R110A Speed

DJ MC

watching the video brings up a question-On the R-160's, the controller thing (whatever you call it, the thing to T/O pushes and pulls for acceleration and braking) is all the way on the right side of the cab.

As a lefty, this would seem very awkward to operate with my right hand, or with my lefty hand crossed over my body. Anyone know if this is a problem that left-handed T/O's have to deal with?

watching the video brings up a question-On the R-160's, the controller thing (whatever you call it, the thing to T/O pushes and pulls for acceleration and braking) is all the way on the right side of the cab.

As a lefty, this would seem very awkward to operate with my right hand, or with my lefty hand crossed over my body. Anyone know if this is a problem that left-handed T/O's have to deal with?

My uncle is a left handed operator who operates 160's now and when he started off, he used both hands to operate out of habit (yes really) and eventually just got used to using his right hand.

Whoa! This was before they installed timers!

I love the part where he comes flying into the station, The propulsion sounds weird at that point.

Unfortunately my computer is acting retarted and only playing 1 frame every 2-3 seconds :(.

On the R142 and R142A, you can use either hand to operate. I am right handed, but use my left hand to operate those trains, as it is more comfortable. I even use my left hand as my strong hand to carry heavy bags, etc. That's what I get for "training myself" to be ambidextrous.....:(:P:P...............

As for that train speed, my speedometer said I reached 49mhp with a Bombardier from the (4) line, and 50mph with two different Kawasakis from the (4) line. Once a TSS was operating, knew those timers, and the speedometer said we reached 52mph. I wouldn't use their technique though, as it is something I can see hanging me....CHOW!!!!!!!!

Guest lance25
This proves that the R110A did at one point run on the Lexington Avenue Line most likely on the (5).

Actually, it doesn't. If you watch and listen closely, you'll see that the train was still in schoolcar training (or whatever you call it) at the time of the recording. Plus, when the camera is zoomed in on the console, you can see that it's programmed for the (2) and when it entered Borough Hall, the train announced it was not in service.

However, this does. Until late '98, the cars were assigned to the (5) line.

Actually, it doesn't. If you watch and listen closely, you'll see that the train was still in schoolcar training (or whatever you call it) at the time of the recording. Plus, when the camera is zoomed in on the console, you can see that it's programmed for the (2) and when it entered Borough Hall, the train announced it was not in service.

However, this does. Until late '98, the cars were assigned to the (5) line.

If you read ALL of your link you'll see that the cars were property of 239th St yard. Number (2) equipment. We frequently borrowed cars on the (2) and (5) lines but the only outside equipment we ran regularly on the (5) back then was 1 R62A train from the (6) line. No (5) line crews were qualified to run the R110 equipment so I can only assume that Mr Korner was referring to schoolcar or testing the equipment on the Lexington Avenue line. As a matter of fact most of us laughed at the train's frequent breakdowns. It usually just died at the worst locations, like East 180th St or 149th St-3rd Ave or Grand Concourse, blocking service behind it for a good length of time when it happened. Because it was a prototype it wasn't held to the same standards as new car deliveries were ( R142,143,160) so reliabilty didn't count. I smile when I see some posters clamoring for it's return on the GCS or whatever. I bet CED hopes it stays dead and buried.

As far as I know its still up there in 239 yard, a nice pair of binoculars riding north from 238 and should get a clear view.

If you're talking about the R110A being at the 239 St yard,they were moved to Concourse yard to make room for new work cars.

Archived