R179 Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Not that theres a way to be certain, but will the R160s be running the (A) all day or will they do the put ins for the pm rush and short turns during the am rush?

They’ll be used to meet service requirements. My best guess is that they’ll be out frequently since the R46 spares have been heavily used since this whole R179 flop. But I personally don’t think they’ll be used all day and night. 

3 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Not that theres a way to be certain, but will the R160s be running the (A) all day or will they do the put ins for the pm rush and short turns during the am rush?

r160's on the A?? That's a huge surprise, even though it is temporary. They never ran on the A and who would think that with the QBL CBTC fleet swap going on, they would appear on the A.

As for the r160's on the C?? I'm not surprised.

As for the r32's, are conductors really having issues with the r32's? Yes, they do have to switch cars, which may be a health hazard, but in terms of HVAC, those trains can run fine on the A, J/Z, and small chunk on the C.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

r160's on the A?? That's a huge surprise, even though it is temporary. They never ran on the A and who would think that with the QBL CBTC fleet swap going on, they would appear on the A.

The R160A did it's 30-day pilot test run on the A though.

14 minutes ago, VIP said:

They’ll be used to meet service requirements. My best guess is that they’ll be out frequently since the R46 spares have been heavily used since this whole R179 flop. But I personally don’t think they’ll be used all day and night. 

I know that there are alot of trains that terminate at 168 or Dyckman and then go to the yard until pm rush where they put in. I dont know how the other rotations work but usually a set isnt out all day and night. In other words, will they be out middays or will they be peak only?

3 minutes ago, happy283 said:

I know that there are alot of trains that terminate at 168 or Dyckman and then go to the yard until pm rush where they put in. I dont know how the other rotations work but usually a set isnt out all day and night. In other words, will they be out middays or will they be peak only?

They’ll be out off peak. There’s currently an R160 (C) train making trips as we speak and it’s off peak right now. :) 

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't see the point of limiting the 160s on the (A) to rush hour only. When the (A) had 32s they ran off peak and weekends so why limit the 160s?

I'm pretty sure they will be running off peak.

That was the case sometimes with the R32

But often times I would take the (A) during pm peak and the put ins would have R32s. But the R160s are newer so thats a different situation.

32 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Are those r160's borrowed from the L?

[video]

Yep, from ENY Yard. Those are the Digimove cars for CBTC service often used on the J/Z as well. Rare to see an Akzidenz-number plate R160 uptown.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The (F) will not return to regular service until August at the earliest due to Culver CBTC so there's some cars to spare

37 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The (F) will not return to regular service until August at the earliest due to Culver CBTC so there's some cars to spare

The (F) will return to regular WEEKDAY service. The line had 6/7 sets to spare but supervision only approved of 4 sets out of culver yard inventory. 

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't see the point of limiting the 160s on the (A) to rush hour only. When the (A) had 32s they ran off peak and weekends so why limit the 160s?

I'm pretty sure they will be running off peak.

For some reason, someone on youtube said the R160s will be exclusively used on Rockaway Park (A) trains. I am not really sure how that would work considering they go to 207 St in the morning and presumably head back to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd after and the pm trips are all put ins. I still wouldnt be surpised if R160s were used at any time not just peak.

4 hours ago, VIP said:

The (F) will return to regular WEEKDAY service. The line had 6/7 sets to spare but supervision only approved of 4 sets out of culver yard inventory. 

The switches at Kings Highway are out of service until around September, so regular weekday service likely won’t return until then. New switch machines are being installed that are incompatible with the existing GRS Model 5 interlocking machine. Next time a switch throws at Kings Highway it’ll be under the control of the new interlocking being constructed there.

This is why the F for the time being will continue to run the essential service schedule - the base F schedule is inoperable right now due to Kings Highway being unavailable. In the interim it is possible that a supplement schedule will be written with slightly increased service and a few trains turning at 18ave. Either way, the F’s train requirements are reduced compared to the base schedule which is a major help in this situation.

Yesterday afternoon, 5 R160s from Culver Yard were transferred to Rockaway Park Yard. Overnight, several more consists from JYD and 179 layup were transferred to Pitkin Yard. One of them is a Siemens set. 

28 R32s are currently at ENY now after 3 transfer movements yesterday evening. Given that access to/from 207 yard isn’t available this weekend due to a GO, that number isn’t likely to change until Monday at the earliest.

6 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Yesterday afternoon, 5 R160s from Culver Yard were transferred to Rockaway Park Yard. Overnight, several more consists from JYD and 179 layup were transferred to Pitkin Yard. One of them is a Siemens set.

Now it is to be assumed that those will operate on the 5 am trips from Rockaway Park to 207 St. Do the am Rockaway Park trips turn around at 207 and head down to Lefferts or Mott Av? Also, how many R160s will be assigned to the (A) in total?

Edited by happy283

9 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Now it is to be assumed that those will operate on the 5 am trips from Rockaway Park to 207 St. Do the am Rockaway Park trips turn around at 207 and head down to Lefferts or Mott Av? Also, how many R160s will be assigned to the (A) in total?

The Rockaway Park AM rush trips now stay in service all day, but before used to drop out at 168 St. The PM trips to Rockaway Park go back to the yard at the end of their run

13 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Now it is to be assumed that those will operate on the 5 am trips from Rockaway Park to 207 St. Do the am Rockaway Park trips turn around at 207 and head down to Lefferts or Mott Av?

It varies depending on the needs of the service really. So far looks like 8-9 consists of R160s donated to the A.

i should add that several consists of R179s have been transferred out of Pitkin Yard for storage at an undisclosed location.

Edited by Dj Hammers

4 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

It varies depending on the needs of the service really. So far looks like 8-9 consists of R160s donated to the A.

Is that number expected to rise? How many siemens sets have been transferred and where are they currently?