R179 Discussion Thread

Once enough R179 cars come in will they retire the R42s? I hear that the first line the R179s are going to touch are the (J) and (Z) to retire the 42s. Another rumor I hear is that they are going to stay as long as the 32s to accommodate service for the (L) train shutdown in 2019.

Rumors are exactly that- rumors.  Not grounded in fact.  Lately there's been so much misinformation and nonsense coming from people who don't know what they're talking about, that you shouldn't believe anything about the R42s unless it's coming from actual TA employees or forum staff who happen to have inside knowledge (shout-out to ENY).

Personally, I highly doubt that all R42s will go at once, but again, I'm not RTO, I haven't heard anything from RTO, and there haven't been any announcements from insiders.  So I have no idea. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumors are exactly that- rumors.  Not grounded in fact.  Lately there's been so much misinformation and nonsense coming from people who don't know what they're talking about, that you shouldn't believe anything about the R42s unless it's coming from actual TA employees or forum staff who happen to have inside knowledge (shout-out to ENY).

Personally, I highly doubt that all R42s will go at once, but again, I'm not RTO, I haven't heard anything from RTO, and there haven't been any announcements from insiders.  So I have no idea. 

It's the TA, so even the plan they have now is tentative. Everything depends on factors that could change at a moments notice. The R42's survival chances really hinge on how well they're still performing by the time the bulk of the 179 order is on property and accepted for service, which, remember, is supposed to be well before the Canarsie tube shutdown is actually supposed to start (if the delivery schedule does not slip further). 

• 4 weeks later...

Here we have 3015 signed up as a B train and 3010 signed up as a L train. One of the 4-car sets is parked behind 3010's set, making a "9-car" set lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTgfpLTlUZI

I wonder if one will show up on the (L) when they enter service.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Table of Contents:

0:00 to 6:00 - Shots of both the test train & the R46 protection train @ Aqueduct - North Conduit Avenue.

6:00 to 6:18 - Test train on the test track in Broad Channel.

6:18 to end - Test train returning to Pitkin Yard; shot from Linden Plaza parking deck.

• 2 weeks later...