Are third-rail shoes spring-loaded?

m7zanr160s

This might be common sense, but I just don't know for sure. It's not like you can go touch and see. Bottom contact, I can see, but what about top contact. Is it spring-loaded to keep it in contact with the rail or is it heavy enough to ride along just fine?

This might be common sense, but I just don't know for sure. It's not like you can go touch and see. Bottom contact, I can see, but what about top contact. Is it spring-loaded to keep it in contact with the rail or is it heavy enough to ride along just fine?

the tiny thing isn't a quarter the size of my keyboard and won't weight more than 5-6 lbs.

for closeup images, go here: http://www.nycsubway.org/cars/yards_coney_truck.html

Yes it's spring loaded. I don't have the exact tension range sitting around offhand at the moment however. It must be fairly precise because if the spring is too loaded, the shoes and 3rd rail will wear too quickly...if too light, the shoe will not maintain perfect contact with the rail as the car moves causing electrical arcing

Yes it's spring loaded. I don't have the exact tension range sitting around offhand at the moment however. It must be fairly precise because if the spring is too loaded, the shoes and 3rd rail will wear too quickly...if too light, the shoe will not maintain perfect contact with the rail as the car moves causing electrical arcing

It's about 30 lbs, at least thats what it is on the NTTs.

"the tiny thing isn't a quarter the size of my keyboard and won't weight more than 5-6 lbs."

They are bigger then that. Once you have one in your hand you see how big they are. Also they are heavy, maybe 10 or more lbs.

It's about 30 lbs, at least thats what it is on the NTTs.

"the tiny thing isn't a quarter the size of my keyboard and won't weight more than 5-6 lbs."

They are bigger then that. Once you have one in your hand you see how big they are. Also they are heavy, maybe 10 or more lbs.

lol, ok. maybe half the size of my keyboard now that i think about it...

Yeah, cool. Makes sense about the wear-and-tear thing, cause I was wondering if they get replaced because of friction. Kinda like my kicks after a year...year...no, a couple months of balling on concrete. That rubber goes fast, but third rails are pretty smooth, plus steel, so... Appreciate the answers, thanks.

Also worth noting here is that third rail shoes have shear joints. That way if they happen to strike some trackside furniture, the shoe will break off instead of wrecking whatever it strikes (though i'm sure the furniture won't be unscathed).

Yeah, cool. Makes sense about the wear-and-tear thing, cause I was wondering if they get replaced because of friction. Kinda like my kicks after a year...year...no, a couple months of balling on concrete. That rubber goes fast, but third rails are pretty smooth, plus steel, so... Appreciate the answers, thanks.

Actually most subway car parts that are subject to friction have a condemning line or some sort of inspection point that where they fail, they are replaced. So if a third rail shoe is worn to a certain point, it's time to replace it.

Also worth noting here is that third rail shoes have shear joints. That way if they happen to strike some trackside furniture, the shoe will break off instead of wrecking whatever it strikes (though i'm sure the furniture won't be unscathed).

If it his something metal, usually it will vaporize what it hit.

They are designed to break though, correct? I'm 99% sure I heard an MNR employee say that at the last Croton open house.

Would have to inspect the specific shoes to tell. New tech shoes are specifically designed to be smaller than their SMEE counterparts though.

And yes at 10,000 amps something that "completes the circuit" with the shoe and a dead short to ground can easily be vaporized

And yes at 10,000 amps something that "completes the circuit" with the shoe and a dead short to ground can easily be vaporized

10,000 amps is a lot of current, at 600-650 volts direct current, if you touch metal to metal you will get a huge shower of sparks and bright light. Arc furnaces range from 3,000 to 400,000 amps at something like 40,000 volts DC, so yea, you'd get burned if you survived & if metal touches it, either vaporize or melt.

- A

Archived