SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Is there anyone whose ever liked DeBlasio?

I got here as Mikey was leaving, but it seems like on Day 2 everyone realized DeBlasio was the kinda guy that disappoints God and the Devil no matter what he does.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

And everyone is still wondering where that money for ThriveNYC went to.

The biggest issue I've had with deBlasio is his massive hypocrisy.  Here's a guy who talked about Vision Zero but had his drivers blow through red lights at 50 mph, affordable housing yet pushes rezonings for the benefit of wealthy developers, police reform while allowing the status quo in the NYPD to continue largely unaltered... the list goes on.  Most of his talk has turned out to be cheap worthless bullshit. 

More generally, NYC hasn't had a decent mayor since Robert Wagner left office in 1965, but I digress...

Edited by R10 2952

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

de Blasio has been doing an awful job this second term. I'm quite disappointed in him. But it seems a little disingenuous to blame him specifically for the conduct of people within the state-run subway, no? 

Are you kidding me? Who runs the City? It sure as hell isn't the State. What a cop out. I often times wish Cuomo was the Mayor instead of de Blasio. He is far more competent, and would move to clean up this City, which is overrun with trash (City is FILTHY). Homeless everywhere, smoking on the platforms and on the trains, and de Blasio has a total hands off policy when it comes to having the NYPD enforce the laws on the books. Don't blame Cuomo for de Blasio's poor leadership. He's a disgrace, and Cuomo should move to remove him from office. The cops should be riding the subways (as de Blasio said they would) and enforcing the laws on the books and removing those that are acting accordingly, but then again, they would be back out on the streets in mere hours, given the changes to a number of laws that have allowed the transit system and the City to favor the criminals.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Deucey said:

Is there anyone whose ever liked DeBlasio?

I got here as Mikey was leaving, but it seems like on Day 2 everyone realized DeBlasio was the kinda guy that disappoints God and the Devil no matter what he does.

I have to sometimes work on projects involving the City, and I keep my mouth shut since I'm there to manage the people working for me and serve the clients paying for services we provide, but every now and then, someone who I presume is a Democrat is at one of these meetings is b******g and moaning about how horrendous de Blasio is and how poorly he's running things. I just sit there and remain quiet, but laugh to myself inside. If you're wondering who voted for him and why everyone says they didn't, it's because we had one of the lowest turnouts last election for the mayor. He received the majority of the votes, but a sizable portion of residents did NOT vote at all. I can honestly say I did not vote for him, but we definitely need a mayor to come in (Democrat or Republican - I'd vote for either, as long as they are competent) and clean up this City. Looking like the 70s and 80s again. Even more funny, I've heard a lot of his staff can't stand him either.

7 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The biggest issue I've had with deBlasio is his massive hypocrisy.  Here's a guy who talked about Vision Zero but had his drivers blow through red lights at 50 mph, affordable housing yet pushes rezonings for the benefit of wealthy developers, police reform while allowing the status quo in the NYPD to continue largely unaltered... the list goes on.  Most of his talk has turned out to be cheap worthless bullshit. 

More generally, NYC hasn't had a decent mayor since Robert Wagner left office in 1965, but I digress...

de Blasio can't see anything through. One crisis after another. Look what he is doing on the transit from. He promises more bus lanes, faster speeds, yada yada yada. Now the DOT is backtracking on a number of projects and he in no way promotes the use of mass transit, as he takes a gas guzzling car everywhere.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are you kidding me? Who runs the City? It sure as hell isn't the State. What a cop out. I often times wish Cuomo was the Mayor instead of de Blasio. He is far more competent, and would move to clean up this City, which is overrun with trash (City is FILTHY). Homeless everywhere, smoking on the platforms and on the trains, and de Blasio has a total hands off policy when it comes to having the NYPD enforce the laws on the books. Don't blame Cuomo for de Blasio's poor leadership. He's a disgrace, and Cuomo should move to remove him from office. The cops should be riding the subways (as de Blasio said they would) and enforcing the laws on the books and removing those that are acting accordingly, but then again, they would be back out on the streets in mere hours, given the changes to a number of laws that have allowed the transit system and the City to favor the criminals.

If you are going to be the transit advocate that you claim to be, it's important that you recognize the distinction that the State has complete control over the subways and the behavior of the people inside of the subways. It's been this way since 1968, and Cuomo likes to distract people from this fact, but it's simply the reality of the situation. 

There is no evidence that the bail reform laws have had anything to do with the rise in crime, but that's a separate conversation.

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

If you are going to be the transit advocate that you claim to be, it's important that you recognize the distinction that the State has complete control over the subways and the behavior of the people inside of the subways. It's been this way since 1968, and Cuomo likes to distract people from this fact, but it's simply the reality of the situation. 

There is no evidence that the bail reform laws have had anything to do with the rise in crime, but that's a separate conversation.

You are correct about the State. HOWEVER, de Blasio promised he would agree to send NYPD cops to ride the subways, a practice that has been going on for MANY years (both plain clothes and uniform officers), so spare me with trying to act is if the City has never had any hand in curbing crime on the subways. There are a number of examples of this over many years. When Cuomo demanded that the homeless be removed from the subway, de Blasio agreed to have cops ride the system along with more outreach folks. Just one of many examples.

