Why Doesn't New York City Have A Country And Western Radio Station?

EE Broadway Local

I was born at Long Island College Hospital and I have lived in Brooklyn my entire life. There's nothing like drinking some beers and doing shots of JD while listening to some Willy Nelson or Johnny Cash.

I agree, I don't mind country every now and then. I was in Tennessee for a week a few years ago and there was practically nothing but country/western music stations. Kills the time and it's somewhat enjoyable. I'd rather listen to that stuff over rap anyday.

Hell, the country station in GTA SA is one of my favorite stations to listen to when doing random acts of mayhem :(

Urbanfortitude, I'm not complaining. Honestly. I was just curious. Complain I did when WCBS FM 101.1 went to JACK FM.

So curious EE how many 'country' stations are there in the Phoenix/Tuscan area?

Not to get off topic but a shame in NYC a major radio station does not play smooth jazz, tecno dance(KTU plays mostly 'pop' oriented dance music)reggae and a mainstream current rock station full time as well.

Yet NYC now has '3' full time stations playing rap/hip-hop(Kiss FM just dropped their 'classic R&B" format for current R&B/Old school HIP-HOP)Not to mention Z-100 and "Now 92.3' playing it regularly as well. Talk about overkill of a format.:tdown:

Up here in Hudson Valley, IMO it's too many rock and country stations as well.:mad:

All the top 40 bubble gum crap is just that...crap. Cookie cutter over-synthed songs by people with no talent who are chosen for their looks and who their parents know to go be famous for a few years now until they become crackwhores (see Britney Spears) or just disappear after a couple of hits.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say NYC "needs" a country music station (no one needs anything, really, except air food water and shelter), it's not something I'd be opposed to.

And yeah, K Rock kicked the crap out of this "now" station which is a joke. Apparently they didn't learn their lesson when they killed K Rock the first time to put 92 "free" FM which was FM talk radio (something I've never been a fan of...talking heads who are nobodies who think their opinion counts for something since they get a microphone in front of their face).

Most music on NYC radio is crap today anyway, so I hardly even listen to it.

When 92.3 was an FM talk station, it did really well and had a very good following of listeners. They only got rid of it because people also wanted music, they could have split the programming but in the end it didn't matter since it has become an LA radio station. Every thing you hear from 92.3 now, is streaming from some station in LA.

All the top 40 bubble gum crap is just that...crap. Cookie cutter over-synthed songs by people with no talent who are chosen for their looks and who their parents know to go be famous for a few years now until they become crackwhores (see Britney Spears) or just disappear after a couple of hits.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say NYC "needs" a country music station (no one needs anything, really, except air food water and shelter), it's not something I'd be opposed to.

And yeah, K Rock kicked the crap out of this "now" station which is a joke. Apparently they didn't learn their lesson when they killed K Rock the first time to put 92 "free" FM which was FM talk radio (something I've never been a fan of...talking heads who are nobodies who think their opinion counts for something since they get a microphone in front of their face).

Most music on NYC radio is crap today anyway, so I hardly even listen to it.

It could be worse living in the hicks lol aka Hudson Valley NY where there are only about 10-12 major stations in the Poughkeepsie/Kingston, NY market.

And about '4' of them plays country music and the others are 'soft rock' and rock i.e WPDH-FM playing Guns and Roses all the time:o or 'K-104' the top 40 station here playing Black Eyed Peas or Taylor Swift every other song.

Or the only major R&B/HIP Hop station "KISS FM" (not the 98.7 station from NYC)is actually plays music similar to "KTU' or "Z100' such as Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, occasionally Jay-Z. The Hudson Vallley Kiss station is not hardcore Rap like "Hot 97" or "Power 105.1' down in the 5 boros.

Thankfully there Sirrus as Dan suggested or online sites like Youtube and many other music sites.

It could be worse living in the hicks lol aka Hudson Valley NY where there are only about 10-12 major stations in the Poughkeepsie/Kingston, NY market.

And about '4' of them plays country music and the others are 'soft rock' and rock i.e WPDH-FM playing Guns and Roses all the time:o or 'K-104' the top 40 station here playing Black Eyed Peas or Taylor Swift every other song.

Or the only major R&B/HIP Hop station "KISS FM" (not the 98.7 station from NYC)is actually plays music similar to "KTU' or "Z100' such as Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, occasionally Jay-Z. The Hudson Vallley Kiss station is not hardcore Rap like "Hot 97" or "Power 105.1' down in the 5 boros.

Thankfully there Sirrus as Dan suggested or online sites like Youtube and many other music sites.

That's not so bad. That's some variety. Look at what NYC has. It's all top 40 garbage and a couple of hip hop stations, and Light FM (hahahahahahahah!). No rock anymore, no country. No variety.

That's not so bad. That's some variety. Look at what NYC has. It's all top 40 garbage and a couple of hip hop stations, and Light FM (hahahahahahahah!). No rock anymore, no country. No variety.

In your car, besides the stations i mentioned depending on what town in Dutchess/Orange or Ulster you get also other stations from either NYC, Albany

or New Haven/Danbury, Ct.

North of Kingston, it's all Albany stations

It's bad enough I have to wake up to blue jays & pigeons chirping, and infomercials every morning....

ucfk that....

I aint listenin to no one screaming YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW

to start my day.

LOL.

Well you have '2' local country radio stations that do that "YEEEEEEHHHHAAAWWWW" scream. The other is a rebroadcast of the CMT (the country music channel cable tv station)network.:cool:

One station I miss is CD 101.9 smooth Jazz, That was a big shame when they took it off. Icannot listen to regular radio anymore, too many interuptions, too many commercials and to much fluff. Thats why I satnd behind my Sirius XM satellite radio or if I have to put on the radio I listen to 1010 wins or 880am for news and traffic conditions.

One station I miss is CD 101.9 smooth Jazz, That was a big shame when they took it off. Icannot listen to regular radio anymore, too many interuptions, too many commercials and to much fluff. Thats why I satnd behind my Sirius XM satellite radio or if I have to put on the radio I listen to 1010 wins or 880am for news and traffic conditions.

Damn forgot about that "CD 101.9'. That a really good station as they played everything from Dave Coz, Grover Washington Jr. Herbie Hancock, Herb Albert, etc. to "Slow Jams' aka Light R&B such as Sade, Anita Baker, etc.

Plus on their Sunday Night Oldies show playing jazz legends from Countie Basie to Duke Elligton and more.:D

A cool station for the grown up's who appericate a diverse amount of music. Also what sad is that the stations in both Albany and Philadelphia in past year also ended their "Smooth Jazz' formats as well.

Luckly when I go to Southern Calif at 1-2x a year to see My folks including the upcoming Christmas/New Years Holiday's, there are '2' smooth jazz stations each in LA and San Diego, I can listen to.

Archived