Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F**king bullshit man. Riverside TA NABI's are dropping like flies. Today I had one bus die in the morning and another almost stall in the afternoon. The last OP did his run with the engine compartment open. Would've post a pic, but I'd hate for the dude to get in trouble. Those Gillig's on order better arrive soon and be ready to take the beating RTA gives them.

After reading a few replies in the Flushing Park thread I have an off-topic comment to make.

Disney anything is overrated.

That is all.

Meh, you are entitled to your opinion. I have no problems with Disney. Occasional visits there have almost always been great, but I'm more a Universal studios or Busch Gardens/Sea World person now for their rides.

=

The Oscars, well only reason I did watch was for Seth McFarlane and the so called Bond Tribute. The winners were almost all predictable. Best picture, song, actor, actress, supporting actress were all no surprises.

The main surprises I guess was director as I thought it would've gone to Spielberg. Nolan, Whedon, Sam Mendes were all snubbed. Hobbit, Avengers and Dark Knight rises were all snubbed* (best picture). So :flips bird: FU elitist snobs.

*And before anyone says they don't nominate fantasy films, Lord of the Rings Return of the King won it all, so it's not like there's a reason not to include such films. And Avatar almost won if not for the Hurt Locker (which hardly anyone saw).

Edited by Grand Concourse

Calling all cheapskates (checkmate, I see you ;) ) and coffee lovers.

So I've been stopping by BK a lot lately and been taking advantage of their $0.25 coffee promotion. Went in twice and bought four iced coffee's all together and bought another two today. It almost makes up for the near $10.00 combo I had today for lunch.

But seriously, take advantage of it. It's pretty good for the price and if you like coffee as much as I do you won't be complaining.

I should add the promotion is only untill March 10th.

The only fast food coffee I'd even go anywhere near would be McD's.... at least it doesn't taste burned.

Oscars were a giant circlejerk and Daniel Day Lewis is awesome, but as my Business Law professor put it, he literally gets too deep into his character... it's why he's only done a handful of movies since In The Name of the Father came out.

Speaking of which, that movie will be 20 years old in December.

7-Eleven coffee is better

...and im not saying that only cuz I work there lol

Sure. You seem very unbiased....

Riiiight..... ^_^

I'm going with Starbucks, despite how hipster-proned it can be.

It's alright, but at those prices I'd prefer to go to an actual coffee bar.

The only fast food coffee I'd even go anywhere near would be McD's.... at least it doesn't taste burned.

lol@ Little man Up Front going to Mickey D's... 

So I've been stopping by BK a lot lately and been taking advantage of their $0.25 coffee promotion. Went in twice and bought four iced coffee's all together and bought another two today. It almost makes up for the near $10.00 combo I had today for lunch.

But seriously, take advantage of it. It's pretty good for the price and if you like coffee as much as I do you won't be complaining.

I should add the promotion is only untill March 10th.

$.25 cents for coffee?? I wonder what they're putting in there besides coffee... <_< The cheapest "deal" I can get is usually $6.00 ($3.00 for a macchiato or an espresso w a/$3.00 pain au raisin or croissant).

7-Eleven coffee is better

...and im not saying that only cuz I work there lol

lol... I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a 7-Eleven.... The place skeeves me out for some reason.

Riiiight..... ^_^

I'm going with Starbucks, despite how hipster-proned it can be.

lol...  I cringe every time I see a Starbucks.  

It's alright, but at those prices I'd prefer to go to an actual coffee bar.

I agree... At those prices you can get MUCH BETTER coffee and not the artificial garbage that they sell.  I remember in my old office they would actually buy Starbucks as the office coffee and even then I was reluctant to have it.  The only way I'll drink it is if someone is buying it for me and I don't want to offend them, but quite frankly I wouldn't spend my money on it.  I'm picky about my coffee and to be honest I really haven't found that many great coffee places that I'm fond of here in city, esp. in comparison to what I would drink back in Italy. There is one spot that I go to (Belgian place) that has GREAT coffee (nice organic coffee to be exact from South America I believe) and after that I have a few Italian spots that have respectable macchiatos or espressos.  There's actually a Korean spot that I stop at over by 32nd and 5th on the way to Staten Island that sells EXCELLENT coffee from Naples that is fantastic.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

$.25 cents for coffee?? I wonder what they're putting in there besides coffee... <_< The cheapest "deal" I can get is usually $6.00 ($3.00 for a macchiato or an espresso w a/$3.00 pain au raisin or croissant).

lol... I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a 7-Eleven.... The place skeeves me out for some reason.

lol...  I cringe every time I see a Starbucks.  

I agree... At those prices you can get MUCH BETTER coffee and not the artificial garbage that they sell.  I remember in my old office they would actually buy Starbucks as the office coffee and even then I was reluctant to have it.  The only way I'll drink it is if someone is buying it for me and I don't want to offend them, but quite frankly I wouldn't spend my money on it.  I'm picky about my coffee and to be honest I really haven't found that many great coffee places that I'm fond of here in city, esp. in comparison to what I would drink back in Italy. There is one spot that I go to (Belgian place) that has GREAT coffee (nice organic coffee to be exact from South America I believe) and after that I have a few Italian spots that have respectable macchiatos or espressos.  There's actually a Korean spot that I stop at over by 32nd and 5th on the way to Staten Island that sells EXCELLENT coffee from Naples that is fantastic.

