R179 Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YESSSS! What a pleasant surprise!  :drool:

We will get not one but TWO plot trains  :drool:

And the icing on the cake is both 5 car sets hooked up and tested today  :drool:

The order is rolling along nicely  :)

I love this stage of new car orders, just wish I was old enough to be able to enjoy the 142s when they was this young, I remember as a kid I used to visit the Bronx Zoo every summer and half the excitement was hoping to catch a glimpse of the new 142/A cars in that little yard next to E180th Street. 160s I wasn't aware of railfan forums yet so I didn't even know 160s existed until the summer of 07. 

Edited by trainfan22

Just a question. What are R46 cars and how would the coupling system work between it and an R143/160 /179 cars? R44/R46 aren't really SMEE cars correct? is there like an adapter? If I remember correctly NYC uses face hook couplers? Where the R46's updated to facehook's with the overhauls? I've noticed their being used as rescue units. The breaking systems are hella different so I suppose it'll be a push-pull operation if it came down to it.

Edited by RailRunRob

Is there a spec sheet or "blueprint' available for the R179?

I know the R160 and previous NTT's have them because you can view them on nycsubway.org.

It is not public at the moment. Even the R160 sheet on that website is outdated. There is supposed to be two separate sheets for the Alstom motored trains and Siemens motored trains.

On another note, anyone see 3050-3051 sitting at GWB yet?

Edited by Fan Railer

Just a question. What are R46 cars and how would the coupling system work between it and an R143/160 /179 cars? R44/R46 aren't really SMEE cars correct? is there like an adapter? If I remember correctly NYC uses face hook couplers? Where the R46's updated to facehook's with the overhauls? I've noticed their being used as rescue units. The breaking systems are hella different so I suppose it'll be a push-pull operation if it came down to it.

The R46 cars are the ones you find mainly on the (A) and (R). Yes, they have the same coupler face as the R142/143/160/179/188, and always had one, but the electrical parts of the couplers are different and incompatible to the newer cars. The most you'll get is one pulling the other as a rescue car with the other one just rolling along with no brakes.

The current fleet of cars uses 3 different types of couplers:

-H2C: R32/42/62/68, garbage trains

-Ohio Brass (flat face & hook): R46/142/143/160/179/188

-AAR Type H (railroad knuckle): all work equipment

Can't connect one type to another without an adapter. Most of the NTTs carry an H2C adapter within the set, and all of the work locomotives carry both adapters.

Both the R44 and R46 are SMEE cars, but the R44 was in a special case in its own. It had the same principles as a SMEE car, but used a much higher brake pressure.

Hope that helps

The R46 cars are the ones you find mainly on the (A) and (R). Yes, they have the same coupler face as the R142/143/160/179/188, and always had one, but the electrical parts of the couplers are different and incompatible to the newer cars. The most you'll get is one pulling the other as a rescue car with the other one just rolling along with no brakes.

The current fleet of cars uses 3 different types of couplers:

-H2C: R32/42/62/68, garbage trains

-Ohio Brass (flat face & hook): R46/142/143/160/179/188

-AAR Type H (railroad knuckle): all work equipment

Can't connect one type to another without an adapter. Most of the NTTs carry an H2C adapter within the set, and all of the work locomotives carry both adapters.

Both the R44 and R46 are SMEE cars, but the R44 was in a special case in its own. It had the same principles as a SMEE car, but used a much higher brake pressure.

Hope that helps

Super helpful thanks for taking the time !

Switching gears from the excitement of the Second Avenue Subway opening tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the non-revenue testing of the R179 along the A and, most likely, the C line very soon. It's been a long time coming. Wouldn't you guys agree?

Switching gears from the excitement of the Second Avenue Subway opening tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the non-revenue testing of the R179 along the A and, most likely, the C line very soon. It's been a long time coming. Wouldn't you guys agree?

Totally agree. Good to see changes on the (A)(C)(J)(Z), but also sad to see the r42's go.