SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I've been coming across a lot of Jamaica R160s with defects lately.. 

One set on the (A) with stuck FIND

One set on the (A) where the AAS was out of sync and announcing stops way too early, for example the announcement for Broadway Junction playing when the train is just outside of Rockaway Ave, C/R had to make manual announcements at every stop.

Set with dead motors on the (E), screeching brakes due to the dead motor and you could smell the brake pads burning when the train stopped.

Set with door problems on the (E) , all the doors were closed on the train except for one door in the middle of the car in the rear of the train.

Yes, I know the latter two problems happens on every car class in the system. But it's crazy to come across so many defects on the best the B div has to offer (In terms of MDBF) in a short period of time. 

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/29/2020 at 11:56 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

What's your view on sending the (G) down to Kings Highway and terminating on the middle there?

Probably makes sense during rush hour but I can't see that being used a lot during other times...

Edited by Yankees4life

On 8/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, shiznit1987 said:

I hope the glass breaking trend on the (7) dies down soon and/or doesn't spread. 

I don't even wanna ask....

20 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Probably makes sense during rush hour but I can't see that being used a lot during other times...

From a usage perspective, maybe.... From an operational perspective however, I'd want no part of it.... It's enough that it runs down to Church.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't even wanna ask....

Unfortunately, we are being answered:

https://abc7ny.com/man-suspected-of-vandalizing-63-subway-cars-breaking-200-windows/6356473/

You'd think after the glass breaking fad of the mid 1980s the TA would have switched to plastic or plexi. Is there any reason why subway cars don't use plastic for their windows? 

3 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Unfortunately, we are being answered:

https://abc7ny.com/man-suspected-of-vandalizing-63-subway-cars-breaking-200-windows/6356473/

You'd think after the glass breaking fad of the mid 1980s the TA would have switched to plastic or plexi. Is there any reason why subway cars don't use plastic for their windows? 

Plastic is ruined if paint/graffiti gets on it, plexi is pegged to gas prices and can be expensive, both are easy candidates for scratchiti, neither are quite the visual quality of glass, etc. The guy's a moron, but they'll get him, and that'll be that. Not an epidemic. The only thing that did change from the 80s was the end of rubber gaskets, which the TA believed made it easier to knock out windows.

14 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Plastic is ruined if paint/graffiti gets on it, plexi is pegged to gas prices and can be expensive, both are easy candidates for scratchiti, neither are quite the visual quality of glass, etc. The guy's a moron, but they'll get him, and that'll be that. Not an epidemic. The only thing that did change from the 80s was the end of rubber gaskets, which the TA believed made it easier to knock out windows.

You inadvertently answered a thought I had: Why did cars up until the 1980s have rubber trim on their door windows but post GOH have bolted frames. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

You inadvertently answered a thought I had: Why did cars up until the 1980s have rubber trim on their door windows but post GOH have bolted frames. Thank you. 

Rubber also dries out and makes it easier for water to infiltrate.

15 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Back in the 80s the glass  and the rubber gaskets were in high demand in some quarters. To put it simply the process was this.  Buy a used van from the telephone company or another commercial enterprise.  They were quite cheap back then. Problem arose when the person tried to get insurance. Commercial type vehicles paid higher rates than passenger vehicles.  Solution was to take two door panel glasses from the end of the train cars along with the rubber gaskets. Cut 2 openings , 1 on each side,  of your used commercial van, install the glass and rubber gaskets,  and you now have a passenger vehicle which can be insured at a lower cost. I'd never thought of that until I was a C/R on the (3) one day when some people told me about a car on my train with missing glass.  I investigated and ended up isolating that car. Imagine a 9 car train with 2 air conditioned cars in the whole consist and 1 of them had to be isolated. Now imagine the anger directed at me instead of the people who caused the isolation in the first place. I think that I've mentioned before about people stripping out the glass and rubber gaskets from scrapped cars adjacent to New Lots station on the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch. I thought of those people as thieves but some folks thought of them as "enterprising " individuals. I'm guessing that the insurance companies are smarter these days.  My memories.  Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Says a lot about society when the dude recording knows it's gonna happen and ends up recording instead of warning the guy...

I get the distinct impression that the person filming may have deliberately unfastened the panel to have it swing open like that; reminds me of the idiot foamers who used to run around the B Division messing up the rollsigns with hex keys back in the the mid-2000s.

Edited by R10 2952

The 42nd St Shuttle will resume service on Monday, August 10th. Maybe to help out the upcoming work on the Lex Av line for this month. However, they stated that the project is still on the works. 

Edited by Calvin

I was on the (4) train earlier today, and it seems as though some sets, including the one I entered numbered 1121 to 1170, have the Franklin Medgar Evers program modification. I think this is the case because Dianne Thompson from the (2) train replaced Ettinger Gottesman when it came to announcing "The Next Stop is" and the "This is" portion of the program. The rest seem to still have Ettinger Gottesman doing these, as they still have the original 2005 Franklin program as of 2014. The last time the program was modified in 2014, it never had Dianne Thompson do this on the (4) train. But I determined that they should have used Velina Mitchell to do the announcements or the other Thompson (Kathleen Campion from the (F) train) to do these announcements if they really wanted to take Ettinger Gottesman off completely from Lexington.

2 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I was on the (4) train earlier today, and it seems as though some sets, including the one I entered numbered 1121 to 1170, have the Franklin Medgar Evers program modification. I think this is the case because Dianne Thompson from the (2) train replaced Ettinger Gottesman when it came to announcing "The Next Stop is" and the "This is" portion of the program. The rest seem to still have Ettinger Gottesman doing these, as they still have the original 2005 Franklin program as of 2014. The last time the program was modified in 2014, it never had Dianne Thompson do this on the (4) train. But I determined that they should have used Velina Mitchell to do the announcements or the other Thompson (Kathleen Campion from the (F) train) to do these announcements if they really wanted to take Ettinger Gottesman off completely from Lexington.

Its not on purpose, when they did the program update for Franklin Av they accidentally messed up the Next Stop and arrival announcements so that it now references the (2) announcements.

All this talk about an incorrect flag reminds me of one particular day on the (4).

Simply put, the transfer announcement called at Fulton Street was an old Times Square transfer announcement, indicated by the (9) being mentioned (if I remember correctly, it was the one Dianne did).

They really are running those 32s. I saw two sets of them on the (J) today, and that was just from briefly walking by the elevated – maybe there were more. Totally unnecessary to tun on the weekend when ENY barn has the extra 160s from the 4-car (M)/no (Z), but I guess they're just treating them like regular stock. 

56 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

They really are running those 32s. I saw two sets of them on the (J) today, and that was just from briefly walking by the elevated – maybe there were more. Totally unnecessary to tun on the weekend when ENY barn has the extra 160s from the 4-car (M)/no (Z), but I guess they're just treating them like regular stock. 

The R160s need a break too, and yes it means that the R32s will need to be treated as a regular stock.

weekends, the ENY R160s assigned to the (M) sometimes can be testing along the QB corridor along with the 10-car trains, so it’s not just that the trains are sitting in the yard resting, and the (L) frequency doesn’t not allow many of its cars to rest either.