SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I'd implement busways at all locations - if you zoom in you can see more detail.

Intermodal Centers in NYC requires the MTA to hire utility people and security to protect it from the homeless. It can be done though that requires the Mayor to enforce the law and build more homeless shelters.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

There’s a man standing and pacing on top of flushing train station 😔

I assume this is the Flushing Ave on the (J) and (M) lines? Woodhull is right next to that stop, maybe someone with mental illness got released from the hospital.

A couple months ago, I was eating at an restaurant near Woodhull and there was grown man in the restaurant crying like a baby and mumbling random things. I saw the tag on his arm seems like he recently got released from there. I still ordered my food and ate it in the restaurant despite that lol.

52 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I assume this is the Flushing Ave on the (J) and (M) lines? Woodhull is right next to that stop, maybe someone with mental illness got released from the hospital.

A couple months ago, I was eating at an restaurant near Woodhull and there was grown man in the restaurant crying like a baby and mumbling random things. I saw the tag on his arm seems like he recently got released from there. I still ordered my food and ate it in the restaurant despite that lol.

Yeah that area filled with loonitics...on top of the station...WTH...lol...How he even get up there...

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 5:41 AM, Union Tpke said:

Now the cat is out of the bag, I can share a bit. That was the initial plan for the April pick, and was initially set for last December. This is the deinterlining plan I have hinted at. I didn't think it was still going on.

I was surprised to see this too. I realize I’m a couple days late here, but with my three-year old constantly wanting to watch Disney cartoons on my phone, I don’t have quite as much time to be on here as I used to. But when I stumbled upon @BreeddekalbL’s post, I thought this could be what you were talking about back in December. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:51 PM, Lance said:

Why would the F return to 53rd Street? The whole point of the current service pattern is to give 53rd Street both local and express service to Queens. Besides, what's gained here anyhow? Those switches will still be in use regardless, just to a different endpoint. Currently, F trains go between 63rd Street <> Queens Blvd express using the switches near 36 Street. If the F and M were to switch, it'd be almost the exact same thing, with the exception of the M going to the local tracks instead of the express ones.

Also, what serves 63rd Street on the off-hours when the M doesn't run? Sure, the F can run up there in its place, but then you have that situation where trains are running to via different lines depending on the day of the week, which is something the MTA likes to avoid unless otherwise impossible (see current weekend M service).

We would be moving the (M) / (R)  merge from Queens Plaza to 36th St and getting rid of the (E) / (F) merge at 36th and the (E) / (M) merge at Queens Plaza - reducing three merges in that area down to one. I’m willing to give it a shot. For nights/weekends, the (F) would cover for the (M). It would be no different than the way they ran the (W) 24/7 from 2002-04 during Stillwell Ave reconstruction. The (W) ran via the Montague Tunnel weekends and overnights to cover for the (N), which was cut back to a Brooklyn-only shuttle at that time. Maybe they can run the (M) on weekends too if sending the (F) through 63rd is not something the MTA wants. But then they'd have four QB services on weekends (which is also something the MTA doesn't like to have).

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:08 PM, Collin said:

I think the appeal is partial de-interlining of QB.  The express trains would no longer have the 36th Street merge.  However, they tried that back in 2001 when testing service patterns to use with the then new 63rd Street Connector.

The first test was as follows:

(E)  Jamaica Center-QB EXP-53rd-8th LCL

(F)  179th-QB EXP-53rd-6th LCL

(G)  179th-QB LCL-Crosstown

(R)  71st-QB LCL-60th-Bway LCL

(V)  71st-QB LCL-63rd-6th LCL (signed as (orangeS))

That didn't work, so the next test was:

(E)  Jamaica Center-QB EXP-53rd-8th LCL

(F)  179th-QB EXP-63rd-6th LCL

(G)  Court Square-Crosstown

(R)  71st-QB LCL-60th-Bway LCL

(V)  71st-QB LCL-53rd-6th LCL

This became the actual service pattern.  

The dilemma was which service would get to stay on the more desirable 53rd Street corridor, and which one would be relegated to the less desirable 63rd Street corridor.  I think the decision was to send the (F) there so that local station customers could get a one seat ride to 53rd which would better balance out the loading between local and express.  The problem with this is it created multiple merges.  The new (V) service had to share track with the (R), then the (E), and finally the (F).  I think the benefit of having a local service go via 53rd might not be all that great.  The main benefit of 53rd as opposed to 63rd is that there's a transfer to Lexington.  The other local service, the (R) already provides access to Lex, and it's better because it goes to 59th which offers both local and express service as opposed to just local.

