SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

True, but at least the suspect couldn’t escape.

But totally, I agree with your point.

Edited by Snorunts

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

And, in R68s, meaning you can't leave the car.

19 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Yes. One time I was on an (A) train when a fight broke out and someone pulled the emergency brakes..😣

16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes. One time I was on an (A) train when a fight broke out and someone pulled the emergency brakes..😣

Wow..Im staying off the lines with those R46/68/A if i can help it....When something like that goes off u basically in harms way until the train reach the next station which in some cases can be long enough for something serious to happen to passenger....

On 1/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, danielhg121 said:

The whole practice of skip-stop isn't even all that efficient since the same trackage is still shared. Those tight ass turns aren't helping matters either...

Skip stop works great in situations where station usage along the skip stop portion is fairly consistent between stops and service is frequent. The headways on the J/Z aren’t great enough to warrant it. Additionally, NYC’s labor market is becoming more fragmented and less centralized in Manhattan, so plenty of people on the J/Z aren’t heading to Manhattan anymore. The assumption that J/Z were going to Manhattan is what that express and skip stop service was designed for. It’s time to axe it.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How do you guys view this plan: 

Skip stop eliminated

(M), 10 tph, same as today

(J) , 7.5 tph, local between Marcy and Broadway Junction

(Z) , 7.5 tph, express between Marcy and Broadway Junction in the peak direction 

I love it and it sets up perfectly for future conversion of the Jamaica El past Crescent Street to three tracks at a later date.

IMO the end goal should be the (Z) becoming a <7> like service stopping at Marcy, Myrtle, Broadway Junction, Crescent Street, Woodhaven Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and Parsons-Archer

27 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I love it and it sets up perfectly for future conversion of the Jamaica El past Crescent Street to three tracks at a later date.

IMO the end goal should be the (Z) becoming a <7> like service stopping at Marcy, Myrtle, Broadway Junction, Crescent Street, Woodhaven Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and Parsons-Archer

Then it would just be a <J>. Either that, or they need to put some consistency back into the nomenclature by giving separate designations for the <6><7>(A) (the one to the other terminal), and <F>.

3 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Then it would just be a <J>. Either that, or they need to put some consistency back into the nomenclature by giving separate designations for the <6><7>(A) (the one to the other terminal), and <F>.

The (Z) is already entrenched as the part time (J) supplement so I see no reason to get rid of that designation just to introduce a diamond J.

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The (Z) is already entrenched as the part time (J) supplement so I see no reason to get rid of that designation just to introduce a diamond J.

Consistency is a pretty compelling reason, I'd say. The (A) is one of those that definitely requires it. But as the (J) and (Z) are still form a skip-stop pair like the (1) and (9) did, it is technically consistent… until it forms an express-local pair like the (7)<7>.

Edited by CenSin

On 1/11/2020 at 10:34 PM, jon2305 said:

Man.... It's amazing to think the R142s & R142As are very soon approaching there 20 years of service. I remember back in late 2000 when I first rode a downtown (2) train to 42nd Street, at the time on a brand-new Bombardier R142 (probably one of the very few that were running at that time) with that new car smell. Just a thought lol.

They still look new!

So no one minds how inconsistent the R160’s are and have become??  Some sets don’t have floor mats, some sets have yellow looped bars and some others have silver (standard) looped bars with no floor mats.  It’s like the R32 overhaul. MTA seems to start something and not finish or start something then modify it later down the road (to a different spec) Some 8-car units from East New York have those yellow floor mats with blue arrows. So much for uniformity. Hell, even some R46’s differ from each other in the matters of spec and ascetics.  

3 hours ago, VIP said:

So no one minds how inconsistent the R160’s are and have become??  Some sets don’t have floor mats, some sets have yellow looped bars and some others have silver (standard) looped bars with no floor mats.  It’s like the R32 overhaul. MTA seems to start something and not finish or start something then modify it later down the road (to a different spec) Some 8-car units from East New York have those yellow floor mats with blue arrows. So much for uniformity. Hell, even some R46’s differ from each other in the matters of spec and ascetics.  

I’ve said this months ago, but this is typical of the MTA and honestly it just looks very sloppy. They don’t finish any of the car treatment or rehab programs they do which is why we still have R160s roaming around that never got deep cleaned.

Look at Jamaica’s fleet for example, they changed the interior lights in some of the R46’s, gave them door mats and yellow poles, but a lot of their R160s never were touched. I think it is a yard thing though because the R160s at ENY have them, the only thing is those cars get tagged up all the time. 

Don’t forget the R62As. I’ve observed two sets on the (6), and they didn’t even finish installing the brighter lighting on the sets.

(2096 with, 2097-2100 w/out, observer 12/06/19)

(2151-2153 with, 2154-2155 w/out, observed 1/9/20)

240th (1) has done a better job from what I’ve seen. However, from both yards, some sets have yellow poles, while others have the regular stanchions.

I think as long as it has a looped stanchion, it's alright in my book. No need to chip the yellow paint for the sake of fleet uniformity. After all, the yellow ones kept getting chipped and vandalized anyways so... The exit mats were another failure too so they're just going to do LED lights and looped stanchion which serve a more practical purpose than exit mats.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Got one of those R46s with the LED lights borrowed from Jamaica on the (A) just now, much nicer ride than the regular R46s assigned to Pikin. Wish all R46 got the LED light upgrade.

Could be imagining this but that Jamaica set felt slightly faster than the Pikin 46s too.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case. Jamaica’s R46s get to rest at night and a lot of them aren’t used on the weekend as there are less trains required to make service on the weekend. 

On 1/12/2020 at 2:17 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yeah exactly the Fulton Street line can’t properly be used to its full capacity as a four track line because of the two track section between Canal Street and Hoyt-Schermerhorn streets

Wasn’t the original IND plan that the 8th Av Local end at WTC, Express goes to Bk, and the Bk local go between Euclid and Court St (or whatever the Transit Museum Station is called)?