8 Years Ago Today

R32 3838

On October 24th,2002, The R26/28's as well as the GE R29's retired on the <5>, I took some shots a few hours ago of the R28's as well as the R29's doing work duty (Gel train) The R26/28's were the Last ACF subway Cars built for the NYCT subway system.

100_1307b.jpg

And Here's a Video:

Since this is the case I personally like to say I enjoyed riding the oldest of the Redbirds in service. It's really unfortunate that only eight of them survive. The last R26 to be reefed was 7770-7771 which was reefed last year along with a pair of R30s. I found this on nycsubway.org.

http://nycsubway.org/articles/chiasson-r26-29.html

7774/5 is still around, its hooked to the other Redbirds in E180th yard.

Yeah knew that. Just pointing out the last R26 to be reefed. I wish more were saved though. 7773-7772 would have been an interesting candidate as that pair had drop sash storm doors, which came off of R21/R22 cars.

I Know, they should have saved that pair too, in 2003 they payed more attention to the R33's, They should have saved more R26/28's and a pair of GE R29's, the only R29 on property is 8678/9 and that's a westinghouse unit, 7800/01 were in perfect shape, 7750/1 was in perfect shape, but yet they got rid of those pairs.

;) I remember riding 26/28/29's back in 2001, when I was just a kid. They bring so many memories, it's sad that the NYCTM/MTA didn't give one about them in 03'.

Do the few that are left have ANY usage now (garbage train, work service)?

Egh, all IRT SMEEs that came after the R21/22s were and are junk. They all have terrible body rot around the doors and windows. There was an R33 WM up at 207 a few months ago that had a hole in the side so big that I could get both my hand in and clap. Some of the cars that ran on the (7) untill the end were more bondo then steel. At the other end of the spectrum, when I stripped some R21/22 Money train cars, they were in great condition even after they were stored out side at CIYD for a year or so before scrapping. Hell, look at 6688 up at BERA. It lives out side and doesn't have any of the rust and rot problems the R26s and up have/had. It's a shame they didn't GOH the R17/21/22s, had they, a few of them could still be running.

Egh, all IRT SMEEs that came after the R21/22s were and are junk. They all have terrible body rot around the doors and windows. There was an R33 WM up at 207 a few months ago that had a hole in the side so big that I could get both my hand in and clap. Some of the cars that ran on the (7) untill the end were more bondo then steel. At the other end of the spectrum, when I stripped some R21/22 Money train cars, they were in great condition even after they were stored out side at CIYD for a year or so before scrapping. Hell, look at 6688 up at BERA. It lives out side and doesn't have any of the rust and rot problems the R26s and up have/had. It's a shame they didn't GOH the R17/21/22s, had they, a few of them could still be running.

The R33 Mainline cars were the best, Not all of them had or have Rust Issues, the dumbass TA got rid of the R26/28's that were in the best shape, and After sitting around for 8 plus years they are going to rust more and more, The R36WF cars were the worst, Nothing but rust.

There is only six left on the property and they move around time after time. They do operate still, but will need a lot of work in order for them to run on any fantrips and if not in special regular passenger service. I did hear R33 8950-8951 was also going to be preserved, but they were converted to rider cars, so I really don't know if it will still be saved when the time comes for the R33s work cars to be retired.

8950/51 were in great shape, too bad the TA and TM didn't look at that, They are in better shape than those R33's that they saved. 8812/13 is in good shape and its a work motor at 38th st yard.

I agree the R17/R21/R22s should have been overhauled, but it was too late to save them.

It wasn't to late for them, they were doomed because they were singles. Had they been married pairs, they could have installed A/Cs on them and they would have been kept around. One of the money cars I stripped had not a single spot of rust on it, and it was work equipment which always sits out side and gets treated like crap.

It wasn't to late for them, they were doomed because they were singles. Had they been married pairs, they could have installed A/Cs on them and they would have been kept around. One of the money cars I stripped had not a single spot of rust on it, and it was work equipment which always sits out side and gets treated like crap.

The R21/22 should have stayed, they were in good shape, I agree, but the TA was being stupid in the past, I always think Single cars are the best.

What?! Since that's the case why were the R62/R62As ordered in the first place? If I were the TA I would of just given those cars H2C couplers along with the Queens cars. That's really interesting information there INDman.

R62 and 68s are much lighter then older cars, that's why they were ordered as singles.

I agree with your comments about the conditions of the car bodies.....But operation-wise R21/22s couldn't compare to the redbirds # 8806-9075 in (5) road service. I've pounded the road on the (2),(3) and (5) from the time we had caps and triggers(inactive) up to the R142s on the (2) and (5) today. I can truthfully say that the St Louis and ACF cars were better BUILT than the garbage cans running today in the IRT. The overhauled redbirds were held together wirh duct tape and bubblegum but that's what deferred maintainance leads to. IDK if the NTT will have as long a lifespan though. With proper care the R62/62A and R68s may outlast them.

Archived