As for making the switch now, I'd say try it for some amount of time.  The partial de-interlining of the express services could allow for 33+ tph with CBTC that might not be possible otherwise.  If it works, make it permanent, and if it doesn't work, then switch back to the old service pattern.  It should be noted that the (F) will still have to run via 63rd late nights and weekends because of the (M) not running.

They were really hoping back in 2001 that riders would stay on the (V) (now (M) ) local for a less crowded and not that much slower ride to Midtown. It just didn’t work. And maybe without all the crazy merging in the area, the (R) can also run a bit more reliably as it would only have the one merge with the (M) at 36th Street. It won't be merging with any trains at Queens Plaza as it does now and in the past when the (G) ran there. Merging and train frequency have always been the (R)'s banes of its existence. This partially solves one of those banes. Train frequency is another story, but that will require better dispatching at 71st or an (R) route with even fewer merges. But this is a good start.

As for the (R), what I've always wondered is why it isn't a more popular service, given its direct transfer to both express and local at Lexington. I used it when I lived in Forest Hills from 2012-15. That is, whenever it came. If the (M) came to 67th Avenue first, I took it and transferred to the (6) either at Lex-53rd or Broadway-Lafayette. Getting a crush-loaded (R) was a rare occurrence. You would think with a direct transfer to the (4) and (5), the (R) would be much more popular.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:47 AM, shiznit1987 said:

*Starts jumping giddly*

Does this mean we could have the (G) back!? YAY!!

No, the first trial just proved that they couldn’t run the (G), (R) and (orangeS) (which became the (V) ) simultaneously on the local, especially with the (G) continuing past 71st. That would certainly hold true today. Putting the (G) back there would only preserve an (R) merge at Queens Plaza, which would be no better than the current merge with the (M).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Clarifying my response

8 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

We would be moving the (M) / (R)  merge from Queens Plaza to 36th St and getting rid of the (E) / (F) merge at 36th and the (E) / (M) merge at Queens Plaza - reducing three merges in that area down to one. I’m willing to give it a shot. For nights/weekends, the (F) would cover for the (M).

So I'm assuming under this plan the (F) would run fully local in Queens at this time?

57 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

No, the first trial just proved that they couldn’t run the (G), (R) and (orangeS) (which became the (V) ) simultaneously on the local, especially with the (G) continuing past 71st. That would certainly hold true today. Putting the (G) back there would only preserve an (R) merge at Queens Plaza, which would be no better than the current merge with the (M).

But when the (M) isn't running why can't the (G) return to QBL?

Just now, Lawrence St said:

But when the (M) isn't running why can't the (G) return to QBL?

Why bother? Much of no one's interested in the (G) over there, and to sour the deal, it hasn't even been dispatched from Jamaica in years. At most, make the (M)'s weekday route a 24-hour one, keep the (E) as an overnight local and the (F) as a 24-hour express (on its old route in this scenario), and call it a day.

They stopped doing that with the 2010 budget cuts.  I think it should be brought back because getting to the (G) from a local station when the (M) isn't running, and the (E) is running express requires taking the (R) to Roosevelt or Queens Plaza, transferring to the (E) and taking it to Court Square, and then transferring to the (G).  With the (M) going to 63rd, that double transfer scenario will still be in place.  That's why I initially suggested that the (G) should run on QB again.  

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Why bother? Much of no one's interested in the (G) over there, and to sour the deal, it hasn't even been dispatched from Jamaica in years. At most, make the (M)'s weekday route a 24-hour one, keep the (E) as an overnight local and the (F) as a 24-hour express (on its old route in this scenario), and call it a day.

Potentially in a more "permanent" pattern if the (W) was to be extended to Brooklyn (either Bay Ridge or somewhere along west end) the (R) would likely get the axe with weekday service with the (E) being fully local on weekends. In the (W) to Bay Ridge scenario it would replicate the (EE) or go along west end and in the (W) to west end weekend service between Whitehall St and Bay ridge with the (W) replacing the (R) during G.O.s. I feel the (W) to Bay Ridge is a more plausible plan.

