SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

28 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Used the Juilus St - Livonia Av transfer today and my goodness the (L) train entrance is COVERED in bird poop, that entrance needs a good wash.

The overpass over the Bay Ridge branch makes an nice railfan spot, there's an abandoned locomotive visible from the overpass.

47122610074_c5756a603a_k.jpgUntitled by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The (B), (R), (W), (3), and (5), same thing. They end close to or around 11 p.m. daily as their full-time counterparts shift from their daytime service pattern to their overnight service pattern. Come November, these lines will end early than normal since they already keep ending them earlier than prior schedule. General orders also start much earlier than they used to or around 9:30 p.m.. Hence the upcoming November picks. The only exception is the (R) train, however.

There’s this goofy 20 minute gap in (4) service between 9:30 and 10pm thru Manhattan they need to fill on the new schedule ASAP. I think they horribly mistimed the last train out of Utica and the first train from New Lots, resulting in a gap big enough for the final two (5) trains of the night to show up before the first (4) from New Lots shows up in Midtown.

Someone audit the N̶o̶v̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶h̶e̶a̶r̶s̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶e̶d̶u̶l̶e̶ supplemental schedules for this week to double check this. I stumbled on this screwup tonight at Grand Central and wound up taking Metro-North instead to avoid that clusterf**k.

Edited by paulrivera
format change

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Shouldn't there be an (LL) train express down the (L) line? Also, which lines connect to the (3)?

That last question, you never had a paper subway map before? I used to love collecting those as a kid to look at all the routes & connections. Not to be rude but dude, you could just look at a subway map to answer your last question, it's also online on MTA.info.

2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Shouldn't there be an (LL) train express down the (L) line? Also, which lines connect to the (3)?

The (L) runs along a two-track line. There used to be express service along the local tracks, with service running express between Myrtle and Lorimer.

1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Random thought, but how would a skip-stop service work out on the BMT Canarsie Line to help the (L)?

No.

That artificially decreases service at skipped stations, and the (L) has sky-high ridership and high frequency.

2 hours ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Random thought, but how would a skip-stop service work out on the BMT Canarsie Line to help the (L)?

This was proposed in early 1991.

L (Canarsie Line)
Weekday
Peak Period Speed Improvements

Rapid Service

Operating Statistics;Total AM Peak Riders: 15,000

A. Description of Current Service:
The "L" operates as a local from Rockaway Parkway to 8th Avenue at all times. There are 24 stops and the peak travel time is 41 minutes from end

to end.
B. Description of Proposed Adjustment;

Two services, "L" and "K" would operate in skip-stop service during the peak 60 minutes. Both "L" and "K" trains would stop at key transfer and high volume stations, including: Rockaway Parkway, Eastern Parkway, Myrtle Av, Lorimer St, First Av, Union Sq., Sixth Av, and Eighth Av, "L"trains would stop at E 105 St, Livonia Av, Atlantic Av, Wilson Av, DeKalb Av, Morgan Av, Grand Av, and Bedford Av, "K" trains would stop at New Lots Av, Sutter Av, Bushwick Av, Halsey St, Jefferson St, Montrose Av, Graham Av and 3rd Av,

Service
Travel times will be reduced up to four minutes

http://www.laguardiawagnerarchive.lagcc.cuny.edu/FileBrowser.aspx?LinkToFile=FILES_DOC/QUEENS_FILES/03.012.0231.030147.2.PDF#undefined

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That last question, you never had a paper subway map before? I used to love collecting those as a kid to look at all the routes & connections. Not to be rude but dude, you could just look at a subway map to answer your last question, it's also online on MTA.info.

Sorry, meant the TRACK connections to the (L). Typo. My bad. I know the (1)(2)(4)(5)(A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(L)(J)(Z) all connect to the (3).

1 minute ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Sorry, meant the TRACK connections to the (L). Typo. My bad. I know the (1)(2)(4)(5)(A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(L)(J)(Z) all connect to the (3).

