MTA budget cuts include 450 token booth clerks

Harry

The MTA's plans to slash 450 token booth clerks would create the lowest levels of subway station staffing in more than a decade, authority and union figures reveal.

Layoffs will leave about 2,650 station agents in the sprawling system - 25% fewer than in 1999, staffing figures show.

Transit officials maintain riders shouldn't be concerned for their safety, in part, they say, because the NYPD has successfully driven crime to all-time lows.

But transit advocates and some riders remain jittery about the dwindling workforce and increased reliance on intercoms, MetroCard vending machines and surveillance cameras.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/11/2010-03-11_mta_budget_cuts_include_450_token_booth_clerks.html#ixzz0hviC1vDX

post-1-133288581659_thumb.jpg

On topic i have mixed feelings on 'station agents' being cut. As someone who been to most of the US including traveling on all of the nation's major and largest subway/rapid transit systems from LA's Metro, the Bart, CTA/Chicago 'el', Boston, San Diego, Dallas, Philly's :septa: subway the Washington DC "Metro' and closer to home "Path" they all have limited hours for station agents or none at all.

While i am aware of the NYC subway being the largest intracity rapid transit system in the world size wise, what does station agents seriously do for their jobs? Sure busy stations like Times Square, Penn Station, 74th and Roosevelt-Jackson Heights should always have them 24/7. However what about stations that are ghost towns such as the Rockaway Park (S) stations or Rector St on the (N)(R) lines overnight?:confused:

Also good agents have prevented crimes as well.

Playing Devil Adovcate also, I seen on occasion late at night at ghost town stations ie low usage ones, a few agents 'sleeping on the job' or talking on their cell phones forever. Not to mention couple of years ago a woman raped at the 21st Sr (G) station and a station agent doing nothing to help not even calling the Police.

I am not saying they are not good ones who do their jobs, but the role of current station agents in NYC subways needs to change. I hope the TWU has an open mind and with technology now in 2010, customers can help themselves to paying the fare. Just not sure what yet in the huge and complex NYC subway system.

While i am aware of the NYC subway being the largest intracity rapid transit system in the world size wise, what does station agents seriously do for their jobs? Sure busy stations like Times Square, Penn Station, 74th and Roosevelt-Jackson Heights should always have them 24/7. However what about stations that are ghost towns such as the Rockaway Park (S) stations or Rector St on the (N)(R) lines overnight?:confused:

Also good agents have prevented crimes as well.{quote}

you awnsered your own question........besides selling fare media, you have to give out information........the stations you name are busy sure, but i can name you at least 200 more stations that are fairly busy..........here's an example: how about going to a station such as 125th and lex on the 4,5,6.....you ever see how long that line gets? or utica ave on the 4......another disasterous place to work.......

sure there are dead stations, but again, that comes with the territory...certain places just donthave th3e volume of people(like the rockaways, etc)

Quote"Playing Devil Adovcate also, I seen on occasion late at night at ghost town stations ie low usage ones, a few agents 'sleeping on the job' or talking on their cell phones forever. Not to mention couple of years ago a woman raped at the 21st Sr (G) station and a station agent doing nothing to help not even calling the Police."Quote

you have good employees, and bad ones.........not an easy job to stay up on the night tour when there are no people passing through the station......not saying that its right, but thats how it is..........

as for the rape thing, again, mta has one of the stricter rules for any organization.......the clerk is not allowed to leave the booth unless authorized.........god forbid he leaves, and something happens to him as he tries to help that girl.........it could be a setup, he could be killed......and mta will not give his family a penny because he violated rules and protocol.........

you said he didnt call the police...if the clerk didnt, who did? last i checked, that was the one who called the police........

quote"I am not saying they are not good ones who do their jobs, but the role of current station agents in NYC subways needs to change. I hope the TWU has an open mind and with technology now in 2010, customers can help themselves to paying the fare. Just not sure what yet in the huge and complex NYC subway system.

what ideas u have on the role of station agents job? what do you think it should be?

if you think the customers are going to "honestly pay their fare" and no clerk is around, i have a bridge to sell you.......with vending machines that break down, and competition from "swipers"-sell swipes illegally,you would have a zoo underground........the ta tried to change the clerks role(and the union signed off on it), and to this point it has been a disaster.........if any clerks do lose their job, the union will take a major fall in that regard........

also, god forbid a terrorist attack occurs where there was an unstaffed booth used to be..what will you say then? keep in mind that walder worked in london during the london bombings in 2005, so he should know better.......

Archived