Also do not mention the "Yard access" because you all act like because the (R) moved to Jamaica all services must have direct access to a yard. In a world where the MTA wants to cut as much as possible this is definitely possible. Wanna continue to make that argument look at the (G)

43 minutes ago, Collin said:

They stopped doing that with the 2010 budget cuts.  I think it should be brought back because getting to the (G) from a local station when the (M) isn't running, and the (E) is running express requires taking the (R) to Roosevelt or Queens Plaza, transferring to the (E) and taking it to Court Square, and then transferring to the (G).  With the (M) going to 63rd, that double transfer scenario will still be in place.  That's why I initially suggested that the (G) should run on QB again.  

That requires interest in order to not be a waste. The locals already struggle with that in Queens, but they, like the expresses, go to Manhattan. The (G) bypassing Manhattan makes it even less attractive than the old (V).

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Yeah , I was seeing it all , I live in that area 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Potentially in a more "permanent" pattern if the (W) was to be extended to Brooklyn (either Bay Ridge or somewhere along west end) the (R) would likely get the axe with weekday service with the (E) being fully local on weekends. In the (W) to Bay Ridge scenario it would replicate the (EE) or go along west end and in the (W) to west end weekend service between Whitehall St and Bay ridge with the (W) replacing the (R) during G.O.s. I feel the (W) to Bay Ridge is a more plausible plan.

Also do not mention the "Yard access" because you all act like because the (R) moved to Jamaica all services must have direct access to a yard. In a world where the MTA wants to cut as much as possible this is definitely possible. Wanna continue to make that argument look at the (G)

Sending any QB local train past Forest Hills is a non-starter and has been discussed ad nauseum before.  The (F) can easily switch between 63rd and 53rd when the (M) isn't running, just like how the (N) runs via Montague when the (R) isn't running.

Another thing I think might make the (R) more reliable is if it were cut back to Whitehall while the (W) took over Bay Ridge.  With a shorter route, there's less that can go wrong.  I could see this happening as part of a Broadway de-interlining plan that would send the (N) to 96th Street at all times.  The problem with that idea is I don't know how many trains Whitehall can reasonably turn, though some trains could just be extended to Bay Ridge or somewhere else in Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

M to 96th, E via 53rd, F via 63rd, G to Forest-Hills. Everybody wins!

Nah Nah Nah

The win-win here would be the following: 

• Reform the fumigating process at Forest Hills. Doing this would increase the terminal capacity up from 20 TPH. 
  • Queens Blvd CBTC (which seems to be on the horizon) 
  • Full time (M) Service via 63 rd. That’s 8 TPH right there, if anything, I’d argue that there’s a bit more space on 6th Avenue Local to add a few local (F)’s. These local (F) trains could run express along Culver and would follow the same route as normal (F) trains. 
  • (E)(F) via 53rd. Both 15 TPH each. 18 (E)’s, 12 (F)’s. On 63rd, it would be 8 (M)’s, 7 <F>‘s. 60th can continue with 6-10 (R)‘s. 
  • Extend local service during the peak hours so that commute times for passengers taking the bus to the (F) can be reduced. 
Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

36 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not the (Q) or the (F) in that case when you have the (M) merging onto both services.

The (F) and (M) will merge repeatedly under any plan, current or imagined, and I think the headways on the SAS are wide-enough to support merging efficiently. 

On 4/27/2020 at 9:19 PM, Collin said:

Other cities don't have the local/express divide to worry about.  All trains stop at every station.  For the bus routes, they need to be evaluated case by case.  I'm sure some routes get a lot of riders who are just transferring to the subway and that's it.  Other routes might get more of a mix of riders in terms of their final destination.  Not everyone is going to Manhattan.

One thing I'd like to see is more locations where buses can stop within subway fare control.  I think the only place it currently happens in NYC is Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway.  At Harvard Square stop in Boston, the buses actually go underground to stop within the station.  I'm not sure the cost or feasibility of doing something like that in Jamaica, Flushing, or any other large bus-subway hubs.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:09 AM, B35 via Church said:

In a barbie world, sure.... I mean while I'm generally for off-street bus terminals, I don't think it's worth subterraneously digging up earth for intermodal terminals here... Leave the excavating for the benefit of expanding the subway network.

There's at least one place where you could do it; Kew Gardens-Union Tpke could have subway access from the Union Turnpike part of the interchange.

While we can't do it now, it's definitely something worth exploring for a future subway extension. The TTC does this extensively in Toronto on newer extensions.