About Dead Motors

6 Lexington Ave

"Rapid transit" style traction systems, where every truck has at least one motor, usually precludes the movement of other fully assembled cars of the same type due to the work curve and torque rating.

The only exception i can think of is the silverliners and arrows, which can lose up to 38% available tractive effort before it becomes a real problem, in which case it just slows till it reaches a uphill grade or a tight enough curve to stall it.

- A

I notice dead motors pop up on R68/A's alot. The R62As somewhat (talk about 1846 :().

I know 2 R46 cars with dead motors, 5741 & 5524. 5741 you can clearly hear it. 5524 you have to listen closely, but its there.

Now theres another R46 which I forgot the car #, but it has no propulsion at all. I have a video of it, I dunno if I uploaded it or not...

I notice dead motors pop up on R68/A's alot. The R62As somewhat (talk about 1846 :)).

I know 2 R46 cars with dead motors, 5741 & 5524. 5741 you can clearly hear it. 5524 you have to listen closely, but its there.

Now theres another R46 which I forgot the car #, but it has no propulsion at all. I have a video of it, I dunno if I uploaded it or not...

You don't "hear" dead motors. If the motor is dead, you'll hear silence.

Cars are serviced for running repairs constantly so if a motor dies the car may be serviced, so if you're keeping notes on which ones have dead motors that list is bound to be out of date.

You don't "hear" dead motors. If the motor is dead, you'll hear silence.

Cars are serviced for running repairs constantly so if a motor dies the car may be serviced, so if you're keeping notes on which ones have dead motors that list is bound to be out of date.

Then for the (6) line, the list should be longer. I have asked RCI's to check the train for dead motors, and some say, don't tell them I checked it. Why? The barn chief will get on them for giving them more work to do..........

Interesting...I always thought each car was powerful enough to pull a few cars besides itself. Guess not, lol.

Even if so, they would never do that, as they wouldn't want the only powered car to "gap" over a switch. That means lose 3rd rail power. In reality, with the NTT trains, if one shoe on one car is on power, all 5 cars are powered (10 if ten cars). Still slow moving, but it does move. We feel this, leaving the shop after they "bug" use out. They have an overhead 600volt power device, they use to get us moving, then when the first shoe comes on the 3rd rail outside the shop, they take the "bug" off, and we are powered by the 3rd rail then.......

Then for the (6) line, the list should be longer. I have asked RCI's to check the train for dead motors, and some say, don't tell them I checked it. Why? The barn chief will get on them for giving them more work to do..........

Heh...that's why I said "may" get serviced...

But then you know the drill...fill out the car defect sheet...

;)

• 1 month later...
Two more questions: what causes dead motors? do the dead motors have to be replaced or can they be repaired?

Can be caused by a number of problems. With NTT's, sometimes it can be caused by an electronics malfunction and the laptop needs to be plugged into the train to reset the motors. Or it can be a blown motor, which with AC motors means pull the truck, lift out the motor, and replace it with a new one because the old one is basically junk at that point.

With older trains such as SMEE's and AMUE cars which use DC propulsion, again it can be caused by switch group (propulsion control) issues, or a motor needs to be reset. In the latter case, the motor can be reset from on board the train. If all motors in a car appear dead, the switch group may have to be reset. Electrical connections between cars (trainline) can also be a problem...contacts at the couplers may have to be cleaned. If it is a motor problem, it could be as simple as bad commutator brushes or poor brush spring tension, not that big of a deal to repair in the shop. However if it's a grounded armature or field coil, then the whole motor will have to be taken out, replaced by a working spare, and repaired.

A lot of things can go wrong, this is just a basic sampling of some problems to answer the question.

Two more questions: what causes dead motors? do the dead motors have to be replaced or can they be repaired?

On an R160, you can kill the motors by using it to tow or push anything other then an R160. Talk about a useless train....

On an R160, you can kill the motors by using it to tow or push anything other then an R160. Talk about a useless train....

Funny

And they're suppose to be able to produce over 9000HP in a 10 car train by themselves.

smh

Archived