

Right now, it’s only the R211 base order cars that are coming along. Unfortunately though, because of the pandemic, the first test train has been pushed to a later date. But let’s see how it goes.

Ironically they seem OK on the (Q). Maybe fewer people riding, thus the doors aren't being held slowing things down.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

At this time, the new subway cars on the (Q) line may only happen during the weekday rush hour as trippers only from the (R) and (N) lines. 

But, for the (Q) trains new cars, they were moved to the (R) line and (F) b.c of the new signaling process at Queens Blvd so far. Later on, 53 St in Manhattan. 

--

The swap went like this: the amount of old trains (R46s) that were on the (F) were moved to the (N)(W) lines as the new techs did the exchange. This happened with the (R) as some sets were switched to the (N)(W) vice-versa. Which then lead to the (Q) switching with the (R) line. The leftover techs were left in amounts of 3-4 each on the (N)(W) and (Q) lines. However, they were placed on Astoria's (N)(W) lines in the end. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

At this time, the new subway cars on the (Q) line may only happen during the weekday rush hour as trippers only from the (R) and (N) lines. 

But, for the (Q) trains new cars, they were moved to the (R) line and (F) b.c of the new signaling process at Queens Blvd so far. Later on, 53 St in Manhattan. 

--

The swap went like this: the amount of old trains (R46s) that were on the (F) were moved to the (N)(W) lines as the new techs did the exchange. This happened with the (R) as some sets were switched to the (N)(W) vice-versa. Which then lead to the (Q) switching with the (R) line. The leftover techs were left in amounts of 3-4 each on the (N)(W) and (Q) lines. However, they were placed on Astoria's (N)(W) lines in the end. 

Just nuts and definitely sucks.

Every day I learn a new detail about the original R1-9 signs. The original readings must have been really out there, and nothing like what the museum cars/what lasted today.

Check this out (not my photo). The route GG reading says 'GG CROSSTOWN' instead of 'GG BKLYN QUEENS,' which I'd always thought was original; and the destination reading is exactly a service designation reading 'BROOKLYN CROSSTOWN.' This is sort of like the C/D readings which were initially 'CONCOURSE FORDHAM' in the destination box. These must have been spliced out very early on, and I'm not even sure if later cars in the order came with this. I have an R1-9 sign where the GG reading seems to be original vellum and reading BKLYN QUEENS, so maybe that shifted over the years. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by MHV9218

On 1/2/2021 at 1:36 AM, paulrivera said:

The Gun Hill express-detour used to happen to every <5> I took; going back at least 10 years.  The miracle was when any of these PM trips actually made it to 238th....

Fun express run, though- much faster than the <6> or <7>, actually.

Edited by R10 2952

34 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

It sucked for Queens Boulevard riders for years......

Understandable for the (F) since even after it got the R160s during the R160 phase-in, they still had to run R46s on it for reasons XYZ.

Edited by Jemorie

15 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Understandable for the (F) since even after it got the R160s during the R160 phase-in, they still had to run R46s on it for reasons XYZ.

there were nothing wrong with the R46's on the (F) when the line was 80-90% R160's, But when the r46's dominated the (F) it did suffer from dwell times. from June 2010 to mid 2011 the (F) was 100% R160, then they started popping up on the (F) again when they decided to run more R160's on the (R)

19 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I think it's b.c of the (G) being moved to Coney Island Yard. It's easier space at Jamaica Yard or easy deadhead from Church Av to C.I Yard. And, the introduction of the Second Av Subway is how more R46s showed up on the (F) line. 

Back in September 2019, on a Saturday, the (F) had 1 R46 while the rest are tech train R160s. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

there were nothing wrong with the R46's on the (F) when the line was 80-90% R160's, But when the r46's dominated the (F) it did suffer from dwell times. from June 2010 to mid 2011 the (F) was 100% R160, then they started popping up on the (F) again when they decided to run more R160's on the (R)

And let us not forget from August 2013 to September 2014 during the (R) train tunnel reconstruction. The (R) was all R160s and the (F) had 35 R46s + 10 R160s, and the (F) ran fine.