SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intervale should have them forever since that station was rebuilt after a fire. 

--

Worth noting that the new enamel signs have finally begun to arrive for the ESI station rebuilds. Stations like 72nd, Prospect etc. all received cheap sheet metal entrance signs after reopening, probably because the sign shop can't fabricate porcelain enamel and had to contract out the work. Some stations even got adhesive vinyl signs, which looked awful. The new signs are arriving (57th Street, for one) and they look far better. Some have bizarrely huge bullets for the routes, but mainly it's just good to see permanent quality signs arriving. I haven't checked if the SAS stations have been replaced yet at platform level, but my guess is that will slowly be occurring. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Intervale should have them forever since that station was rebuilt after a fire. 

--

Worth noting that the new enamel signs have finally begun to arrive for the ESI station rebuilds. Stations like 72nd, Prospect etc. all received cheap sheet metal entrance signs after reopening, probably because the sign shop can't fabricate porcelain enamel and had to contract out the work. Some stations even got adhesive vinyl signs, which looked awful. The new signs are arriving (57th Street, for one) and they look far better. Some have bizarrely huge bullets for the routes, but mainly it's just good to see permanent quality signs arriving. I haven't checked if the SAS stations have been replaced yet at platform level, but my guess is that will slowly be occurring. 

Big like the older 80s signs?

Ef

Edited by Q23 via 108

I noticed that the last time they turned the (4) train at Burnside Avenue during a General Order, the crew was kept until Utica. Beginning with the (5) train to Burnside, they decided to change the crew at 149th Street instead of Burnside (where I would imagine they would have begun to do so). I'm not even sure why the crew cannot simply be changed at Burnside Avenue whenever that General Order is done. The same thing began with the (4) train this past weekend. I'm starting to wonder whether the crew was meant to go to 149th Street, because I'm not certain as to why the crew cannot simply be changed at Burnside.

8 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I noticed that the last time they turned the (4) train at Burnside Avenue during a General Order, the crew was kept until Utica. Beginning with the (5) train to Burnside, they decided to change the crew at 149th Street instead of Burnside (where I would imagine they would have begun to do so). I'm not even sure why the crew cannot simply be changed at Burnside Avenue whenever that General Order is done. The same thing began with the (4) train this past weekend. I'm starting to wonder whether the crew was meant to go to 149th Street, because I'm not certain as to why the crew cannot simply be changed at Burnside.

Burnside most likely doesn’t have crew rooms or facilities.

1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

I curse the day the old (4) line general manager made Burnside a terminal 10 years ago.

They couldn't keep the <4> after the general manager program got scrapped, yet they kept Burnside as a terminal for (4) service...

Is this because of the splits that happen whenever they do work north of there, or is this a more general gripe?

40 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I curse the day the old (4) line general manager made Burnside a terminal 10 years ago.

They couldn't keep the <4> after the general manager program got scrapped, yet they kept Burnside as a terminal for (4) service...

Isnt the reason for the (4) ending at Burnside so that they dont have to terminate at Bedford Park and cause delays for the trains behind it?

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Isnt the reason for the (4) ending at Burnside so that they dont have to terminate at Bedford Park and cause delays for the trains behind it?

Yea, but then they started using Burnside to cut service in half to accommodate track work. (OTOH there might be more (5) trains heading up that way now that 138 northbound is gonna closed for the winter. Those split section (5) trains can’t really turn at 149 during that time, so I guess we can take the good with the bad)

But still, M.O.W. railroad, I tell ya...

9 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Yea, but then they started using Burnside to cut service in half to accommodate track work. (OTOH there might be more (5) trains heading up that way now that 138 northbound is gonna closed for the winter. Those split section (5) trains can’t really turn at 149 during that time, so I guess we can take the good with the bad)

But still, M.O.W. railroad, I tell ya...

Personally, I feel like they should only shut down the entire Jerome Avenue Line (including 138th Street-Grand Concourse) every weekend for three months each year (instead of this constant half-ass closure they keep scheduling for any random weekend we get now). But ONLY during non-baseball season. Just to get maintenance or replacement out of the way.

Under this GO, either run the (4) between 3 Av-138 St and Utica Av (express day and evening, local overnight and early Sunday morning with the extension to/from New Lots Av) or run the (4) fully local between 3 Av-138 St and New Lots Av all weekend. In both scenarios, the (5) would have to be cut as usual between Bowling Green and E 180 and the entire Grand Concourse alone is not affected and used as a alternative including free shuttle buses running in two sections (1. Between Woodlawn and the Bedford Park (D) stop and 2. Between 161 St-Yankee Stadium (D) stop and 3 Am-138 St (4)(6) stop). In the latter scenario, the (3) would have to be cut back to TSQ or 14. 

The entire Grand Concourse Line should be shut down every weekend for three months each year as well during non-baseball season to just get whatever maintenance or replacement out of the way. Under this GO, the (D) is rerouted via the (A) all weekend to/from Dyckman St, relaying north of the station. The entire Jerome Avenue Line is not affected and used as an alternative including free shuttle buses running in two sections (1. Between 205 St (D) stop and the Mosholu Pkwy (4) stop and 2. Between the Yankee Stadium (4) stop and the 145 St (A)(C)(D) stop).

Neither GOs involve shutting down both Jerome and Concourse at the same time.

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong or just don’t agree with me in general.

There’s less merging involved with the (D) running express in Manhattan overnight ( (A) and (F) )

In theory it could run express overnight in Brooklyn also since the (R) runs to lower Manhattan now, but the GO’s constantly knock out the (R) past 36th Street so they’re better off leaving it alone, and DeKalb needs 6th Avenue service overnight (which is a big pain to do if the (D) runs express on 4th Avenue.)