SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s a great map. I do see that there are some big bottlenecks on the 60th Street Tunnel, so going by that map, I’m going to guess that making the 60th Street Tunnel connection to the Queens Blvd Line has now become a mistake that never should’ve happened.

It was a fix for its time when the 63 St tunnel didn't exist and the City was rapidly losing population anyways.

The real problem is that the 63 St tunnel connects with QBL west of Queens Plaza. It's the only thing IMO that makes deinterlining QBL with the current setup undesirable (in addition to the lack of tunnel between Lex-59 and Lex-63).

PM rush hour is a disaster. All the IRT lines are suspended except the (7) is down. I feel sorry for all those who have to rely on those line because there is always something going on with the subways.  The (MTA) certainly doesn’t need to keep having these disruptions because people are already flocking the subways because of poor service. 

3 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

How does it affect (1)(2)(3) on the Westside and the problem is on the Eastside 42 St-GC (4)(5)(6) ?

It's probably a problem with the ATS system, which is present on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines. This happened earlier this summer.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I though three times before posting this here:

Here’s an NYC Subway map that lists all bottlenecks throughout the System. Some bottlenecks include sharp curves, Poor Terminal Operations, or Service’s using interlocking’s at Grade Level. Let me know what you all think of it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zW5OcTK4Zkc1_vlH-8LQ73k6UdrhA8hV&usp=sharing

Great map. The easiest fixes would be to have Astoria Blvd serve as a short turn terminal for the (N)(W) during peak periods as well as making more (7)s turn either at 111st or Willets. I can't understand how 71st or Euclid can have such crappy terminal ops other than the MTA's refusal to properly fumigate. The ACLU can't force the MTA to ride homeless into the yard no matter how much they scream, so start putting transit cops down there and get those trains moving. 

I saw the Arnines partially empty on it's trip heading uptown while it was passing by Columbus Circle yesterday. Everyone was at the front, the rest of the train cars were almost empty. Clearly the hot weather made everyone stay home which is a surprise considering when an Arnine fan trip happens, alot of people show up for it (although this was not the case at Coney Island and 175th Street). 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

3 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I saw the Arnines partially empty on it's trip heading uptown while it was passing by Columbus Circle yesterday. Everyone was at the front, the rest of the train cars were almost empty. Clearly the hot weather made everyone stay home which is a surprise considering when an Arnine fan trip happens, alot of people show up for it (although this was not the case at Coney Island and 175th Street). 

100º and no AC is a tough sell -- even for fanners like myself. Not to mention that half the community has problems with deodorant on a good day!

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

100º and no AC is a tough sell -- even for fanners like myself. Not to mention that half the community has problems with deodorant on a good day!

Someone in the first car of the first (7) to Hudson Yards yelled out at Main Street, complaining about it. That was hilarious.

37 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Is it still legal to take the (6) through the City Hall loop and the (5) (on weekends and nights) through the South Ferry loop? Also, is there a way to go through the OLD south ferry station on the (1)?

The old south ferry on the (1) ... whenever they have an weekend G.O where the (4) or (6) ends at Bowling Green. The (5) they fumigate the train at Bowing Green. 

42 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The old south ferry on the (1) ... whenever they have an weekend G.O where the (4) or (6) ends at Bowling Green. The (5) they fumigate the train at Bowing Green. 

So it is legal for the (5)?

is the (6) legal at city hall

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

is there a way to go through the OLD south ferry station on the (1)?

Legally: Wait for a late night (2) train GO where the trains are being rerouted to Wall Street on the Lex and reverse direction to BG and use the loop to go on 7th Avenue (or vice versa.)

Illegally: Get two friends to the new South Ferry and push two shopping carts, one in each pocket track, while you wait at Cortlandt Street for a downtown (1) train. When they start rerouting the trains, pray they don't kick you off at Rector. Also, make sure you have enough cash on hand to bail your 2 friends out of jail.

@New Flyer Xcelsior Your plan didn't work. Good luck getting your buds out of the clink

Part Suspended  Posted: 07/23/2019  4:55PM 

There is no (1) train service between Chambers St and South Ferry because a train's brakes were activated at South Ferry. 

The last stop for southbound (1) trains will be Chambers St. 

Some northbound (2)(3) trains are running on the local track because (1) train service is disrupted near South Ferry.

Expect longer travel times uptown on (1)(2)(3) trains.

Edited by paulrivera

5 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

Quick question, did anyone here actually use the Jerome Ave express pilot back in 2009? I’ve known about it for a while, but I’ve never actually seen anyone speak about it. How’d it go?

I used it a couple of times. The second pilot (Woodlawn-Mosholu-Bedford-Burnside-149-125) was timed and paced better overall, but the <4> pilot was still deemed a failure since it skipped too many important stops.