Well the coffee BK is serving is a new blend from Seattles Best, which seems to be less refined so to speak. Up untill now they've been using the regular blend of Seattles Best, which is said to be as good as Starbucks. They way I see it, the cost savings must be high for them to offer $0.25 coffee, but I'm not complaining. Now when this promotion is over, I'm not going near that stuff again.

On a side note, I actually find 7-Eleven to be more costly on many items when compared to independent businesses.

And for me, I go to actual coffee houses for the atmosphere more than anything. Nothing better than going in on an evening and relaxing with a warm drink, catching up with some work, or just listening to some music.

Well the coffee BK is serving is a new blend from Seattles Best, which seems to be less refined so to speak. Up untill now they've been using the regular blend of Seattles Best, which is said to be as good as Starbucks. They way I see it, the cost savings must be high for them to offer $0.25 coffee, but I'm not complaining. Now when this promotion is over, I'm not going near that stuff again.

On a side note, I actually find 7-Eleven to be more costly on many items when compared to independent businesses.

And for me, I go to actual coffee houses for the atmosphere more than anything. Nothing better than going in on an evening and relaxing with a warm drink, catching up with some work, or just listening to some music.

I agree but I'm an espresso/macchiato guy so I'm not the type to stay long in a coffee house... I like to have my double shot espresso or macchiato and then be on my way or have my double shot on the go.  Funny thing is back in Italy when I went to bars (the equivalent of a coffee house) I'd sit and have a double macchiato and chat it up with a good buddy of mine.  I actually decided to do an exchange program where I met an Italian and practiced my Italian and the Italian guy got to practice his English.  We were both linguists so we'd just go back and forth between Italian and English but he was a professional interpreter who would translate from German to Italian, so the exchange was more cultural than linguistic since it gave me a chance to get to know Florence better from an insider and he got to understand New York and the US better.  

I actually wound up moving out of my apt. early since it meant that I would get my deposit back sooner ($1,600.00) and used that money to do more traveling and moved into the 2 bedroom flat (aka apt.) that his parents had bought for him in Florence.  It was a great set up since he was looking for a roommate and I was usually out and about traveling and doing my photography and he was out and about interpreting or meeting up w/this chick he was into, but occasionally we'd do the coffee house thing and then we would spend hours sitting there yacking it up over macchiatos.

Speaking of coffee houses, this one time we're leaving this one coffee house by the apt. and as soon as we get out on the sidewalk we see these foreign women just flaunting themselves and all of these foreign guys looking like crazy... It was obvious that they must've been prostitutes and we're sitting there looking at each other like MY GOD, do you see these women??!?! They were like half naked, not bad looking but certainly not something you'd want to bring home to mamma.  :lol: That's probably the best coffee house story I can think of.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Bored to DEATH at work so I'm dropping by. Miss you guys. *tear*

I told VG8 about this already a couple of months ago, but I had a similar situation to what he had. I was bar hopping with my lady and we walked into this bar in the village. So I walked in and asked for a drink. No later I noticed that there's bras and panties attached to the walls of the bar.

Then two ladies approched us wearing MAID UNIFORMS, fishnet stockings and high heels. They ask us if we are enjoying ourselves... So I'm meanwhile stunned, but my girl was not having it. She literally pulled me from the collar and dragged my tail out of the bar, gave me a mouthful and even slapped me! Now that I'm looking back at this, I'm laughing at myself. of course I'm much more careful now lol ouch.

Another time while I was still in college I was searching for an apartment and found an ad in craigslist for an apartment in Jackson Heights in Queens. OK price seems right and the apt seems legit from the pics on the ad, close to the (E) and (F) trains @ the QBL so I went ahead to check it out. It turns out it's actually a room (false advertising) and a tenant living there mentioned that there are hookers from a foriegn country which I won't mention here, who, well, ummm..... you get the picture. Obviously I did'nt take the keys for this apartment.

I have this deli just a five minute walk away that serves some damn good coffee for a good price.   A large was only $2.75 and it tasted good, it kept me going when LIPA claimed my power would be on by November 3rd only for them to tell me all of Valley Stream had its power back the next day.

I messed the headphone jack on my old iPod touch up... sad, because the iPod itself is still fine.  Maybe when I get my license and car, I'll just get one of those kits that plugs into where the USB cable goes.  I tried ordering another iPod but Amazon is telling me it's not arriving until March 20th. 

I was like WTF when I saw this in an article this morning concerning what is called 'geki-sema share houses - 激せまシャアハウス ' in Tokyo. They look like they're school lockers but low income residents in the city actually rent out these units. For about $600 US dollars in change a resident can rent a 50 to 75 square foot coffer apartment in units stacked on top one another, where you cannot even stand upright to move around. Sorely lacking in amenities, no windows. It's a symptom of a seriously out of control real estate market in Tokyo.

In the pics it shows one of the dwellings occupied by a 19 year old student who is pursuing her dreams of going into the performing arts. I guess she is humbly trying to make the best of her situation.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news29734.html

tiny-coffin-apartments1_bfae2.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments2_69499.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments3_124ca.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments5_b2e24.jpg