Original Red And Tan In Hudson County Bus Map/PATH Map

EE Broadway Local

From the early days of Red And Tan In Hudson County, a Hudson County Bus Map with PATH Stations shown. This map shows all the original routes (#3 #4 #5/6, #10, #11, #16, #99, #99S, #122, #144, #231) in their original routings and colors:

Red And Tan In Hudson County/PATH Map: http://web.archive.org/web/20040726230839/redandtan.com/images/netmap.pdf

Back when Red & Tan in Hudson County was a great system, now they're literally down to two routes. That is a damn shame.

They've single handedly destroyed alot of Jersey City bus service.

I can understand why they cut the 5, it served little to no purpose and was down to one or two trips in the rush carrying almost nobody. Cutting service along Garfield Avenue was a smart move because many people opted for the light rail. Cutting the 231 was a mistake, and now they try to play nice by putting 10/99S service on Central Avenue. Cutting 99 service to New York was a smart move, but then when they cut the whole line, that was a mistake and now New Jersey Transit had to pick up their slack with the 6, but thats ok, NJT is running the service much better now.

The biggest mistake they made was cutting the 16 line. That was a major route, and always had it's ridership. I wish NJT had picked up that line as well but also they have their limits and some of their routes already complemented for the loss of the 16, like the 87 and now the 6L (late move to be honest but glad it's there now). But a few areas were still greatly affected by the loss of the 16, like the area I live in for example, losing direct service to Journal Square (which is now back but weekdays only with the 6L).

I have little to no respect for Red & Tan for the way they destroyed service.

(Not to cause my friend Pablo any stress 70(EE)) So I thought I'd share the bus map with members, and visitors to NYC Transit Forums who, maybe, would like to see when Red And Tan In Hudson County was good, and when Downtown had a little more service.

The only bus route missing is the old #31 which ran on Grove Street, and Red And Tan In Hudson County was still at 437 Tonnele Avenue, so I'm thinking this bus map is from around 2001.

Notice how Ocean Avenue had very good service with Red And Tan #3, #4, #99 (plus (NJT) #81).

I mentioned about the #11 - this bus map does show the route the #11 took to serve Port Libete and Chapel Avenue.

Jersey City bus maps seem to be a rare breed, and the only other one I've found was an old one on the Hudson County Web Site.

(Not to cause my friend Pablo any stress 70(EE)) So I thought I'd share the bus map with members, and visitors to NYC Transit Forums who, maybe, would like to see when Red And Tan In Hudson County was good, and when Downtown had a little more service.

The only bus route missing is the old #31 which ran on Grove Street, and Red And Tan In Hudson County was still at 437 Tonnele Avenue, so I'm thinking this bus map is from around 2001.

Notice how Ocean Avenue had very good service with Red And Tan #3, #4, #99 (plus (NJT) #81).

I mentioned about the #11 - this bus map does show the route the #11 took to serve Port Libete and Chapel Avenue.

Jersey City bus maps seem to be a rare breed, and the only other one I've found was an old one on the Hudson County Web Site.

No stressing here.

The map is definitely not from 2001 because of several things:

1. Lafayette & Greenville was not taken over by Red & Tan until March 2003 (I remember the takeover process clear as day).

2. The 31 is not shown because it was discontinued when PATH service was restored to Exchange Place IIRC. I know the 31 use to be a much longer route with service to Hoboken I believe and then got cut back to be a PATH shuttle between Grove Street and Exchange Place because of the September 11th, 2001 attacks.

This map is late 2003/2004. And R&T didn't move out of 437 Tonnelle Avenue until 2005 or 2006.

I thought the Red and Tan only went up into Rockland and Bergen Cos. Am I missing something?

Nope. Thats a separate Red & Tan.

Archived