The New map is out

R33WF

Has there been a suggestion to charge for subway maps to cover the MTA budget? This would reduce waste from foamers as well as help to raise revenue and reduce cost.

Corrected!;)

Actually, that would be inconvenient, as an agent would have to be asked for every map, instead of "Here you go, come and take".

Has there been a suggestion to charge for subway maps to cover the MTA budget? This would reduce waste from people that use it once and tossing it out as well as help to raise revenue and reduce cost.

I haven't heard of any but it'd definitely come in handy. Unless you're buying a MetroCard or having it refilled at a token booth clerk then the MTA should charge, let's say, $0.50 for a map.

Guest lance25

Why should anyone have to pay anything for a map of the subway system? That would be akin to paying Google every time I used their directions service.

I haven't heard of any but it'd definitely come in handy. Unless you're buying a MetroCard or having it refilled at a token booth clerk then the MTA should charge, let's say, $0.50 for a map.

But then, you might have people putting less on their MetroCards so they can get more maps.

Still, not a bad idea, though. $0.25 or $0.50 isn't ridiculous for a map.

Also, someone could just use the free ones in the trains/stations.

But it is easier to plan a trip on the map when you have it in your hand. You can study it at home and come to the station already knowing which lines you need to take, instead of planning it out in a busy station, with people rushing by you.

But then, you might have people putting less on their MetroCards so they can get more maps.

Still, not a bad idea, though. $0.25 or $0.50 isn't ridiculous for a map.

I didn't think of that. But the MTA is broke so they're going to scrounge for every single penny they can get, even if it means they have to charge for maps. Not that I'm necessarily for paying for maps but if it's something the MTA does in the long run I wouldn't complain about it.

HOWEVER, I can imagine the checkout line at 3 Stone Street for those wanting Schedules and Maps! ;)

I didn't think of that. But the MTA is broke so they're going to scrounge for every single penny they can get, even if it means they have to charge for maps. Not that I'm necessarily for paying for maps but if it's something the MTA does in the long run I wouldn't complain about it.

HOWEVER, I can imagine the checkout line at 3 Stone Street for those wanting Schedules and Maps! ;)

Especially foamers before service cuts:eek:

Map price needs to be the same as a train ride to ofset the cost. I would estimate that MTA would receive close to $5-10 millions in revenue and cost savings. They should also includes ads in their maps to get more revenue. There are plenty of ways for MTA to get more revenue without reverting to layoffs. That's the fault for their mismanagement and incompetents.

Guest lance25

No one's gonna pay $2.25 for a map, no matter how good or bad it is. Also, I don't know how ads would work on the map since the (MTA) just prints out the same map as it's needed. If it were up to me, I'd put audio ads into the NTTs and video ads on the R160s. It would be better than hearing Charlie Pellett's "Ladies and Gentlemen..." announcements ad nauseam.

The paper maps and timetables should be free and accessible to help tourists and people unfamiliar with the system be able to navigate it safely and carefully. No adverts on the maps, Already the pocket guides on the LIRR have ads in em and it just makes em look cheap.

If the city wasnt wasting money on fancy lightposts, blocking off streets and making bike lanes, they could spend more on the MTA.

Free maps would imply that it doesn't cost anything to produce. Google makes money from ads and search results, that's how you are able to search for free. Without that, google would charge you plenty for the service. Charging for maps is a good way for reducing waste. You'll probably get a better product as well since now there is some incentives to improve on the product to make it more useful, durable and practical.

LOL! Looks like somebody has to hire a good load of cashiers!

Well i got some of the new maps already and its plain garbage, they left the old bus routes at a station in the balloon. If you look at 241/WPR on the (2) the Bx41 is still there it should be Bx39!

AND no Route info anywhere! Plain garbage~

Well i got some of the new maps already and its plain garbage, they left the old bus routes at a station in the balloon. If you look at 241/WPR on the (2) the Bx41 is still there it should be Bx39!

There are bunch of errors in the new map, they will have to really need another update or revised update.

MTA never triple check their mistakes especially their Subway service guide info--- if its not broken, MTA breaks it easily in this and many cases.

1. And the V is still accessible by elevator at Queens Plaza!

2. This is not a bus map, it's a subway map.

3. Face it, it's the MTA.

1. And the V is still accessible by elevator at Queens Plaza!.

As noted here for those who are interested: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=286043#post286043

I agree, this is a subway map. I never seen other transit maps with the same BS. Philly's rail map is pretty clean, IMO. Look at DC's. Even the Underground's map is pretty discernible, because there are no weird balloons that would give someone a nightmare. BART's system map shows none of it, but BART does however, issue a very detailed pamphlet about connecting transit services. I think we should follow a similar example and not kill the map.

As noted here for those who are interested: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=286043#post286043

I agree, this is a subway map. I never seen other transit maps with the same BS. Philly's rail map is pretty clean, IMO. Look at DC's. Even the Underground's map is pretty discernible, because there are no weird balloons that would give someone a nightmare. BART's system map shows none of it, but BART does however, issue a very detailed pamphlet about connecting transit services. I think we should follow a similar example and not kill the map.

Agreed. And that pamphlet should be by borough and cost 25 cents, IMO.

Archived