There is no direct track connection between the two, a train would have to go into Linden Yard (Or near it) and change ends to go on the (L) line from the (3) and only work trains can do this as Linden Yard leads don't have 3rd rail.

While were on this topic, crazy no railfan has footage of a train traveling from either the (3) or (L) lines into Linden Yard.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

There is no direct track connection between the two, a train would have to go into Linden Yard (Or near it) and change ends to go on the (L) line from the (3) and only work trains can do this as Linden Yard leads don't have 3rd rail.

While were on this topic, crazy no railfan has footage of a train traveling from either the (3) or (L) lines into Linden Yard.

With the (L), and for that matter the (7), are there any track connections to other lines? How were the R188s and R143s delivered?

2 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

With the (L), and for that matter the (7), are there any track connections to other lines? How were the R188s and R143s delivered?

The (L) has tracks that connects to the (J) line at Broadway Junction, the (7)  connects with the (N) at Queensboro Plaza.

R143s were delivered at 207th street yard from the Kawasaki plant in Yonkers. 188s IDK.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

The (L) has tracks that connects to the (J) line at Broadway Junction, the (7)  connects with the (N) at Queensboro Plaza.

R143s were delivered at 207th street yard from the Kawasaki plant in Yonkers. 188s IDK.

So there could be a train that somehow could be A and B divisions, running up the (N)(W), then down the (7)?

1 minute ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

So there could be a train that somehow could be A and B divisions, running up the (N)(W), then down the (7)?

It wouldn't be possible for a train to serve both divisions. An A Division train can run on a B Division line, but would leave a large gap between the train and the platform edge. A B Division train would not fit on an A Division tunnel. 

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Wasn't the (L) connection to the LIRR here?

The (L) connection was further south, in this picture it was past the overhead connection. This picture was taken of the area south of Livonia  (L) station and the Junius Street (3) station. The connection you're speaking of was just north of the (L) station at New Lots Avenue. The switch was set up so a transfer had to platform at the New Lots station, the gate opened, and the transfer would wrong rail down to the Bay Ridge Branch. I remember old BMT cars lined up down there waiting for the LIRR to pick them up and head over to the Brooklyn waterfront for scrapping .Hope my description helps. Carry on.

1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

It wouldn't be possible for a train to serve both divisions. An A Division train can run on a B Division line, but would leave a large gap between the train and the platform edge. A B Division train would not fit on an A Division tunnel. 

I mean, theoretically, if they had automatic wideners/shorteners on the train.

20 hours ago, paulrivera said:

There’s this goofy 20 minute gap in (4) service between 9:30 and 10pm thru Manhattan they need to fill on the new schedule ASAP. I think they horribly mistimed the last train out of Utica and the first train from New Lots, resulting in a gap big enough for the final two (5) trains of the night to show up before the first (4) from New Lots shows up in Midtown.

Someone audit the N̶o̶v̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶h̶e̶a̶r̶s̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶e̶d̶u̶l̶e̶ supplemental schedules for this week to double check this. I stumbled on this screwup tonight at Grand Central and wound up taking Metro-North instead to avoid that clusterf**k.

It happened again

unknown.png

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

It happened again

unknown.png

Did you check to make sure nothing popped up in the gap? (I only ask because I want to make sure this isn't one of those cases where a train hasn't started just yet but exists in the schedule.)

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Did you check to make sure nothing popped up in the gap? (I only ask because I want to make sure this isn't one of those cases where a train hasn't started just yet but exists in the schedule.)

I'll try to dig deeper tomorrow. I'm thinking the gap happens between the last (4) from Utica (express in Brooklyn) and the first (4) from New Lots (local in Brooklyn). If that's the case, the gap would be 10 minutes (normal service) at Utica with the gap between the two growing until the second train passes Nevins Street (5 minutes lost making local stops and a 5 minute delay for crowding on top of that is very plausible.)