There's also no evidence that bail reform hasn't had anything to do with the rise in crime. Let me guess... You blame COVID like de Blasio has? LOL Face it, your buddy is incompetent and should have never been voted in to run this City. We've had competent mayors with Giuliani and Bloomberg, but not de Blasio. The only good news is he is done soon and is term-limited. I can only hope that we have someone competent take over (Democrat or Republican).

All of these repeat offenders being released over and over riding the transit system, and bail reform had nothing to do with that. LOL

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

21 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Get your R160 (A) shots. This may be the final week. Four and counting lemons have returned to the (A)

Not so fast, some R160’s are staying a bit. The 8-car R179’s haven’t returned to (C) service so at this time more R46’s are expected to sit in the barn for much needed inspections and improvements. 

TA must have cut back on their cleaning budget cause so many cars in the fleet are dirty on the outside. I know every yard doesn't have a car wash, sometimes I wish they would wash the outside of the train with a hose whenever they go to the maintenance shop for inspection... but they probably don't do that for safety reasons. 

Seen an R179 (A) today covered in bird poop on the outside and was just dirty looking SMH. Most of the ENY R160s look like crap too. 

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Not so fast, some R160’s are staying a bit. The 8-car R179’s haven’t returned to (C) service so at this time more R46’s are expected to sit in the barn for much needed inspections and improvements. 

C.I. yard R46's REALLY need some inspections. Based on what I've seen on the (N)(Q)(W) some of them just look beat up..... flat wheels that need truing, tape coming off on the side roof end bonnets and dirty route signs.

Just like to add, so far this weekend has been an interesting one to railfan. (N) trains to Brighton Beach, (4) using some spared R62A's. R179's slowly coming back into action.

14 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

C.I. yard R46's REALLY need some inspections. Based on what I've seen on the (N)(Q)(W) some of them just look beat up..... flat wheels that need truing, tape coming off on the side roof end bonnets and dirty route signs.

Just like to add, so far this weekend has been an interesting one to railfan. (N) trains to Brighton Beach, (4) using some spared R62A's. R179's slowly coming back into action.

Lately, there are problems with the LCD signs on the R46s as to some of the cars out of the 4 not displaying the correct route and frozen displays. I think the (F)(R) didn't have that problem back then but it was the tape on the roof. 

I may think it's the cars being used a lot vs mainly one route on QBL that runs short distance late nights, the (R)  with a few on the (F) . 

On the other side, the ex.CI R160s are starting to have loud screeching brakes before arriving/leaving in the station. One of the cars have the ad panels falling off but fixed at the last stop. 

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

TA must have cut back on their cleaning budget cause so many cars in the fleet are dirty on the outside. I know every yard doesn't have a car wash, sometimes I wish they would wash the outside of the train with a hose whenever they go to the maintenance shop for inspection... but they probably don't do that for safety reasons. 

Seen an R179 (A) today covered in bird poop on the outside and was just dirty looking SMH. Most of the ENY R160s look like crap too. 

240th Yard hasn't had a cleaning service since 1995. That's how dirty the 62As on the (1) look on the outside.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

Lately, there are problems with the LCD signs on the R46s as to some of the cars out of the 4 not displaying the correct route and frozen displays. I think the (F)(R) didn't have that problem back then but it was the tape on the roof. 

I may think it's the cars being used a lot vs mainly one route on QBL that runs short distance late nights, the (R)  with a few on the (F) . 

On the other side, the ex.CI R160s are starting to have loud screeching brakes before arriving/leaving in the station. One of the cars have the ad panels falling off but fixed at the last stop. 

Jamaica has too many cars to maintain, hence the negligence of their maintenance of the R46s. There was a plan to double the size of the yard but even then, Coney Island Yard has a lot of space but is only responsible for maintenance of about 850 cars, while Jamaica has 1200 R160s (10-car units) and some storage space is taken up by the ENY R160s for the (M).

also, when Coney Island had their R160s, they had the lowest MDBFs among all the R160s, even though they were the cleanest at one point, probably from having to run the same frequency of service all seven days of the week for the (N) and (Q) 

Edited by darkstar8983

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

It looks like C.I is the only barn that care of all the fleets. 

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

The R46 use outdated technology for their side signs, they're always prone on getting stuck, just like when they were on the (R).

Jamiaca seriously has a bad maintenence track record when it comes to cars, I remember I was on an R160 on (E) and the brakes were SCREAMING everytime.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The filthy exteriors on the (1) cars are a fairly recent thing tho... I started noticing like last year that the R62As on the (1) weren't being washed.

How recent? Because I remember those R62A’s end bonnets being BLACKENED since 2013

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Looks like trains can be hosed down in the shop like is seen in the photo below...

Why doesn't every yard do this?

a-transit-employee-cleans-the-bonnet-of-

Personally, I look at Jamaica specifically. Every time I took an (F) train from Coney Island, I always see it dirty. There was never a time that I can say, "Oh, the (F) looks clean today. Good job, Jamaica." I'm not exaggerating in the slightest either. There was 1 time when I did see it clean, but that was because it was around the time the Coney Island and Jamaica Yard Fleet Swap was happening and I saw the (E) and (F) clean for the first time which was the R160B Siemens that were clean.