The Charleston Depot Swap

Calvin

So tday, Im goin to the city and I wanted to see the Express Charleston Depot buses and some of the transfers.

1) Where can I go to see the most movements, Downtown or Midtown?

2) Also, is there any MCIs goin from Castleton to Charleston, Yukon to Charleston and Yukon/Castleton to Meredith?

3) Since Charleston has the S55/56, 74/84, 78, is it just Orion 5s 62xx?

I can answer the third question: I heard NGs (don't know the numbers) as well as Orion 5s in the 6200-series are at Charleston. My friend went out to S.I. this past Saturday and rode a Charleston Orion 5 on the S74.

I know that Chalreston also has Orion 5 buses in the 6190 series (as riding 6194 and 6195 on the (S74)). As for NG's, I have yet to see because I heard that some might go there, but as of now, I have not seen any.

As for the MCI's, I know Yukon has transefered the 4300 series to Charleston since I see most of them on the X17 and some even have the sticker.

Ever since the service cuts and the winter pick, many of the express buses out of Castleton went to Meredith.

I know that Chalreston also has Orion 5 buses in the 6190 series (as riding 6194 and 6195 on the (S74)). As for NG's, I have yet to see because I heard that some might go there, but as of now, I have not seen any.

As for the MCI's, I know Yukon has transferred the 4300 series to Charleston since I see most of them on the X17 and some even have the sticker.

Ever since the service cuts and the winter pick, many of the express buses out of Castleton went to Meredith.

I'd love to see them 4300s on the x22 and x31. Damn, I gotta check out the Express routes soon.

No disrespect but I dont think it actually matters which Orion Vs went over to that depot, as they never left the island and they have already seen routes they've been assigned to. S.I is Orion Island, the only thing that has me interested in this swap are mainly the MCIs.

I'd love to see them 4300s on the x22 and x31. Damn, I gotta check out the Express routes soon.

No disrespect but I dont think it actually matters which Orion Vs went over to that depot, as they never left the island and they have already seen routes they've been assigned to. S.I is Orion Island, the only thing that has me interested in this swap are mainly the MCIs.

saw 1 for u tday, 4309 was on the X22

They're all mixed up now... I'm even seeing X1s with Castleton Depot stickers on them and the X1 has to my knowledge been out of Yukon for as long as I can remember. Most X17s have Charleston Depot stickers, but some apparently are still running out of Yukon and Castleton. Part of it I'm sure is that they haven't had time to change the stickers yet in some cases.

All I know is that most X17 buses I've seen have Charleston Depot logos on them. As for Meredith you might see some of their stickers on the X1 and X10. I don't know much after that...

I have yet to see that yet. I think Meredith is one of the few depots on SI that's pretty much settled. All of the X12s and X30s I've seen have had the Meredith logo on them and if anything, you're more likely to see Meredith buses on Castleton lines than Yukon lines. I recalled walking from the X14 by Clove and Martling Ave and seeing an express bus deadheading down Clove towards Castleton Depot some weeks ago with a Meredith logo.

They're all mixed up now... I'm even seeing X1s with Castleton Depot stickers on them and the X1 has to my knowledge been out of Yukon for as long as I can remember. Most X17s have Charleston Depot stickers, but some apparently are still running out of Yukon and Castleton. Part of it I'm sure is that they haven't had time to change the stickers yet in some cases.

I can't see why routes are based out of depots so far away. Routes should be stored in the depot closest to their terminal (with the same rule applying to short-turns).

For example, if I were to distribute the buses, I would have most S59s based out of Castleton, with some based out of Charleston and Yukon during rush hours. (Currently, I think all runs come out of Yukon)

But I see zero logic in sending routes like the X1, X5, X17, and X22 all the way to Castleton when they end on the South Shore. I could understand buses going to Yukon if there was no space at Charleston, but there is no reason to send them to Castleton.

I can't see why routes are based out of depots so far away. Routes should be stored in the depot closest to their terminal (with the same rule applying to short-turns).

For example, if I were to distribute the buses, I would have most S59s based out of Castleton, with some based out of Charleston and Yukon during rush hours. (Currently, I think all runs come out of Yukon)

But I see zero logic in sending routes like the X1, X5, X17, and X22 all the way to Castleton when they end on the South Shore. I could understand buses going to Yukon if there was no space at Charleston, but there is no reason to send them to Castleton.

However, the X17 appears to be all split up between Charleston, Yukon and Castleton. I have been observing and of late haven't seen that many X17s out of Charleston... Since there are so many variations of the X17, that could explain why it's split between those three depots. Meredith has its hands relatively full with the x11, X12 and X30 runs.

However, the X17 appears to be all split up between Charleston, Yukon and Castleton. I have been observing and of late haven't seen that many X17s out of Charleston... Since there are so many variations of the X17, that could explain why it's split between those three depots. Meredith has its hands relatively full with the x11, X12 and X30 runs.

That is correct. After checking out the lines lately. The x17 has Yukon runs along with Meredith runs, not Castleton! I've caught quite a few x17s out of Charleston along with 4300s on the regular Yukon routes. That is one mindboggling detail, are the 4300s shared? Or does Charleston have x amount of runs on the x1?

That is correct. After checking out the lines lately. The x17 has Yukon runs along with Meredith runs, not Castleton! I've caught quite a few x17s out of Charleston along with 4300s on the regular Yukon routes. That is one mindboggling detail, are the 4300s shared? Or does Charleston have x amount of runs on the x1?

