Why Doesn't New York City Have A Country And Western Radio Station?

EE Broadway Local

There have been numerous previous attempts of a Country Western format( one that comes to mind was WKHK-FM) here in New York and it never worked out for any length of time. New York is just not a market for it for that format.Not enough of a Country Western fan base in this section of the U.S.A(Northeast).Overall translates into; low listenership, low ad sales( no money), and low ratings to sell advertisers.Simply never was never a successfull format here for a broadcasting company to operate at a profit and that's the bottomline ($$$$).It's a business like everything else.

Besides the lack of listeners, maybe the question is why such a lack of Country and Western listeners in NYC?

I will get bashed for this, but enough (I did not say all) New Yawkas, think unhighly of dem cun-tree folk, and less highly of their mewsik........

Here's a blast from the past from the 1980's...

It's been tried and done before but never had staying power. NYC just ain't a honkytonk kinda town.

b63sj8.jpg

New York is putting its giant MTA boots on, and kicking SubwayGuy in the a$$, since he is not NiceGuy....;):P:P.........

New York is putting its giant MTA boots on, and kicking SubwayGuy in the a$$, since he is not NiceGuy....;):P:P.........

Heh...not yet. Soon though. But its sure seems to be kicking you in the butt since I haven't seen ya in MONTHS. Have they let you out of sight yet?

Who the hell in NYC would listen to Country and Western? My gpop is 80 and he listens to hip hip.

Well you shouldn't generalize, but I do agree that it's a very small market plus with sirius/xm there's no need to have a country/western station at all.

But I agree with INDman:

That's like driving through LA and asking why your radio only picks up Spanish stations. There is no market for country music in NYC, you have too many people listening to rap, hip hop, and all that other shit music.

The day I started appreciating classic rock again in 2008 was the day K-Rock became some generic ****ty Top 40 station. But back when I was 11-12, I didn't care - if I liked it, it ended up on my hard drive.

On top of this, my headphones came apart Sunday and I am in dire need of a new pair because I do bring my iPod almost everywhere I go.

Just curious. Why doesn't New York City have a Country And Western station on AM or FM?

EE Local here in upstate Hudson River Valley NY(Poughkeepsie-Kingston)there are '3' major country stations here. Plus as the others stated there not enough of a market for country music station in NYC.

Yet in most of America, it's the 2nd most succesful radio format after only soft rock.

Personally I think the only way a country station in metro NYC could work would be a hybird station. A station that plays 'oldies' from Hank Williams Sr. Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, etc. to 'Southern Rock' i.e The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. and current pop stuff like Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Rascal Flats, etc.

A 'hybird' format like I mentioned that could work in NYC but a station playing 100% country would be a flop. One of the country stations here in Hudson Valley called the "Wolf 94.3" plays that hybird format.

My late Dad loved country being born in Texas but I am not a big fan. I do occasional listen to it though. Just my takes.

nowadays you can get country on xm/sirius radio or internet radio, even in your car sometimes. So no one is gonna start a general NYC stations just for country

Absolutely correct.Your probabely right;no broadcasting company is going to take that chance investing that money in New York where Country Western never succeeded($$) here in the past.Why would it now? Sirus/XM has it and it's National( USA) not limited to anywhere in the USA( NY.).So I suppose if people want that format then they will have to just subscribe(XM) or stream on line on their computer from another radio staion in another market someplace for free..

The question is are you from Brooklyn?

New York, Country, and Western don't even belong in the same sentence together!

I was born at Long Island College Hospital and I have lived in Brooklyn my entire life. There's nothing like drinking some beers and doing shots of JD while listening to some Willy Nelson or Johnny Cash.

Archived