MetroCard transfer questions

Joel Up Front

I've gladly found the LIRR from Freeport to Lynbrook being worth the 50 cents above bus fare... but when I use my MetroCard on the N25 after getting off at Lynbrook, the farebox takes an extra fare off my card when I know the journey only takes 10 minutes and the transfer on the card is still good.

I'd rather not have to carry $22.50 in quarters on my person so I can ask for a transfer on the N43, but I have no idea what's going on.

I've gladly found the LIRR from Freeport to Lynbrook being worth the 50 cents above bus fare... but when I use my MetroCard on the N25 after getting off at Lynbrook, the farebox takes an extra fare off my card when I know the journey only takes 10 minutes and the transfer on the card is still good.

I'd rather not have to carry $22.50 in quarters on my person so I can ask for a transfer on the N43, but I have no idea what's going on.

N43 and N25 don't cross. Apparently that's an LIB rule, that transfers are only permitted at designated locations.

You'd wish they did, but the main routes that buses run on are spread apart more farther than they are in NYC (think Merrick Boulevard and all the roads that intersect it, compared to what happens when it's Merrick Road in Nassau County... at least a half mile between transfer points).

Interesting, I thought LIB did not have xfer points similar to Bee-Line or NYCT Bus.

I think Bee-Line has that same rule where transfers are honored at designated locations. However it applies at Yonkers, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle and White Plains

It's not that the transfers will only work at transfer points,the routes have to intersect to be a valid transfer. The 25 & the 43 don't. By the way,transfers will work from one route to any other intersecting route at any location,since the farebox has no way of detecting a transfer point. Honoring of transfers at designated points only is meant to discourage misuse of this.

Archived