I haven't seen any X17s out of Meredith yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if you spotted one. X17s out of Castleton I have seen since Charleston opened up, but not that often, as previously the X17 was all of Yukon to my knowledge and from my observations. It's usually either Yukon or Charleston of late doing the X17s, but they seem to rotate them.

The 4300s appear to be shared between Yukon and Charleston. Yukon still has some along with its 2200s, but Charleston definitely has some 4300s, which it uses a lot on the X17 runs. When the X17 ran out of Yukon they put a lot of 4300s and 2200s on them I assume to keep breakdowns at a minimum since the line used a lot.

I know for a fact that the x1 has some Charleston Runs seen here

DSC02098.jpg

D4500 2113 out of Charleston with the depot logo on the x1. I think the buses that are based out of Meredith still have some Castleton logos, I saw a 286x on the x15 with Castleton logos when that bus is a Meredith Depot bus.

I know for a fact that the x1 has some Charleston Runs seen here

DSC02098.jpg

D4500 2113 out of Charleston with the depot logo on the x1. I think the buses that are based out of Meredith still have some Castleton logos, I saw a 286x on the x15 with Castleton logos when that bus is a Meredith Depot bus.

This is the first time I've an X1 with a Charleston logo. However, I also saw an X1 with a Castleton logo one morning as I was getting on it at Hylan Blvd back in January. In some cases the runs are mixed up, or as you said in some cases the decals haven't been changed yet. The depots on Staten Island are extremely slow changing their logos. They've even run buses from other boroughs on local lines without having changed the logo after they swapped buses... :( I notice that Castleton swaps express buses a lot w/UP. I've seen a few UP express buses heading down Clove to Castleton Depot on my way home from the X14.

This is the first time I've an X1 with a Charleston logo. However, I also saw an X1 with a Castleton logo one morning as I was getting on it at Hylan Blvd back in January. In some cases the runs are mixed up, or as you said in some cases the decals haven't been changed yet. The depots on Staten Island are extremely slow changing their logos. They've even run buses from other boroughs on local lines without having changed the logo after they swapped buses... :( I notice that Castleton swaps express buses a lot w/UP. I've seen a few UP express buses heading down Clove to Castleton Depot on my way home from the X14.

Castleton has x1 trippers in the AM so that explains that. I have a photo of 1908 on the x1 laying around somewhere.

Castleton has x1 trippers in the AM so that explains that. I have a photo of 1908 on the x1 laying around somewhere.

Now that is mindboggling... So those buses must shoot up Clove Rd and take the SIE maybe then over to the West Shore Expressway and come over to ETC that way...

P.S. Tonite I saw 4313 I believe on the X17 out of Charleston as I was waiting for the express bus...

Now that is mindboggling... So those buses must shoot up Clove Rd and take the SIE maybe then over to the West Shore Expressway and come over to ETC that way...

I do believe that the x1 has some Castleton trippers in the PM as well. I do have some pictures but it'll be a while for me to look through. I know for a fact that there are trippers in the AM.

I do believe that the x1 has some Castleton trippers in the PM as well. I do have some pictures but it'll be a while for me to look through. I know for a fact that there are trippers in the AM.

It would be during the PM rush... I've never seen an X1 or any of the Mid Shore or South Shore buses out of Yukon running out of any other depot. I know they park some of the express buses over at MJQ until the rush so they don't have to schlepp back to the city. Helps them stay on time.

I heard it would be 4431-4452, very few Ng's on these routes

4431-4452 are at Castleton, I saw 4451 on the S53 a few days ago. A B/O from Charleston told me they have nothing but Orion 5s in the 6100s and 6200s series.

4431-4452 are at Castleton, I saw 4451 on the S53 a few days ago. A B/O from Charleston told me they have nothing but Orion 5s in the 6100s and 6200s series.

I saw a few S78s this morning waiting on Hylan for the X2. Nothing but Orion 5s... It would be nice to see a few of the next generation buses out of Charleston, but they've got the newest facilities to maintain those buses.

The times that I've seen X17s out of Castleton is usually during the PM rush. I've seen a few deadheading there by 42nd and 5th by Bryant Park (X17Cs) waiting to start at 41st and 5th. It makes sense because remember Castleton had the X22. It would finish up in Tottenville and I'd see them while I was on the X30 deadheading back to the depot with the "X22 TOTTENVILLE" sign still up, coming up off of the Willowbrook Expressway or whatever that is there and then turning onto Forest and then on to Port Richmond Ave.

Damn, I thought those got sent over to Yukon, thankfully those didnt go there.

Thankfully! :tup:

I saw a few S78s this morning waiting on Hylan for the X2. Nothing but Orion 5s... It would be nice to see a few of the next generation buses out of Charleston, but they've got the newest facilities to maintain those buses.

No let Charleston stay predominately Orion 5.501s until the newer fleet of buses come in. I did hear some rumors saying that Charleston may get 40' NovaBus LFS, but I'm not 100% sure about this, and I'm not even sure how many buses they would receive if this is true.

On a side note, 4431-4452 would make Castleton's FOURTH batch of Next Gens they've received: 3800-series (before they went to Manhattan), 3960-4019, 4245-4278, and now 4431-4452.

Archived